Author Topic: MOONFALL: the moon is a jerk?  (Read 1553 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
MOONFALL: the moon is a jerk?
« on: September 02, 2021, 09:44:08 AM »
New teaser trailer dropped this am for MOONFALL.  The film, directed by our leading expert in world-destroying, Roland Emmerich, comes out Feb. 2022 and seems to be about a 'mysterious' thing that pushes the moon out of its orbit and blows up lots of stuff (as happens in many Roland Emmerich films).  Could be a fun one

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
Re: MOONFALL: the moon is a jerk?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 02:51:54 AM »
Well, it is Roland Emmerich, and that gets at least 1 watch from me! :D
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:47:07 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 09:29:29 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well, it is Roland Emmerich, and that gets at least 1 watch from me! :D
Seriously: Roland Emmerich destroying cities/large swaths of earth via the moon = I'll check it out!  Looks like good ol' fashion silly movie fun to me

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 09:58:35 AM »
Ohhhhh...and Halle Berry.  Who could forget her stellar series, Extant? And Michael Pena, of the Netflix movie, Extinction? I have watched that flick at least 4 times. It truly deserves a sequel at least.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 03:26:38 PM »
I watched it last night. Let me preface by saying I have a soft spot for disaster movies with bad science. I like Armageddon and Deep Impact and Day After Tomorrow. Wandering Earth was just barely tolerable, but I even derived enjoyment from San Andreas.

But Moonfall was criminally bad, even for me who expected (and even wanted) the bad. No part of the plot made any sense. What I think was supposed to be the big reveal was entirely underwhelming, even with all the flashy CG that came with it. There was an entire subplot with a group of characters trying to escape disaster that was so transparently done to fill up time, as they didn’t affect the overall story in the slightest. Like not even a little bit.

Don’t even get me started on the “science”.  In most disaster movies, there is at least a modicum of attempt to make it to sound plausible. But not this one. Sometimes you get “science” covered up in technobabble, but they didn’t even attempt that here. The writers simply didn’t care. They just wanted their cool scenes (which admittedly there were a couple).

There are the good bad movies where you can have fun, and you get the sense the actors / actresses are in on it and are having fun too. Moonfall was not one of those movies. It was a bad bad movie.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2022, 12:12:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I watched it last night. Let me preface by saying I have a soft spot for disaster movies with bad science. I like Armageddon and Deep Impact and Day After Tomorrow. Wandering Earth was just barely tolerable, but I even derived enjoyment from San Andreas.

But Moonfall was criminally bad, even for me who expected (and even wanted) the bad. No part of the plot made any sense. What I think was supposed to be the big reveal was entirely underwhelming, even with all the flashy CG that came with it. There was an entire subplot with a group of characters trying to escape disaster that was so transparently done to fill up time, as they didn’t affect the overall story in the slightest. Like not even a little bit.

Don’t even get me started on the “science”.  In most disaster movies, there is at least a modicum of attempt to make it to sound plausible. But not this one. Sometimes you get “science” covered up in technobabble, but they didn’t even attempt that here. The writers simply didn’t care. They just wanted their cool scenes (which admittedly there were a couple).

There are the good bad movies where you can have fun, and you get the sense the actors / actresses are in on it and are having fun too. Moonfall was not one of those movies. It was a bad bad movie.
Ahh, that's too bad.  I heard some bad things from critic friends, but I was hoping it was a good bad movie; maybe Roland Emmerich has lost is touch when it comes to these kinds of movies (or lost the ability to secure a good enough budget to pull off these kinds of things)