Author Topic: Post con Reactions, Reflections, etc all  (Read 6765 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Post con Reactions, Reflections, etc all
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2022, 12:46:43 PM »
Comic-Con 2022, by 21st San Diego Comic-Con, was a good one: I'd say it's a better-than-average Con for me and the fam!  I went to all the panels I really wanted to, a few I kind of wanted to but didn't plan on seeing, got some great swag, bought the few exclusives I really wanted + a few other things, and didn't miss anything I _really_ wanted to see.  Thanks to being in a lineup group for another awesome year I only had to spend one 3 hour shift in line for Saturday Hall H (plus a few hours waiting for wristbands & a few hours Sat. morning waiting to get in) so I can't complain, really.  I scored well with panel swag, and I didn't go over-budget on stuff!  Plus, I kind of unexpectedly got one of my "Infinity Gauntlet" comics signed by artist Ron Lim to go with my Jim Starlin signature I got at SDCC SE (of course, I MUCH rather would've liked to have gotten one of the first couple issues signed by artist George Perez, which would've meant he was still alive, but...you know... :( ).

One reflection this year, is that I WAS WRONG; I was told explicitly by CCI there was no special Pro Entrance into the Exhibit Hall only to see with my own eyes that there was!  I had several Pros convincing us they had indeed used the Pro entrance, explained explicitly where it was, but I chose to believe CCI's information.  That was absolutely wrong!  I of course didn't see that entrance/sign until Thursday late morning/early afternoon when it didn't matter much, but I look forward to utilizing that entrance in 2023.

With the exception of some issues I had with the Hall H line in particular, I have no complaints!  Usually on Tuesday/Wed. afternoon of the week I start wondering if I'm too old for this bit of crazy, if maybe my SDCC days of attending every day are through, if I even really like doing all of this, etc.  For me, Sunday evening driving away from the Gas Lamp I was legit sad for the Con to end.  I didn't need to be on the Exhibit Floor one more time, and I was in the last Hall H panel of the week so I did close that one out, but I was already feeling a bit of sadness that it was over for the year & I couldn't WAIT to be there in 2023!

I look forward to having the dust settle and gearing up for Returning Badge Sales (to help out friends since I don't really need it w/my Pro badge). 

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2022, 12:59:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I also don't know why in an era where "tv is king" both WC and SDCC dropped the ball on those. I know they tend to rely on the WB/CW properties and CW is looking like it's about to be dismantled, but there are plenty of shows on streaming platforms that would fit right in at SDCC. We shouldn't have to pay $300+ to go to what is essentially a flea market with lackluster panels. Panels is what really drew me to SDCC to begin with, but now I barely find anything worth scheduling. I did have some minor FOMO because the atmosphere and especially the weather looked great, but I didn't have any regrets about skipping it this year. Maybe I'll do every other year from now on or go explore other conventions around the country.

You do realize that SDCC, has zero influence in what panels to show right? That’s a decision for the studios and channels/streamers to make. All SDCC can do is offer the time slots and if it gets filled, it gets filled. If not, then you have a situation where they basically just had a movie screening of Lightyear and no panel for any Disney movies.

I don’t disagree with your assessment that companies are using Covid as a cover, but I think It’s more economic than anything. No panels means no costs to transport in talent, no rooms to book, no real effort to make at booths or swag. A lot of marketing departments got affected, and part of me suspects that with Covid around, studios and companies will use it as cover to save money, limit their costs. Which means fewer panels or, if they do have a panel, less talent on the panels. They still filled the schedule, so it’s not like there’s a lack of things to discuss whether it’s about comics, toys, cartoons, collecting, etc.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 04:49:09 AM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2022, 02:10:18 PM »
Here is my review of the con.

In short, I had a terrific time! There were some things missing, but still more than enough to fill my time and cause me to make hard choices. I did not meet anyone who felt like they had been able to do everything that they wanted. And ultimately, that's what we want, right? A con so filled with options that we have choices. CCSE and WonderCon were severely lacking in that department. SDCC was so much closer to 'normal'.

Offline Angology

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2022, 02:29:27 PM »
I usually spend a lot of time in the interactive zone and the food trucks are almost always a go-to for lunch for me and the fact they had a massive security choke point soured me to the whole thing. I went there once on Thursday and every other day I tried to go back, the line for security was basically around the block when I was looking to go in. It was extremely discouraging because it's one of my favorite parts of SDCC.
I felt bad for the food trucks in Petco. The security line definitely affected the traffic they would see at a huge event like this one. I went specifically for Ghosts, but we sometimes go there just for lunch, but we didn't this year, because of the line.
Ang

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
Re: Post con Reactions, etc all
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2022, 03:55:55 PM »
I thought I felt tremors! Everyone else slept through...my first earthquake! Yeeehah.
If it makes you feel better I've lived in San Diego since summer 1999 and I've probably felt earthquakes _maybe_ 5 times: almost every time was when it was large enough to make national news  :P

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2022, 04:06:52 PM »
You do realize that SDCC, has zero influence in what panels to show right? That’s a decision for the studios and channels/streamers to make. All SDCC can do is offer the time slots and if it gets filled, it gets filled. If not, then you have a situation where they basically just had a movie screening of Lightyear and no panel for any Disney movies.

I don’t disagree with your assessment that companies are using Covid as a cover, but I think It’s more economic than anything. No panels means no costs to transport in talent, no rooms to book, no real effort to make at booths or swag. A lot of marketing departments got affected, and part of me suspects that with Covid around, studios and companies will use it as cover to save money, limit their costs. Which means fewer panels or, if they do have a panel, less talent on the panels. They still filled the schedule, so it’s not like there’s a lack of things to discuss whether it’s about comics, toys, cartoons, collecting, etc.
Not to mention what COVID protocols may be like for studios, as well as in other countries.  For example, when "Peacemaker" was shooting in Canada, actors had to quarantine for 2 weeks when entering the country; if a production is shooting in another country with stricter protocols, or studios require production members (actors & on-set crew) to be in a 'bubble,' I can see why studios wouldn't want a potential disruption in their schedules.  I was almost surprised there were as many 'big' panels as there were, and a panel like Marvel had so many cast/crew: it didn't escape me that the casts they had up on stage in Hall H were wrapped so this was more of a marketing/promotional thing rather than when, say, CAPTAIN AMERICA had just started shooting a few days when the cast & director flew from Europe to USA for the Hall H panel and then flew back the next day to resume shooting.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2022, 07:31:58 PM »
Not to mention what COVID protocols may be like for studios, as well as in other countries.

Didn't at least one studio say they didn't send their talent because they can't risk covid shutting down production.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2022, 09:15:35 PM »
Didn't at least one studio say they didn't send their talent because they can't risk covid shutting down production.

I won a few limited signings for Disney animation shows, usually done in person to meet staff and talent. But this year, all posters were pre-signed and just given to you at the signing times. Some panels did have their talent there, it was the in-person part Disney must have we forbid.

Offline waltbionik

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 100
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2022, 12:50:01 AM »
Comic-Con 2022, by 21st San Diego Comic-Con, was a good one: I'd say it's a better-than-average Con for me and the fam!  I went to all the panels I really wanted to, a few I kind of wanted to but didn't plan on seeing, got some great swag, bought the few exclusives I really wanted + a few other things, and didn't miss anything I _really_ wanted to see.  Thanks to being in a lineup group for another awesome year I only had to spend one 3 hour shift in line for Saturday Hall H (plus a few hours waiting for wristbands & a few hours Sat. morning waiting to get in) so I can't complain, really.  I scored well with panel swag, and I didn't go over-budget on stuff!  Plus, I kind of unexpectedly got one of my "Infinity Gauntlet" comics signed by artist Ron Lim to go with my Jim Starlin signature I got at SDCC SE (of course, I MUCH rather would've liked to have gotten one of the first couple issues signed by artist George Perez, which would've meant he was still alive, but...you know... :( ).

One reflection this year, is that I WAS WRONG; I was told explicitly by CCI there was no special Pro Entrance into the Exhibit Hall only to see with my own eyes that there was!  I had several Pros convincing us they had indeed used the Pro entrance, explained explicitly where it was, but I chose to believe CCI's information.  That was absolutely wrong!  I of course didn't see that entrance/sign until Thursday late morning/early afternoon when it didn't matter much, but I look forward to utilizing that entrance in 2023.

Where is the Pro Entrance into the Exhibit Hall. I'm a pro and I've never heard of this.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2022, 01:37:07 AM »
I'm back home, unpacking while listening to the Shangi-Chi soundtrack (SDCC exclusive color edition, purchased at Mondo booth. :) )

I had a great time at this year's SDCC. I still have to think about whether it's up there with one of my top tier years (2012/2018) or one notch behind, but I really enjoyed myself. I had a little bit of trepidation at first because the panel schedule did seem a lot lighter than usual with some very glaring omissions (CW/WB) and no Preview Night screenings, I wasn't thrilled about the lack of the Souvenir Book, the lack of carpet in the exhibit hall was concerning, and while most conventions are doing away with the hassle of vaccine checks, CCI not only holds onto them but decides to put additional resources into them (i.e. clear app) this late in the game.

But, none of those turned out to be dealbreakers. There were still enough great panels to fill up my schedule, the Rocketeer design that should have been on the Souvenir Book made it to the back of the quick guide, my feet didn't hurt from walking the exhibit hall, and getting the wristband didn't take too long, although being stuck with a wristband for 5 days--let alone a paper one--was problematic. (I realize I could have gotten new ones, but having to replace it every day is also problematic.)

But the main reason I enjoyed myself so much was how relaxed it was. (That was also one of the reasons why 2018 was my favorite year.) The vast majority of panels were walk-ins or close to it, even many that normally aren't. With the obvious exception of Hall H on Saturday, there was next to no camping out which made for a far less sleep-deprived and less aggro crowd.

But I did get caught in one complete fail this year, and that was the Ozzy signing on Friday. I won the lottery and got in line at 7:30 to get the wristband, which was barely moving. Then they separated out the "non-Ozzy people" and there were still a ton of people left for Ozzy. It took over an hour to get the wristband, and seeing how many people were there, I didn't see how they'd get through that anywhere near that many people in two one-hour signing sessions. I was right. My signing session was at 12. I skipped out of Indigo at 11:45 and got there at 12 and the line was capped. Nothing that requires winning a drawing that you have to pick up a wristband for in the morning should ever be capped. But not only was it capped, there were at least three huge overflow lines, and no one knew which one was official until they arbitrarily designated one of them as the official one at around 12:30 and then told people from the other ones to go to the back of that one. By that point, I hadn't noticed any movement in the official line, so I guessed it would be at least a few hours, and that's if I even were to get in. By that point I figured that I probably wouldn't make it back to Indigo Ballroom if I stayed, so I just cut my losses and went back to Indigo.

But aside from that, the convention was great. There may have been fewer big name exclusives, but the Exhibit Hall was very manageable every day (even Saturday) and I got nearly everything that I was interested in. Some highlights: the hand-cast Ultramayan (an Ultraman spinoff) from DKE Toys, both the 100% Soft Dumpster Fire exclusives, 1953-style Snoopy figure from Peanuts, Shang-Chi vinyl from Mondo, Space Usagi foil cover (signed by Stan Sakai) and Chibi Usagi Yojimbo plush, and handmade "Avocadog" plush from Furry Feline Creatives. Also I walked up to Hallmark at the end of the day and picked up the Spider Gwen ornament which was pretty cool (and reminiscent of 2018 when I was able to get the Iron Giant from Ready Player One ornament at the very end with zero line.)

The panels did not disappoint. Even though there were much fewer hard choices, nearly everything I saw was top-notch. The new animated shows Koala Man and Little Demon were hilarious. Genndy T talking about Primal was great and so was the Gremlins prequel. It was nice to see an actual DC Animated Movie this time, Green Lantern: Beware My Power. And I thought panel swag was just as good this year as any year. Got T-shirts from Little Demon and Archer. And, of course, the Funko panel (which I walked right into at 2:45) had the greatest swag ever.

During CCSE, it didn't sound like the studios would come but I had hoped that they'd have screenings without panels. They didn't. But during SDCC 2022, they actually had a lot of these. While I'd prefer a screening with panel, if a studio doesn't want to send its people there for any reason then it seems like a no brainer to at least give us a screening. We got these with Bob's Burgers, Family Guy, and the Lightyear movie. It still is fun to see things before everyone else does (at least for the former two.)

I attended a couple of offsite evening events this year. Stone w00t X was alright (great beer and I enjoyed talking to the brewers, although I found the attendees to be a bit cliquish and I really was annoyed that Stone ran out of all the meat empanadas by 8:20 when the event was supposed to be until 11...and I also just realized that they gave us glasses that were dated 2019). But, I also went to the Crunchyroll-sponsored Dragon Ball Z Experience with the San Diego Symphony at the Rady Shell, and that was truly epic. That had to be my favorite off-site event at any SDCC, ever, period. The orchestra sounded flawless, they brought in a Japanese singer for some of the songs, and then all of that against a beautiful venue with views of the harbor on all sides made for an evening I won't ever forget.

Before the convention I was questioning if it would feel like an actual SDCC with the restrictions and reduced content, but by the time I walked out the door on Sunday evening there was absolutely zero doubt that the SDCC we know and love is back.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 01:58:36 AM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline CHEYS671Guam

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2022, 09:53:32 AM »
I had a great Comic-con but I underestimated how tired I would be once it was over. LOL! I had to cancel my trip to Denver so that I can take the time to recover, especially with sleep.

Offline ALF

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 320
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2022, 10:09:57 AM »
Two things determined how my con went this year.
1. Covid
2. Lack of Exclusives Lego Minifig

For the last ten years I always had most of my days chew up lining up for mini figs. This year end up sleeping in and going to Sea World instead. After a decade of dedicating to lego exclusive, was shell shock on what to do with day. Still end up randomly waiting in line for a TNMT autograph and signing up for the Severance off site.

As for the Covid thing, I decided to stay away from most parties and panels and offsite. I for one am glad CCI was adamant about the mask and vaccine policy. Looking at the Got Covid thread on this forum, I think majority probably agrees.

Offline angi

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2022, 10:20:55 AM »
Less people,shorter lines, they took the busses out of the front area to make that huge walkway which was awesome. I had a great time.

Offline VeggieKitten

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2022, 12:21:38 PM »
I won a few limited signings for Disney animation shows, usually done in person to meet staff and talent. But this year, all posters were pre-signed and just given to you at the signing times. Some panels did have their talent there, it was the in-person part Disney must have we forbid.
Oh, which Disney shows were they?

Offline jacmaryang

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2022, 01:31:29 PM »
I had a great time this year! It was so nice to be back! I met some more FoCC members in person this year which was super nice. :) Had my first Fundays experience which was really great. The people I sat with were AWESOME!

I saw the panels I wanted to see. I mostly bought what I wanted to buy (maybe a bit too much). I did miss the carpet, LEGO exclusives, and WB/DC on the floor. But overall I had a blast and am so thankful that I got to see my con friends after 3 years. :)

As a note about the Ozzy signing, my husband won the 1:10pm signing and had a similar experience as hikanteki. Took about an hour to get a wristband in sails in the morning. Went to the floor around 12:35pm and the line for Ozzy was capped (which was surprising). Line was barely moving and it looked like it would take hours. He decided to skip it around 1:10pm and we walked around the floor instead. Around 1:40pm or so we decided to go back and check out the line. The line was no longer capped and it was moving much faster. My husband finished around 2:10pm. They were really rushing people toward the end. Ozzy was head's down, signing, and not looking at people so he could sign as quickly as possibly.