Author Topic: The Walking Dead Season 7 ***Spoilers***  (Read 26830 times)

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
Re: The Walking Dead Season 7 ***Spoilers***
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2016, 06:05:47 PM »
Favorite Characters:
1) Shane. An absolute psychopath. But entertaining as f**k.
2) Michonne. The Wonder Woman of TWD. She’s the best melee fighter. Smart and resourceful. Awesome in every way.
3) Carol
4) Maggie. I have a crush on her.
5) Daryl
6) Merle. I think his racism was funny. I know it’s not right.
7) Eugene. “Good afternoon.”
8] Abraham. “Motherd**k.”
9) Sasha.
10) Glenn. After Maggie egged him: “Why would you waste an egg like that?”

Least Favorite Characters:
1) Andrea.
2) Deanna
3) Carl. I actually liked him at the start of season three when he carried the gun with the massive silencer. But generally annoying.

Favorite Moments:
1) Andrea’s death.
2) Michonne-Governor fight when she stabs him in the eye.
3) Final scene in the season 4 finale that ended with Rick’s “They’re messing with the wrong people.”
4) The scene in S05E03 when they kill the Terminus survivors in the church.
5) Rick ripping out Joe’s jugular vein.
6) Shane beating-up Carol’s abusive turd husband.
7) Marle: “How come we never hooked up?” Andrea: “You called me a w***e and a rugmuncher.” Merle: “Got a way with words, don’t I?”
8] Dale: “You fight with words, the power of ideas. Using a gun? That’s his way.” Andrea: “You really want to debate about saving a guy who will lead his buddies right to our door?” Dale: “That’s what a civilized society does.”
9) In the barn in S05E10 when they hold off the walkers from breaking in during the thunder storm, and then the very next shot is Maggie waking-up in the morning and staring at her is Judith.

Least Favorite Moments:
1) Season 6 finale cliffhanger. Cynical ratings ploy. If they just admitted it, it would be okay. But they keep claiming that it is vital to the storytelling and viewing experience. Bulls**t.
2) Rick-Mr. Mustache first standoff in season 6 finale. It was a really bad who has the bigger d**k scene.
3) The choices made in S06E14-16. Just bad storytelling.
4) Rick beating up Shane. They had to validate Rick’s alpha-dog status. It made no sense. It defeated the whole purpose of Shane’s character.

Favorite Episodes:
1) S05E01. Escape from Terminus.
2) S04E16. Rick’s group kill the Claimers, arrive at Terminus and are imprisoned with Glenn’s group.
3) S02E17. They debate whether to execute the prisoner.
4) S03E08. The attack on Woodbury to rescue Maggie and Glenn.
5) S05E10. The Barn. “We are the walking dead.” Meet Aaron.

Favorite Weapons:
1) Michonne’s katana.
2) Morgan’s staff.
3) Daryl’s cross-bow.
4) Rosita had a beige automatic rifle in S06E14 (when Denise is killed) that is cool.

Memorable shots:
1) S05E09. Wide shot of the car racing along the highway. It stops. Everyone gets out. Tyreese is dead. Rick turns away and Michonne stabs him in the head.
2) S03E04. At the prison, after the alarms goes off. There is a great tracking shot from in front of Rick and Daryl sprinting.
3) S05E08. The wide shot of Rick walking out of the hospital, shakes his head.
4) S01E01 or S01E02. The overhead shot of the walkers descending on the tank that Rick is in.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2016, 08:09:43 PM »
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #47 on: Today at 04:45:16 PM »

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2016, 11:46:43 PM »
Season 7 Episode 1

What I Liked
Nothing. Mind you, I have no problem that they killed Abraham and Glenn. I understand the need for characters to die within the context of the show. I would have preferred other characters, but fair enough. And I hated the cliffhanger. But it's not a charity, it's a for profit business. Ratings matter. With that being said, I literally enjoyed nothing about the episode. Even the McConaughey-Lincoln commercial sucked. And those are usually funny.

What I Didn't Like
They should have started with the deaths. The impact had been diminished by the time we got to that scene. I didn't care anymore. Daryl would not have hit Negan; no one in the group would be that reckless and stupid in that situation. Rick wouldn't have threatened Negan; this is isn't Terminus. There was no need for the Carl-arm scene. (It only works in relation to God asking Abraham to sacrifice Isaac.) Everything in the RV was a waste. What did we learn? The ethereal shot at the end, of them sitting around the table, was unnecessary. It was sentimental drivel. (And a shot like that would be perfect to end the series on. It reminds me of Oz and the character of Tobias. They ended an episode with a dream sequence of what it would be like if he was granted parole. And watching it, you thought to yourself, if you ended the series on this, it would be one of the greatest endings ever. There was simply no need for it at that moment.) Overall, it was poorly conceived and executed - the writing, the direction, the cinematography, the editing. It was too drawn out and the pacing was off. The mood created from last season, when they were driving and being blocked at every turn, and then in the forest, the whistling and the headlights and being surrounded by dozens-upon-dozens of armed men, the terror and menace, all of it was completely lost. They should have kept it short and sweet and completed everything before sunrise. As a psychoanalytical examination of Negan it was puerile. His facetiousness may work in the comics, but it doesn't translate to the screen. By the end he was just comical. I was laughing at him. And the actors seemed to be break the fourth wall, their surreal resignment wasn't really a performance, rather it was the realization that they taken part in something so s**t. Episodes like this remind me why I avoid TV. I was expecting a cynical ratings ploy. But nothing this bad.

Best Line
None.

Best shot
I guess the shot of him smashing in their skulls was okay.

Random
Negan's skinny pants. The apocalypse began in 2010. I don't believe skinny pants were mainstream. And contrary to his appearance, Negan, while vain, doesn't seem to me a fashionista.

What I Am Looking Forward To
I have no f*****g clue. We are going to get a waste of an hour welcome to The Kingdom episode. Then another waste of an hour welcome to the Saviors Sanctuary. Negan's death, just to be spared Jeffrey Dean Morgan's theatrics, can't come quickly enough. Unfortunately, I think we'll be stuck with him well into season 8. I guess Shiva? Maybe Maggie messes-up Gregory? Jesus takes on a greater role? At this point I am putting my faith in The Expanse Season 2 and GoT Season 7.
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline FBS

• Fulfillment Room
    • http://www.marksearby.com/
  • Liked: 510
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2016, 05:06:46 AM »
I've felt like the show has been coasting for over a season. This opening episode reinvigorated my interest.
Morgan appears to be the right choice for Neegan. A colossal a hole that you can't help but admire at his attitude. 
Was upset to see Abraham killed off. Don't care about Glen. Really wish it had been Darryl.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2016, 08:43:41 AM »
I agree completely with everything [member=3906]dcuodust[/member] said. I thought last season was bad, but I came back hoping against hope they'd do something to get back to being a good show. They didn't. The deaths weren't impactful at all, because by the time they showed us who actually died, they'd pulled so many obvious delays and misdirections that I was just annoyed. And then we promptly spent most of the episode dealing with Rick's pain, as usual, instead of maybe, you know, Maggie? If I never see another closeup of Andrew Lincoln's eyes it will be too soon.

Beyond my annoyance with the terrible writing, though, I've also realized that TWD just doesn't want to tell any stories I want to see anymore. When I started watching, it was creepy and tense (can't remember the last time this show sincerely creeped me out), and fascinating to see how different people dealt with the world as they knew it ending - whether they banded together or fell apart, and how that played out. There were some truly horrible people, and also some moments that argued for the triumph of the human spirit. There's none of that, anymore. There's just a nihilistic hellscape that characters I loved are going to walk through until they die (probably horribly and messily. The gore in this episode was so over the top it became ridiculous. I almost laughed). No thanks. This was the last episode of TWD for me. I wish I'd stopped sooner so I could remember it with fondness.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2016, 08:55:52 AM »
I'm feeling like semigeekgirl. At this point they are treating us all like idiots around to be messed with and emotionally toyed with, but with no purpose and story, other than to try and mess with us. Maybe that works with some people and they enjoy it, but I don't. There's not even a story here anymore. This show peaked with Terminus. Then immediately fell into the s**tter. All last season was truly awful and it looks like it's getting worse. Scott Gimple is a hack who has ruined the show.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2016, 08:59:13 AM »
The season 7 premiere was meh. I didn't find those killings to be important to the story, it didn't feel needed. (It felt it was only done to catch up to the comic book, not for story purposes.) That said, those moments were "WTF" so I will give it that, but it was predictable and overkill. Alright, we get it, Negan is bad but there are many ways to present this better. Btw, it took roughly 20mins to get the those "WTF" moments...what? We all had enough on how season 6 ended, yet again we had to wait a little bit longer? Enough with the teases!

Also don't like Rick being weak again after he found his way a few seasons ago. Ugh. (I'm sorry but the group knows how brutal this world can be, yet acts as if they didn't after Negan killed their two friends?) So right now, comic book>the show.
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2016, 09:31:20 AM »
I'll be the odd person out and say that it was a decent episode. I certainly think they could have done this better, but I still enjoy the show and felt it had some good moments. I'm eager to keep watching.

I don't think they should have had this summer-long cliffhanger. Yes, that used to be a big thing, but now there are spoilers all over the internet, not to mention fans who stake out the filming sites and take pictures and... well, let's just say that the spoilers I heard before the show were exactly right. I heard about which two characters would be killed, I heard about Rick and Carl's hand (and the outcome) and Darryl being taken prisoner. Now to be fair, I wanted those spoilers and 'sought them out', but it meant that the episode lacked impact. If they had done this at the end of the last season (even if they had only killed one character at the end of last season) then it would have felt more like closure and then perhaps this first episode would have started off with more of an impact, as people wouldn't have been 'digging' in the same way all summer.

I didn't *enjoy* watching Negan beat Rick down, but I can see why it was necessary. And in a way, it revealed a lot of Negan's character. In his own twisted way, he respects Rick, taking him off to humiliate him instead of doing it in front of everyone, trying to teach him what's what. but when Rick defies him in front of his men, Negan can't have that. He had to keep pushing, because to maintain his leadership position, he needed to break Rick and have everyone know it. The Rick we know from the past 6 seasons is tough and can't be broken, so IMHO it was legitimate that they spent the entire episode tearing him down. What I expect to see the rest of the season is Rick building himself back up. Yes, everyone is emotionally devastated by what happened, and I think we'll see more aftermath of that throughout the rest of the season. I *know* that Negan will eventually get what's coming to him (and yes, I've read the comics, but I would *know* that even so - it's an obvious place for the plot to go) but I'm eager to see how that develops, given the low the group is at now. If the group is always on top of things, that's boring. If they suffer and then overcome obstacles, that's interesting and ultimately much more fulfilling.

The Termites were not effective villains, because in the end, they weren't really scary. They didn't bring the group down. Negan has completely decimated them emotionally. This is what makes him the iconic villain of the comic series, rather than The Governor. We need to see what Negan's willing to do, and how he operates, in order to understand him and appreciate the threat (as viewers).

So many people have criticized TWD as being a show where main characters are now safe. Last night's episode proved that wasn't the case. They didn't kill off someone unnecessary, like Rosita, they killed off a strong 'second string' character, and one of the iconic characters who has been around since episode 1. I'm now willing to believe that they might kill off Darryl or Carl or Michonne... or yes, possibly even Rick, if it would bring the story to an interesting place.

So while I think they could have done this better, I am still interested in the show and excited to keep watching. 

As an aside, What is with Chris Hardwick and rain? Okay, mention it once, but you don't have to keep going on and on about it. LA people are apparently total wimps when it comes to rain. *rolls eyes*

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2016, 09:49:07 AM »
The writers, directors, and actors got the right reaction from me. It certainly left a mark with me.

I was actually happy they delayed showing who got the receiving end of Lucille "The Vampire Bat". If they started off sequentially it think it would have been anti-climatic after waiting all these months. Yes - they played with our emotions but it was not boilerplate.

It was messed up emotionally with Rick facing the fact that he was beaten. Sometimes heroes need a reality check and this was a brutal one. Neegan was played beautifully- a brute and needed to ensure compliance. He was an a hole but needed to "break" his new group big boss man style.

I would not expect everyone to agree on execution but can say we are all in a sort of way invested in the show, characters, and the actors. I classify this series as a drama first rather than a zombie show. Last night proved it for me. I almost never get emotional with a series but I felt my heart racing as the hour unfolded.

I anticipate Maggie will get her due I think in the coming weeks as they focus on her loss. I think she lost the most overall looking back over the course of the series with her whole family being killed in one way or another. Lauren Cohan gets my respect.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • By what right does the wolf judge the lion?
    • FoCC Blog Articles - mlgagne
  • Liked: 882
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2016, 09:54:16 AM »
I agree with you both, [member=314]Transmute Jun[/member] and [member=1060]DRWHO42[/member]!

While I do think that there were some negative effects of the cliffhanger (i.e. spoilers leaking out over the summer, the knowledge that Michael Cudlitz has consistently been at conventions since May, etc.), I can also see how the producers were coming at it from a storytelling viewpoint. I actually thought it was an interesting move to see things play out through Rick's eyes and get into his psychology in the immediate aftermath - and then, how Negan breaks him down. I think that in this way, we learned a lot about Negan as a person and received more of a firsthand experience of the threat of the Saviors as a whole.

I also feel that both deaths, while brutal and horrifying, and the scene with Carl's arm, are the catalysts to set up the show going forward. How will the group cope with the loss of not one, but two important people in their lives? I'm definitely sad and upset by the whole episode, but I'm very intrigued to see what will happen going forward and will definitely be tuning in next week.

Also, I have to give a shout out to the cast on their amazing performances - especially Andrew Lincoln, Lauren Cohan, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Just WOW.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

^Even with the heaviness of that episode, this comment made me LOL. Ahh, Abraham's colorful catchphrases will be missed!
SDCC: 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019
WonderCon: 2017 | 2018 | 2019
NYCC: 2012 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016
Walker Stalker Con: 2015 (San Diego) | 2017 (Atlanta)

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2016, 10:29:07 AM »
^Even with the heaviness of that episode, this comment made me LOL. Ahh, Abraham's colorful catchphrases will be missed!

Most definitely! He was colorful in more ways than one.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 10:44:24 AM by Transmute Jun »

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2016, 10:36:52 AM »
I'll be the odd person out and say that it was a decent episode. I certainly think they could have done this better, but I still enjoy the show and felt it had some good moments. I'm eager to keep watching.

I don't think they should have had this summer-long cliffhanger. Yes, that used to be a big thing, but now there are spoilers all over the internet, not to mention fans who stake out the filming sites and take pictures and... well, let's just say that the spoilers I heard before the show were exactly right. I heard about which two characters would be killed, I heard about Rick and Carl's hand (and the outcome) and Darryl being taken prisoner. Now to be fair, I wanted those spoilers and 'sought them out', but it meant that the episode lacked impact. If they had done this at the end of the last season (even if they had only killed one character at the end of last season) then it would have felt more like closure and then perhaps this first episode would have started off with more of an impact, as people wouldn't have been 'digging' in the same way all summer.

I didn't *enjoy* watching Negan beat Rick down, but I can see why it was necessary. And in a way, it revealed a lot of Negan's character. In his own twisted way, he respects Rick, taking him off to humiliate him instead of doing it in front of everyone, trying to teach him what's what. but when Rick defies him in front of his men, Negan can't have that. He had to keep pushing, because to maintain his leadership position, he needed to break Rick and have everyone know it. The Rick we know from the past 6 seasons is tough and can't be broken, so IMHO it was legitimate that they spent the entire episode tearing him down. What I expect to see the rest of the season is Rick building himself back up. Yes, everyone is emotionally devastated by what happened, and I think we'll see more aftermath of that throughout the rest of the season. I *know* that Negan will eventually get what's coming to him (and yes, I've read the comics, but I would *know* that even so - it's an obvious place for the plot to go) but I'm eager to see how that develops, given the low the group is at now. If the group is always on top of things, that's boring. If they suffer and then overcome obstacles, that's interesting and ultimately much more fulfilling.

The Termites were not effective villains, because in the end, they weren't really scary. They didn't bring the group down. Negan has completely decimated them emotionally. This is what makes him the iconic villain of the comic series, rather than The Governor. We need to see what Negan's willing to do, and how he operates, in order to understand him and appreciate the threat (as viewers).

So many people have criticized TWD as being a show where main characters are now safe. Last night's episode proved that wasn't the case. They didn't kill off someone unnecessary, like Rosita, they killed off a strong 'second string' character, and one of the iconic characters who has been around since episode 1. I'm now willing to believe that they might kill off Darryl or Carl or Michonne... or yes, possibly even Rick, if it would bring the story to an interesting place.

So while I think they could have done this better, I am still interested in the show and excited to keep watching. 

As an aside, What is with Chris Hardwick and rain? Okay, mention it once, but you don't have to keep going on and on about it. LA people are apparently total wimps when it comes to rain. *rolls eyes*
You have some great points.

Also - I have to admit I avoided all spoilers and news articles related to the series all summer so I was not disappointed.

To your point about "talking dead" I felt bad for the people sitting out there in the rain for the whole duration. They get the award for dedication. AMC should have planned better for the bad weather (oh wait we are ultra planners here... lol).
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2016, 11:40:24 AM »
but with no purpose and story, other than

...because it was issue 100.

Sorry to take a portion of your post out of context, but it echoed my exact feelings about the books.  I hope you don't mind.  :)

I hated the fact that they killed off Glenn in the books just because it was issue 100 and felt that it did nothing to further the story--it was just issue 100 and not 42 or 359. 

I read the spoilers last night about how brutal it was and based on this and Negan and in general, I might not watch the show anymore.

The last 10 minutes of last season were very much like the books to me in page after page after page of Negan speechifying about how he was in charge which prompted me to stop reading the books.  I am assuming it will be hour after hour after hour of this in the show.

Not insulting folks who do like Negan's character, but I just don't get it.  This is the same part of me that can't watch whenever Umbridge is on screen in Harry Potter.  :)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 11:45:53 AM by Chris »

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2016, 11:52:00 AM »
...because it was issue 100.

Sorry to take a portion of your post out of context, but it echoed my exact feelings about the books.  I hope you don't mind.  :)

I hated the fact that they killed off Glenn in the books just because it was issue 100 and felt that it did nothing to further the story--it was just issue 100 and not 42 or 359. 

I read the spoilers last night and how brutal it was and based on this and Negan and in general, I might not watch the show anymore.

The last 10 minutes of last season were very much like the books to me in page after page after page of Negan speechifying about how he was in charge which prompted me to stop reading the books.  I am assuming it will be hour after hour after hour of this in the show.

Not insulting folks who do like Negan's character, but I just don't get it.  This is the same part of me that can't watch whenever Umbridge is on screen in Harry Potter.  :)

Not at all, I don't mind. I feel the same way. Negan is the most boring, uninteresting character in pretty much anything fictional I've come to encounter. I can't stand him in the sense that I know exactly who he is and there is nothing complex here. I found the Gov super interesting and complex and kept you wondering who he was.....and coming up, The Whisperers are going to be fascinating. Negan? No. That's a frat boy turned loose in the apocalypse to haze everyone until he breaks them and makes them subservient. *yawn* And at the expense of Glenn, the heart and hope of the show. We didn't need to lose Glenn to expand on the concept of Negan being every controlling narcissistic a**h*** you have ever known that is free of laws and social expectations.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline brand4d2

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 291
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2016, 12:33:37 PM »
Count me in the Anti Negan club as well as the "will watch on just a casual basis from now on" club.   

For those that watch FTWD, Negan is like the frat bros Derek and Brandon but dialed up to 11 on two or three amps.   Having him deliver most of the dialogue in the premiere may work for some but for me just reinforced what a hollow caricature he really is.   How many times did we have to hear "which one of you is it going to be?", "You will speak when spoken to!", "I need you to do this".   The guy is like the worst type of competitor in sports that when enjoying a large margin of victory will continue to run up the score.   

Unfortunately, the show does seem to be heading on that nihilistic landscape as semigeekgirl so well put it and that's a shame.