Author Topic: The Walking Dead Season 7 ***Spoilers***  (Read 22476 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1787
Re: The Walking Dead Season 7 ***Spoilers***
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2016, 12:50:45 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"which one of you is it going to be?", "You will speak when spoken to!", "I need you to do this"

Agree. 

I put Negan under the heading of lazy/shallow characterization.  The example I always think of is the bad guy in Gone in 60 Seconds who has to: 
(1.) Shoot an underling for no reason and
(2.) Builds coffins in his leisure evil time to show how evil he is.

This may seem like a silly example, but that is why Hans Gruber is a great villain.  He's funny, smart, likeable, etc.  :)   I think that in-a-weird-way likeable villains are the best, like Vader or Tywin Lannister.

Hated the fact that Negan was on the SDCC badge which I am going to keep forever...  :)

All the buzz for a long time now is how Negan was finally coming and I have not been looking forward to it because I might drop the show because of him.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 01:08:33 PM by Chris »

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 360
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2016, 09:22:28 AM »
TWD is the kind of show i sit back, turn off my brain, and enjoy my mini-vacation from reality. So I don't have  many well articulated opinions but some random thoughts that popped in head:

-amazing the show is still quality in terms of production and tension building in season 7. I bet this little comic book show will go 10-12 seasons

-interesting how much more gruesome and vile things are in live action vs on the page (whether book or even comic book)

-the hate for negan is a benefit. Whether he's hated for what the character has done, or being too much, or poorly written, etc. Sure some ppl will stop watching but the majority will stick around for the satisfaction of seeing him get his reckoning

-this episode was alright,  no big revelations except the 2 deaths surprise. I was so blown away by the last season's opener, i dont know if they will ever top that

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 403
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2016, 11:10:14 AM »
TWD is the kind of show i sit back, turn off my brain, and enjoy my mini-vacation from reality.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. TWD is not Games of Thrones or The Wire or The Sopranos. It doesn't have the writing, performances, direction, cinematography, sound design, editing. It's not even BsG or Star Trek. And I think that is the problem: we are getting bored. There are no grand themes or revelations about the human condition or incredible storytelling or quality filmmaking to keep us invested. And this attempt to explain Negan as a complex figure, and his behavior within the context of the strongman personality is fallacious. Negan is a caricature. There is significant analysis concerning the authoritarian/fascist personality - Arendt, Popper, Adorno, Zizek, etc. It's clear from the comics that Kirkman has not bothered with any of it, and from the show that the writers and directors have not either. I'll still watch since I only watch three shows and this is the only one currently airing, but it's not as much fun as it used to be.

(The IGN message board is hilarious. The IGN reviewer gave the episode a 6/10. It wasn't an interesting or particularly scathing review, but the fanboys went nuts. One of them complained that the problem with those of us who didn't like the episode is that we prefer entertainment, and that TWD is art. I don't care for the high-culture/low-culture distinction. But if I did, TWD is as low-culture as it gets. That's precisely why it was so amazing lol.)
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 507
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2016, 11:39:33 PM »

I agree with this wholeheartedly. TWD is not Games of Thrones or The Wire or The Sopranos. It doesn't have the writing, performances, direction, cinematography, sound design, editing. )

Let's be honest, no TV show will ever get close to the brilliance that is The Wire and The Sopranos.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 753
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2016, 04:34:49 PM »
Remember when Rick quietly threatened Negan?  I predict Rick will keep his promise and eventually kill Negan at some point.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
NYCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2022
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2016, 05:40:16 PM »
Check out mlgagne's recap on the blog.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2016, 09:19:31 PM »
So I looked at the still of Glenn online...  Yeah, I think I'm done with Walking Dead.   I really don't want to see that.

By the way, just saw the leaked article for an alternate ending where Negan kills Maggie.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:02:16 PM by Chris »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2016, 10:04:38 PM »
I agree with this wholeheartedly. TWD is not Games of Thrones or The Wire or The Sopranos. It doesn't have the writing, performances, direction, cinematography, sound design, editing. It's not even BsG or Star Trek. And I think that is the problem: we are getting bored. There are no grand themes or revelations about the human condition or incredible storytelling or quality filmmaking to keep us invested. And this attempt to explain Negan as a complex figure, and his behavior within the context of the strongman personality is fallacious. Negan is a caricature. There is significant analysis concerning the authoritarian/fascist personality - Arendt, Popper, Adorno, Zizek, etc. It's clear from the comics that Kirkman has not bothered with any of it, and from the show that the writers and directors have not either. I'll still watch since I only watch three shows and this is the only one currently airing, but it's not as much fun as it used to be.

(The IGN message board is hilarious. The IGN reviewer gave the episode a 6/10. It wasn't an interesting or particularly scathing review, but the fanboys went nuts. One of them complained that the problem with those of us who didn't like the episode is that we prefer entertainment, and that TWD is art. I don't care for the high-culture/low-culture distinction. But if I did, TWD is as low-culture as it gets. That's precisely why it was so amazing lol.)

Agree on Negan.  He feels like the Governor 2.0 to me.

Offline Louie_rob_m

• Hall H
  • Liked: 360
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2016, 10:06:42 PM »
TWD is like a repetitive video game. Same challenge/mission with increasing level of difficulty

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline Transmute Jun

• Buying Group Coordinator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 8739
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2016, 05:52:20 AM »
So I looked at the still of Glenn online...  Yeah, I think I'm done with Walking Dead.   I really don't want to see that.

FWIW, the makeup job on Glenn was meant to emulate what happened in the comics.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2021
« Reply #70 on: October 28, 2016, 09:51:56 AM »
TWD is like a repetitive video game. Same challenge/mission with increasing level of difficulty

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

There is that feel, going from boss to tougher boss.

Let's be honest, no TV show will ever get close to the brilliance that is The Wire and The Sopranos.

At the risk of being both overly argumentative and optimistic I think we will see one in the next few years. Not TWD of course, and probably not anything on right now, although I think Westworld has the potential to be one of the best sci-fi shows ever.

There is a general feeling I get of the gloves coming off, take a show like Hannibal which I can't imagine being on a major network not that long ago. Or Ash vs Evil Dead where the gloves come off, are soaked in lighter fluid, lit and thrown into a pile of high-power fireworks.

There is also the continuing shift to subscription services and the resulting competition, so advertiser influence and weekly ratings will have less importance. Plus the increasing trend where creators can make an entire season before an episode airs. Netflix of course but also shows like Vice Principals. Again, these aren't going to make the all time lists but I have to think that the ability to get your whole story down and stay true to a vision will pay off someday. At least I hope so.

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 403
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2016, 12:29:39 PM »
Steven Yeun Already Has A New Post “Walking Dead” Job

What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2016, 03:29:14 PM »
LOL! My favorite is the bit with the hair...

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2021
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2016, 04:48:38 PM »
Too soon? I think it's too soon.

Loot Crate spoiler, beware.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2016, 05:55:51 PM »
Too soon? I think it's too soon.

Loot Crate spoiler, beware.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

LOL, I'm insensitive. I got that the day before the ep aired, and had my daughter wear that shirt to school the next day...  >:D