Author Topic: Glass Onion - now on Netflix  (Read 1633 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Glass Onion - now on Netflix
« on: December 24, 2022, 09:55:38 AM »
I _really_ liked this film when it was in theaters during Thanksgiving, and now, Christmas weekend, it's dropped on Netflix for the world to enjoy.  Here are some brief comments I made last month about this masterpiece:

GLASS ONION I'm an unabashed writer/director Rian Johnson fan; I haven't seen a movie of his yet that I haven't really liked, if not loved.  His first film post-SW was KNIVES OUT, an incredibly fun 'murder mystery' with an incredible cast anchored by star Daniel Craig as the Foghorn Leghorn-accented private detective, that seemingly resonated with a lot of people.  For me, KNIVES OUT is a wildly entertaining mystery/character showcase that's an absolute blast, and set the bar HIGH for a follow-up.  Well, GLASS ONION at worst met my expectations, and maybe exceeds it, with an equally entertaining cast & story.  I won't go into too many details, as part of the fun of these mysteries is the twists and turns, but needless to say billionaire tech bro Edward Norton and his 'disruptor' buddies feel like characters written in August based on Elon Musk yet somehow Johnson presciently crafted a film that 100% speaks to _now_ in a wildly funny way.  The setting this time is a private Greek island with a cast of suspects that all had a motive.  Throw in some funny cameos (Angela Lansbury & Steven Soundheim's final film performance, I think, is one) and you have a really entertaining couple of hours.  The film is in theaters only until tonight before hitting Netflix the Friday before Christmas in a head-scratching move (this film could EASILY clear $100m + in a week or two of wide-release, yet is being yanked against theater owner wishes after a mere week in theaters).

This is a film that repeat viewings richly rewards.  Johnson, as stated by Craig's character Benoit Blanc, does indeed leave all the clues in plain site.  The fun is how much this film skewers not only billionaire tech bros as well as internet 'influencers.'  Somehow Rian Johnson made a movie that was immediately of-the-moment when it was released in November 2022, even though it was written years ago and filmed summer of 2021: LONG before Elon Musk's adventures w/Twitter disruption.

I can't recommend this film enough, and for those of us that might need a few hours respite from family visiting, or something other than the usual holiday movie/specials on the TV, this PG-13 mystery dense with comedy and commentary is on Netflix now

Offline stove19

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
Re: Glass Onion - now on Netflix
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2022, 04:49:34 PM »
We saw this in theaters on Thanksgiving and can’t wait to go back and watch it again. This was better than the first Knives Out to me. As fans of the first one and frequent moviegoers, this was something we sought out, but I am surprised with how little broad promotion I’ve seen for it. After seeing the movie, I told many people to watch it when it came out on Netflix, and not one person knew what I was talking about or that Knives Out was even getting a sequel. With how great it is and how much Netflix invested to get the franchise, I would think there would be more of a push. I want this movie to succeed so the franchise continues!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:14:09 PM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2022, 12:07:50 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
We saw this in theaters on Thanksgiving and can’t wait to go back and watch it again. This was better than the first Knives Out to me. As fans of the first one and frequent moviegoers, this was something we sought out, but I am surprised with how little broad promotion I’ve seen for it. After seeing the movie, I told many people to watch it when it came out on Netflix, and not one person knew what I was talking about or that Knives Out was even getting a sequel. With how great it is and how much Netflix invested to get the franchise, I would think there would be more of a push. I want this movie to succeed so the franchise continues!
Yeah, it's really odd that Netflix dropped $400m just for the _rights_ to make the sequels, and then another $40m for the GLASS ONION production budget, only to release it in limited theaters for 7 days.  I too loved both films, and seeing GLASS ONION on opening day (Wed. before Thanksgiving) in theaters was a priority for me (I saw FABLEMANS in the afternoon, GLASS ONION at night, both opening day)!  I know Scorsese has a bit more pull in Hollywood ANSD a substantially bigger budget, but at least his IRISHMAN got 26 days in select theaters (though no where in San Diego where I live, 'forcing' me to drive up to LA to see it).  ROMA also played for several weeks, albeit with significantly smaller amount of venues.  It feels like GLASS ONION easily could've made it's production budget back with just another week in theaters, if not $100m if they went wide the week after Thanksgiving and played for an additional 2 weeks before disappearing for a week in order to build hype for Netflix release.

That all being said, I don't work for a studio, so box office is only a trivial topic for me.  I try to center thoughts on logic, which is why I think too much about this stuff more often that not.  The cool thing was there wasn't a TON of talk about GLASS ONION Thanksgiving week, and the last 5 days I've seen soooo much talk on social media from folks who had fun with this during the Holidays.  I have no clue what makes an original production "successful" for a streaming company, but I'm glad a lot of folks I know are now able to enjoy this film.  I honestly don't know if I liked it more/less than KNIVES OUT, as they seem like such different 'murder mysteries.'  I love how much they're "similar-but-different" and I especially love how all the 'clues' in GLASS ONION are absolutely in plain view.  I personally would be elated to see Rian Johnson make another half dozen or so of these movies with impeccable casts, fun dialogue and situations, and intriguing mysteries to solve

Offline spritegirl24_7

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 04:25:02 PM »
Such a good film. Just like with Knives Out, I find myself picking up on new details with every rewatch. Looking forward to more of the movies to come in Rian Johnson’s franchise. I just hope maybe the next one will be out in theaters longer than a week.