Author Topic: SDCC 2019 Shuttle Info  (Read 13229 times)

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
Re: SDCC 2019 Shuttle Info
« Reply #60 on: April 28, 2019, 12:58:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Just out of curiosity what did she cosplay as? Cersei Lannister? Shame Shame Shame...
I can't quite recall, it was anime I believe.  ;D

Offline Jangos1

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 54
« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2019, 02:36:47 AM »
Yes, the lack of overnight shuttles will absolutely affect the people who line up super early or overnight. It's a real shame for that reason, because those people are actually using the shuttles as part of their Con experience (as opposed to people just needing a ride home from the bars - which I've totally done too, no judgment. It's just not strictly Con-related).

I concur regarding this new development.  I imagine that this is going to be a great inconvenience to the majority of people who rely on those shuttles.  I, like, many, prefer to be within walking distance of the Con but was comforted knowing that 24-hour shuttles were available as an alternative.   These shuttles also provided a safer haven for late night/early morning activities.  It can be downright spooky and sketchy hurrying through dark and deserted streets from hotel to event, and back again. 

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #62 on: Today at 03:17:42 AM »

Offline zuko3984

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 110
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2019, 07:27:00 PM »
Sorry for the late and multiple replies.

I wanted to bring up a post I saw somewhere a couple of days ago where a board poster mentioned they were starting the refund process and not having a downtown room and 24 hour shuttles were main reasons for not attending the convention. The poster relied on the late night shuttles to get to those very early morning lines for some exclusives and other things. A 5 AM shuttle was actually too late for their activities. It was something I had not thought about as I am not one for those early morning lines but many people are. It made me think that one somewhat small change can affect many people's experiences.

This is the situation Me and my friends are in. We didn't get a downtown hotel even though my friend had a time of 9:01 for the form which makes no sens to me as i have seen people say they got into the form later and got downtown. Anyway we got a hotel by the airport which we decided we don't want because of the shuttle situation. We just don't know how we would get to the convention center to get in line early in the morning. I doubt it would be easy to get an Uber/Lyft at 2 or 3 in the morning and I don't know how easy it would be to even get a cab at the hotel.
If we don't end up getting something downtown in the waitlist or when they open hotels up to everyone we are going to cancel and get a refund on our badges by the refund dat e of May 13th. It's just too expensive a trip and there is enough to stress about every year that adding the hassle and extra stress of worrying about getting to the con to get in line just pushes it over the edge for us as it being worth going anymore.
It just seems like every year they add more hoops to jump through and more stuff to plan and more stress that this is just the tipping point for us.
I still hope to get a downtown hotel tomorrow but i'm not very confident that will actually happen.

Offline accelerate

• Ballroom 20
  • God of Donuts
  • Liked: 757
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2019, 07:54:31 PM »
I still hope to get a downtown hotel tomorrow but i'm not very confident that will actually happen.

I would stick it out as long as possible in your search for a hotel. I doubt you’ll find something tomorrow since everyone will be hammering the site to get something. But hotels always pop up between now and SDCC, even downtown. You just have to be diligent, persistent, and yes, lucky.

But I do get it. 24hr shuttle is critical to a lot of con goers. Back before it became 24hr, it wasn’t as necessary since camping wasn’t anywhere near as prevalent. And the shuttle hours extended past last call at bars, which it won’t this year.

If they really wanted to cut back (presumably for cost reasons), I’d say scale back to once an hour. Or basically one bus per route. (If that was already the case, then my apologies). Or maybe one bus that goes multiple routes.

I imagine TalkBack this year will show a huge backlash against the new shuttle hours.

Offline zuko3984

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2019, 08:00:53 PM »
I would stick it out as long as possible in your search for a hotel. I doubt you’ll find something tomorrow since everyone will be hammering the site to get something. But hotels always pop up between now and SDCC, even downtown. You just have to be diligent, persistent, and yes, lucky.

But I do get it. 24hr shuttle is critical to a lot of con goers. Back before it became 24hr, it wasn’t as necessary since camping wasn’t anywhere near as prevalent. And the shuttle hours extended past last call at bars, which it won’t this year.

If they really wanted to cut back (presumably for cost reasons), I’d say scale back to once an hour. Or basically one bus per route. (If that was already the case, then my apologies). Or maybe one bus that goes multiple routes.

I imagine TalkBack this year will show a huge backlash against the new shuttle hours.

We are going to wait as long as possible before getting refunds on the badges. Don't want to wait till the last possible day for the refund just in case anything goes wrong, May 13th is the refund deadline so probably wait till may 10th to put in for the refund if we don't get anything downtown.

Offline BunkeyBrain

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2019, 09:47:08 PM »
We skipped Comic Con last year, so I wasn't able to witness the impact of the new lottery system (for many of the in-demand exclusives). Did it alleviate the overnight camping lines? I wonder if that's a reason for stopping the 24-hour shuttle service, or if it was purely cost-based. I was surprised to learn that they did that. It seems to limit options for those staying outside of downtown (and increases--even further--the demand for downtown rooms).

Offline zuko3984

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2019, 11:18:17 PM »
We skipped Comic Con last year, so I wasn't able to witness the impact of the new lottery system (for many of the in-demand exclusives). Did it alleviate the overnight camping lines? I wonder if that's a reason for stopping the 24-hour shuttle service, or if it was purely cost-based. I was surprised to learn that they did that. It seems to limit options for those staying outside of downtown (and increases--even further--the demand for downtown rooms).

I didn't go last year so i could be wrong but I'd think the online lottery system would really do nothing to decrease the camping and in some cases increase the lines for a lot of things. The only people who now don't have to camp out are the ones who know that they won something in the lottery. All the people who were waiting in the lines for the autographs from WB, Fox and all the exclusives that are now in the lottery and that didn't win now will go get in line for some other stuff.  So now i would think the lines for everything not in the lottery would be even worse and would make people get in line even earlier for those things.
I know every year I went I had to make a choice on Saturday morning between getting in the WB/Fox autograph line or getting in the Ballroom 20 line. I usually picked the Autograph line. Now if i know ahead of time I either didn't win any autographs or i did win and the autograph session is in the afternoon i can go get in the Ballroom 20 line or go get on the line for the walking dead booth or anything else i and a lot of people would not have been able to get in line for before the online lottery system because we were on the autograph line.
If anything i think they need the 24 hour shuttle more now then ever and it's a huge deal breaker for me to stay anywhere else but within walking distance from the con.

Offline cciveg

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 38
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2019, 11:50:29 AM »
This is the situation Me and my friends are in. We didn't get a downtown hotel even though my friend had a time of 9:01 for the form which makes no sens to me as i have seen people say they got into the form later and got downtown. Anyway we got a hotel by the airport which we decided we don't want because of the shuttle situation. We just don't know how we would get to the convention center to get in line early in the morning. I doubt it would be easy to get an Uber/Lyft at 2 or 3 in the morning and I don't know how easy it would be to even get a cab at the hotel.
If we don't end up getting something downtown in the waitlist or when they open hotels up to everyone we are going to cancel and get a refund on our badges by the refund dat e of May 13th. It's just too expensive a trip and there is enough to stress about every year that adding the hassle and extra stress of worrying about getting to the con to get in line just pushes it over the edge for us as it being worth going anymore.
It just seems like every year they add more hoops to jump through and more stuff to plan and more stress that this is just the tipping point for us.

Good points. It is very expensive and more stress each year. There aren't enough hotels downtown and even with more being built doesn't help really for comic con.

Offline kihou

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2019, 11:59:51 AM »
I hope you were able to get something in the hotel sale yesterday!  If not, depending on your arrival/departure dates, I would keep trying sites like hotels.com or the OnPeak sales list since hotels pop up there every so often. 

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2019, 12:40:32 PM »

I still saw plenty of people camping overnight.  I think the only thing the lottery did was give someone like me a chance to get something who would have never considered camping out overnight.  Other people in the signing I won also said the same thing.  That's why I don't think that a lottery is the best way to go.  Since I think the people that want it so much that they will camp out overnight should be the ones that get it.

Offline zxcvb531

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 9
« Reply #70 on: May 02, 2019, 12:14:22 PM »
Cost probably became too high with too few riders on some routes

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #71 on: May 02, 2019, 12:18:53 PM »
Cost probably became too high with too few riders on some routes

This is very likely it.  And I keep going over options on how to decrease costs and can't come up with anything reasonable.  My first thought was to send smaller shuttles, but that really only saves on gas money, which isn't a HUGE cost difference.  The driver likely gets paid the same.  And they are already so infrequent at night that cutting them down won't help either....  man there's just no way to fix it lol.

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2019, 12:41:52 PM »
Forum housekeeping: OP updated with the latest shuttle information and a link to the schedule PDF.
Ang

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2019, 12:59:07 PM »
I wonder if CCI would reconsider and bring back 24 hour shuttles.  I have seen so many negative reactions.  Argh! :-X
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #74 on: May 02, 2019, 01:25:40 PM »
I highly doubt they would (or possibly even could) change it for this year. I suspect that they'll let it play out for this year and see how it goes. People always react pretty negatively to change so I think they'll ignore reactions until it's at least been tried.