Author Topic: In Memoriam  (Read 117094 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: In Memoriam
« Reply #645 on: March 10, 2023, 09:06:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Topol, the Israeli actor who played the milkman Tevye in both the Broadway play and movie “Fiddler on the Roof” (1971), passed away.  He was 87.  He also had a role as Dr. Zarkov in the movie version of “Flash Gordon” (1980) and in the James Bond movie “For Your Eyes Only” (1981).

As much as he absolutely IS Tevye, he will ALWAYS be Dr. Hans Zarkov from FLASH GORDON to me.  I grew up with that movie, as it seemed to be on HBO every other week, and I would drop everything to watch every time: even as I kid I knew it was campy, goofy fun!  I actually rented FIDDLER ON THE ROOF because I saw "Dr. Zarkov stars in this?!" and was mesmerized as a middle schooler by the singing & dancing and what not.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #646 on: March 13, 2023, 01:15:08 AM »
Robert Blake, the 70s TV actor made famous by ABC’s “Baretta,” passed away in Los Angeles of heart disease, according to his niece.  He was 89.
Before “Baretta,” he first got his acting chops by appearing in “Our Gang” films, aka “The Little Rascals” as Mickey in 1939-44 and later appeared on the big screen as a murderer in “In Cold Blood” (1967). 
Then in 2001, he became infamous as he was linked to a real-life murder of his wife in Los Angeles.  He was put on trial but acquitted by a jury in 2005 after key prosecution witnesses proved to be unreliable. 
In 2010, he did make one appearance at an autograph-signing event in Burbank but not all fans were happy to see him there.
In 2013, he told interviewer Piers Morgan on CNN “My goal in life is to make one more beautiful film.”  If that happened, he said, “I’ll go out the way I want to go out.”
That role never came.

WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #647 on: Today at 04:42:56 AM »

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #647 on: March 14, 2023, 06:23:45 PM »
Rolly Crump. Well known to any Disney parks fan. He was instrumental in bringing the weird and creative to Disneyland, and spent his later years interacting with fans in the coolest of ways. Everyone who met him has a Rolly story.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #648 on: March 15, 2023, 10:48:30 AM »
Rolly Crump. Well known to any Disney parks fan. He was instrumental in bringing the weird and creative to Disneyland, and spent his later years interacting with fans in the coolest of ways. Everyone who met him has a Rolly story.

For Disney park 'nerds,' I think it's no understatement to say Crump was a legit legend of Disney.  I got to meet him years ago when he was a keynote speaker for an educator conference, and he was as kind and humble as he was seemingly brilliantly creative.  You could tell that he reveled being the "oddball" creative on staff, and I think Walt appreciated his outside-the-box approach to projects.  Obviously his legacy is all over the Disney parks, and it's cool to ride The Haunted Mansion and see so much of it not too different from what Rolly created/designed (albeit, I think, a bit less dark/scary than some of his original ideas).

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #649 on: March 17, 2023, 01:09:32 PM »
Actor Lance Reddick has died of natural causes at the age of 60.  I think his best work was in "The Wire," where he played Baltimore PD Lieutenant Cedrick Daniels: a show I'm coincidentally 'binging' currently (I realized I'd only, criminally, seen the 1st season; I'm currently almost done w/season 2).  He's always in the John Wick films, and has been doing press for JOHN WICK 4; he played Charon, the concierge of The Continental.

Fun trivia I didn't know until now: he got his Bachelors in Music Composition from Eastman, one of the top music schools in the country!  He also got his Masters in Drama from Yale. 
I knew he had the acting chops, but now I kinda really need to hear his music compositions!

Real bummer
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 01:15:11 PM by perc2100 »

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
« Reply #650 on: March 17, 2023, 01:19:18 PM »
Actor Lance Reddick has died of natural causes at the age of 60.  I think his best work was in "The Wire," where he played Baltimore PD Lieutenant Cedrick Daniels: a show I'm coincidentally 'binging' currently (I realized I'd only, criminally, seen the 1st season; I'm currently almost done w/season 2).  He's always in the John Wick films, and has been doing press for JOHN WICK 4; he played Charon, the concierge of The Continental.

Fun trivia I didn't know until now: he got his Bachelors in Music Composition from Eastman, one of the top music schools in the country!  He also got his Masters in Drama from Yale. 
I knew he had the acting chops, but now I kinda really need to hear his music compositions!

Real bummer

He was also great in Fringe - the only JJ Abrams project that I’ve loved from start to finish.

60 is young to die from natural causes. Super sad.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #651 on: March 17, 2023, 02:15:08 PM »

Real bummer

Major Bummer!!! 
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #652 on: April 10, 2023, 02:57:15 PM »

An unconfirmed but credible source is reporting the Al Jaffee has passed on

He is notable for his work in the satirical magazine Mad, including his trademark feature, the Mad Fold-in. Jaffee was a regular contributor to the magazine for 65 years and is its longest-running contributor. In a 2010 interview, Jaffee said, "Serious people my age are dead."[4]

With a career running from 1942 until 2020, Jaffee holds the Guinness World Record for having the longest-ever career as a comic artist.[5][6] In the fifty years between April 1964 and April 2013, only one bimonthly issue of Mad was published without containing new material by Jaffee.

In 2008, Jaffee was honored by the Reuben Awards as the Cartoonist of the Year. New Yorker cartoonist Arnold Roth said, "Al Jaffee is one of the great cartoonists of our time."[9] Describing Jaffee, Peanuts creator Charles M. Schulz wrote, "Al can cartoon anything".
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #653 on: April 10, 2023, 03:38:51 PM »

An unconfirmed but credible source is reporting the Al Jaffee has passed on
This is being widely reported now: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
His death, at a hospital, was caused by multi-system organ failure, his granddaughter Fani Thomson said.
What an absolute icon for those of us who grew up reading Mad Magazine (or, like me, never _really_ grew up  :P ).  I knew he was old, but didn't realize he was 102!  He was still working in, like, 2008 at least!!
Jaffee created the Mad fold-in back cover: that has to be one of the longest-running 'features' of the Magazine.
True cartoonist legend/icon

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #654 on: April 10, 2023, 03:45:26 PM »
His sig is left of Eastman

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Conceived in 1964 as a poor-cousin parody of the multi-page foldouts that were appearing in glossy magazines such as Life and Playboy, the fold-in became a regular feature and often provided the sole note of direct editorializing in the pages of Mad.

One 1968 panel, done at the height of the Vietnam War, showed students outside a job center and asked, “What is the one thing most school dropouts are sure to become?”

It folded to depict a student in a cannon with the caption: “Cannon fodder.”

A picture showing 1972’s presidential candidates splashing around in a swimming pool promised to reveal what the public could expect this election. When folded, the image became a giant toilet with a caption reading “The same old stuff.”
An excerpt from a long well written article here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 04:07:52 PM by alyssa »
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #655 on: April 25, 2023, 11:14:46 AM »
Harry Belafonte, singer/actor/civil rights activist, died at 96 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This guy did more with his fame than most as far as the civil rights movement, and he was just as great as a singer & actor: I mean, he brought calypso to the mainstream for _multiple_ generations (my generation thanks to either The Muppet Show as a youngin and/or BEETLEJUICE a bit older in middle school)
Daylight came and he want to go home, I suppose...

Offline Jesse O

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
« Reply #656 on: April 25, 2023, 12:58:55 PM »
Harry Belafonte, singer/actor/civil rights activist, died at 96 You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This guy did more with his fame than most as far as the civil rights movement, and he was just as great as a singer & actor: I mean, he brought calypso to the mainstream for _multiple_ generations (my generation thanks to either The Muppet Show as a youngin and/or BEETLEJUICE a bit older in middle school)
Daylight came and he want to go home, I suppose...
When I was in my late teens and wanted to get into the music business, Harry Belafonte said he’d have dinner with me and let me pick his brain (my dad was one of his doctors). In retrospect, I wish I had known more about his bio back then (it’s embarrassing to think how much I thought I knew when I was that young), because it would have been an amazing opportunity. Still, sitting down with him over a meal was a memorable experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Online marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #657 on: April 25, 2023, 01:46:20 PM »
When I was in my late teens and wanted to get into the music business, Harry Belafonte said he’d have dinner with me and let me pick his brain (my dad was one of his doctors). In retrospect, I wish I had known more about his bio back then (it’s embarrassing to think how much I thought I knew when I was that young), because it would have been an amazing opportunity. Still, sitting down with him over a meal was a memorable experience.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wow...yes.  An incredible opportunity!
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #658 on: April 27, 2023, 08:56:26 AM »
Trash tabloid talk-show host Jerry Springer, known for hosting a TV show that featured on-stage brawls and chair-throwing, died in Chicago after a brief illness.  He was 79.

SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #659 on: May 01, 2023, 08:44:30 PM »
Folk singer Gordon Lightfoot passed away in Toronto.  He was 84.

D23 Expo 2017