Author Topic: How to Find a Cosplay Group/Community?  (Read 7283 times)

Offline codeviolet

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 48
How to Find a Cosplay Group/Community?
« on: December 06, 2015, 11:53:49 AM »
After attending SDCC I've developed a new passion for cosplaying! I'm interested in meeting up with/getting involved in a cosplay group/community but I'm not sure where to start looking for one. I recently moved out of CA (where it probably would have been easiest to find a group) to AZ so I'm in a new environment and am still pretty unaware of my surroundings. But I know I love dressing up and I could use tons of help as far as learning to sew/make props/applying bodypaint/etc. As far as genre goes, I'm up for anything but my best finished costume is Ahsoka Tano (Star Wars The Clone Wars). I thought it would be fun/easy to try to find a Star Wars Cosplaying group with the movie coming out in just a few weeks but apparently my googling skills are lacking. So I've here asking about advice in finding fellow cosplayers! Is it too weird to facebook stalk/message people whose pictures are featured in Arizona Cons and ask them if they're part of a community?

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: How to Find a Cosplay Group/Community?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 05:22:41 PM »
I'm not part of a community of the kind you're seeking, but I believe they have some connections to groups like that on cosplay.com. Check out the forums there. Also, you may want to look into the 501st Legion, which has branches all over the country. They focus on stormtrooper costumes, but include other Star Wars costumes. I believe there is also an active online group of Slave Leia cosplayers. I know there are other Star Wars groups out there.

Another way to find cosplayers in the same area is to go to cons and attend fandom meetups/group photos in your fandom. Cons like ECCC really promote these kinds of gatherings, so you may be able to find something local in that way.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:36:00 PM »

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 05:39:13 PM »
From my daughter:

Tell them to search FB.  There's star wars cosplay, etc. The replica prop forum is really great for talking to people about projects. And the cosplay amino app; you can join chats of people in your area.

She also mentions 501st, as well as cosplay.com.  Highest recommended is the app, cosplay amino. 

Where are you in Arizona?  We are in Phoenix.

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 364
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 08:22:28 PM »
There are some local cosplay groups that attend the local cons, and do some charity work.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 10:31:14 AM »
I'm not super knowledgeable on this subject, but I'll tell you the little I do know. Aside from the 501 chapter in AZ, there's a rather large group on Facebook just under the name "Phoenix Comicon" which is entirely consisted of fans of nerd/pop culture around the convention. It's actually very active, and the people there reach out to each other and have events often (very active in just sharing/chat as well). You might have some luck if you reached out there about cosplay groups, or if you just want to meet people or share some fun nerdy things. Most people in the group are in the Phoenix metro area as well, if that helps

Also, I'm jealous of your Ahsoka cosplay! I was hoping to make one before the movie, or at least for SDCC, but it looks like that idea has been pushed back. Welcome to AZ though,  I live in Tucson myself :)

Offline codeviolet

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 05:16:03 PM »
Thank you everyone for weighing in! There are tons of great ideas here that I've already started looking in to!

Jun: I would love to join the 501st/Rebel Legion but it looks like I need to upgrade my lightsaber first! Looks like they have really high standards to join but I guess thats the fun of it!

Tardis: I'm in Glendale- maybe just 15 minutes from Phoenix- so it sounds like I'm not too removed from all the action! If you or your daughter are in any groups I'd love to tagalong to a meet up sometime!

Louie: Volunteering/Charity workssounds great! I need to get some super hero cosplays ASAP! You wouldn't happen to know of any Star Wars ones would you....haha I guess thats for an older generation....

Epicaz: I'm super excited to go as Ahsoka! I'm afraid they won't let me wear the headpiece into the theatre though D: AMC also said no facepaint so I have to forego the 'skin' body paint but I'm going to try to sneak the white face markings by them....I live just right outside of Phoenix so if you know anyone in the area who is part of any groups I'd really appreciate an introduction!

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »
I believe this is the Phoenix chapter of the local star wars 501

And here is another :

Hope you come out to phx comicon this year!

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2015, 02:26:06 PM »
Facebook is the quickest and easiest route. There's also cosplay.com, which has a nice, little community. I would suggest checking the latter out.

I just signed up for amino, and that looks kind of like a cosplay instagram of sorts. I haven't had time to thoroughly navigate through it, though.

Offline codeviolet

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 09:04:52 PM »
I believe this is the Phoenix chapter of the local star wars 501

And here is another :

Hope you come out to phx comicon this year!

Hey Louie! I'm debating on buying tickets to go to Amazing Arizona Comiccon. Have you been to this one/would you recommend it? I'm afraid my schedule won't allow me to make it to Phoenix Comiccon (but I might make it to SDCC!!!) so I was thinking I at least want to go to one AZ con....I'm just nervous since I've never been to a con other than SDCC and I don't know what to expect in terms of size/turn-out/etc. Let me know what you think-Thanks!

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 09:46:50 PM »
Hey Louie! I'm debating on buying tickets to go to Amazing Arizona Comiccon. Have you been to this one/would you recommend it? I'm afraid my schedule won't allow me to make it to Phoenix Comiccon (but I might make it to SDCC!!!) so I was thinking I at least want to go to one AZ con....I'm just nervous since I've never been to a con other than SDCC and I don't know what to expect in terms of size/turn-out/etc. Let me know what you think-Thanks!
Bummer you can't make phxcc but aacc is a nice substitute.  Its much smaller in size,  it takes at the convention center but in the smaller exhibit hall.  I think its attendance is roughly around 10-15k and heavy focus on comics.

I highly recommend snagging the Groupon - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here is a write up i did of amazing las vegas comic con.  They're both put on by the same organizer so very similar in size and scope.

Also, if u wany to cosplay, the Amazing shows are all about it! It's a very cosplayer friendly show You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hope that helps.  I dont think it holds a candle to phxcc but i still really enjoy the amazing cons

Offline codeviolet

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 09:55:58 AM »
Bummer you can't make phxcc but aacc is a nice substitute.  Its much smaller in size,  it takes at the convention center but in the smaller exhibit hall.  I think its attendance is roughly around 10-15k and heavy focus on comics.

I highly recommend snagging the Groupon - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Here is a write up i did of amazing las vegas comic con.  They're both put on by the same organizer so very similar in size and scope.

Also, if u wany to cosplay, the Amazing shows are all about it! It's a very cosplayer friendly show You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hope that helps.  I dont think it holds a candle to phxcc but i still really enjoy the amazing cons

Thanks so much Louie this was actually super helpful!! I'm not that into comics but I did want to meet up with cosplayers.....I don't know if I could fill up a whole day with just that though :[ Perhaps I will try harder to fit PhxCC into my schedule. Thanks again for your help! Your insight is invaluable! 

Offline edwinfabian

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 11:41:22 AM »

Jun: I would love to join the 501st/Rebel Legion but it looks like I need to upgrade my lightsaber first! Looks like they have really high standards to join but I guess thats the fun of it!

Just my two cents. I'm part of the 501st and the Rebel Legion and it's not too bad. A lot of the parts can be purchased (it just takes a long time to save up the money lol) I'm not a super hardcore cosplayer but I do like to make costumes of movies/shows that I'm into.

Echoing everyone else on here, Facebook has many groups and there are endless forums out there that can help you out. my favorites are

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (general movies)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (star wars)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (power rangers)

Good luck!

Offline codeviolet

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2016, 07:03:41 PM »
Just my two cents. I'm part of the 501st and the Rebel Legion and it's not too bad. A lot of the parts can be purchased (it just takes a long time to save up the money lol) I'm not a super hardcore cosplayer but I do like to make costumes of movies/shows that I'm into.

Echoing everyone else on here, Facebook has many groups and there are endless forums out there that can help you out. my favorites are

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (general movies)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (star wars)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (power rangers)

Good luck!

I placed an order with saberforge 3 months ago for a lightsaber- it should be mailed out this week! Haha $250 but it'll qualify me to join the rebel legion! I hope to join your ranks soon!