Author Topic: Should Comic-Con Special Edition become an annual event?  (Read 4719 times)

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
Re: Should Comic-Con Special Edition become an annual event?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2021, 04:26:31 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
And another suggestion would be to move the location of Special Edition.

Wondercon used to be in San Francisco, and SF doesn’t really have any type of regular con, so could be a great way for CCI to hit San Diego, Anaheim/LA, and SF all in a year.  Maybe they can partner with Lucasfilm which is headquartered in the city, and push a tech angle like South by Southwest.  With Shang Chi, Venom 2, and Matrix 4 all being shot in SF, would have been cool to tease those at SE-SF.

Phoenix could be another intriguing option, as those cons are always well-attended and a great (warm) touristy destination for November
That won't happen because of logistics.

In theory, I can see how that might be attractive to some, but I personally don't like it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 02:40:46 PM »
I kind of like the idea of having a smaller con added to the July one..  It would give more folk a chance to attend an official CCI convention.  Even though I would have to travel, I might consider a November trip in addition to the July.  I like the idea of a smaller, more intimate event,  It could take on a personality of its own.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 06:16:07 PM by marcia29 »
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 12:24:33 PM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 05:55:56 PM »
I hope cci does do a con for locals on Halloween
as long as it's profitable 
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2021, 08:52:28 AM »
I hope cci does do a con for locals on Halloween
as long as it's profitable
I think what may be cooler is if CCI does a Halloween weekend thing at the museum: not necessarily a full-blown convention, more of a fun social event with some small, interesting panels (like the stuff they did a few years ago, when they had a panel about the history of comics in San Diego; a Funko panel; a cool Halloween costume panel also in connection with Funko; etc).

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2021, 09:30:16 AM »
Here's the question:  Should Comic-Con Special Edition become an annual event?

Obviously NOT on Thanksgiving weekend.  But late October, particularly near Halloween, would be cool.  I'm envisioning a smaller, scaled down version of Comic Con much like Wonder Con.  Only instead of Anaheim we have it here in San Diego.

It would give us something to look forward to in those long, lonely months between Comic-Con and Wonder Con.

And maybe give it a new name.  "Special Edition" doesn't really do it for me.

What say you?
If it makes sense to CCI, sure? Now, no November dates nor December. The month of October would be best (it’s before the holidays) and even better if anything is held on Halloween when possible. I still say it was a missed opportunity not having SDCCSE on Halloween weekend this year, regardless why it wasn’t.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2021, 09:46:14 AM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2021, 12:13:17 PM »
I think what may be cooler is if CCI does a Halloween weekend thing at the museum: not necessarily a full-blown convention, more of a fun social event with some small, interesting panels (like the stuff they did a few years ago, when they had a panel about the history of comics in San Diego; a Funko panel; a cool Halloween costume panel also in connection with Funko; etc).

There was that Halloween event held by Mike at CCM.  The thing is that events at CCM have never been well attended.  Even events that sell out are only a third to half full.  Many people just don't show up.  I think the most well attended events are SAM.  But even at those there's plenty of empty seats.  So a Halloween event at the museum would probably be a very small event.  I've never understood why.  There are a lot of comic-conners that live in San Diego.  Yet they don't go to the mini comic-cons that the museum holds.

In general, I think holding a fall con at Halloween is too soon after comic-con.  Everyone involved from the CCI people, to industry people to the attendees still have comic-con fresh in their minds.  I think it would be too soon for another.  Also, for many people, Halloween is a bigger holiday than Thanksgiving and Christmas.  It was definitely that way up in San Francisco before the city shutdown Halloween.  It took years for them to finally stamp it out.