Author Topic: Are you attending SDCC 2023?  (Read 9830 times)

Offline jacmaryang

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
Re: Are you attending SDCC 2023?
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2023, 10:25:57 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
For the bolded part: I would note it's still early in the standard SDCC news cycle to be concerned about the lack of offsite announcements. (My own speculation: I don't expect the strike(s) to impact the presence of offsites, though they may serve as great picketing locations). Approximate announcement dates from last year:

Ready Party One: May 12
Nintendo Switch Road Trip: June 1
Star Trek 10 Forward: June 16
D23 TRON Party: June 16
Funko Fundays: June 17 (Funatics sale), June 21 (public sale date)
D23 Member Mixer: June 24
House of the Dragon: June 28
Crunchyroll Concert Series: June 28
Severance: June 30
Fandom: June 30
Dragon Ball at MMM: July 5-ish
Dungeons & Dragons Tavern: July 6
The Walking Dead Fan Celebration: July 7
Prey World Premiere: July 8
FX: July 10
The Gray Man: July 12
Middle-earth Moot (TheOneRing): July 12
Abbott Elementary: July 13
Paper Girls: July 13
Doctor Strange & Bob's Burgers: July 14
Pac-Man Celebration at the Comic-Con Museum: July 18

Thanks for compiling all this together! Super helpful! Once the announcements start rolling in, they come fast (offsites, exclusives, panels, etc). :D

That being said, if anyone is considering refunds, friendly reminder that the refund deadline is this Friday - May 12.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2023, 11:28:38 AM »
Would an actor's strike mean that actors, directors and writers could still attend as long as they...what?  I have no idea how this works.
That would depend on what their unions/guilds determine as part of the strike rules.  WGA strike rules prohibited conduct includes
dictate negotiations and discussions regarding present or future writing projects.
and SDCC is considered a marketing/promotional event for studios & talent.  That _might_ be a grey area, but I suspect that the unions would frown upon members attending a largely covered event that promotes upcoming/ongoing projects for the studios.  I don't know this for 100% certainty, and there hasn't ever been a strike that was ongoing during SDCC before (at least not this millenium, where SDCC was been wildly embraced and covered but both mainstream and small/independent media) so I'm not sure how this would be perceived.  I know that some talent see SDCC as a pain in the butt slog while others see it as a mostly fun/party-time event.  It's DEFINITELY a schmooze fest for studios/producers & creative talent though, so I wouldn't be surprised if the guilds frowned upon involvement.

Because all the unions (not just the above-the-live acting/directing and also writing, but the various craft unions and teamsters as well) are united in an unprecedented manner right now, it seems plausible that the AMPTP (studios) MIGHT come to agreement sooner than later.  Many folks who cover this, though, are predicting the WGA strike will go on for quite awhile though (some of the language studio execs have used has been pretty incendiary), so who knows.  Studios don't like to cede either money or protections to anyone other than themselves so it may take a massive industry-wide strike to turn things around sooner than later.

UPDATE:
looking at the WGA FAQ for the strike, there is this (you can read all the details here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ):
Can I promote my project at a film festival or at a “For Your Consideration” event about the film or show I wrote on?
No. You should let the Company know you are prohibited from making these promotional appearances about your work until the strike concludes.
While conventions are not film festivals or 'For Your Consideration' events (ie if you wrote a film the studio is promoting for awards consideration), the intent seems clear that promoting works is prohibited under the strikes rules.  This is almost certainly the same for the DGA (director's guild) & SAG (actor's guild)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 11:35:44 AM by perc2100 »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 10:40:36 PM »

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
  • Liked: 233
« Reply #107 on: May 08, 2023, 11:39:00 AM »
Thanks for compiling all this together! Super helpful! Once the announcements start rolling in, they come fast (offsites, exclusives, panels, etc). :D

That being said, if anyone is considering refunds, friendly reminder that the refund deadline is this Friday - May 12.
Hopefully no one needs to skip this year and get a refund, but thanks for helpful reminder to the group!  I'm sure this date has really crept up on us all...time is flying!
Star Wars | LEGO | 1000toys | Batman | Voltron

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #108 on: May 08, 2023, 02:32:45 PM »
I'm starting to rethink attending SDCC this year. It's a huge financial ask for someone who is currently unemployed at the moment and frankly it doesn't look like much is going on. With the writers strike (which I wholeheartedly support), and the lack of offsite announcements I'm feeling very meh about this year. I might consider just going for the weekend if anything, but again I don't want to have to commit $300 for a pass either. Anyone else feeling the same way? I'm going to sit on it until the Professional Badge deadline.

I was very spoiled attending during the years of Wired Cafe, the presence of Syfy, MTV Party at the Park, Fandom Party, amazing offsites, and attending Saturday Hall H Panels.

I greatly miss the mini-cons like Conival.  Sometimes it was like going to Hall H but in a more intimate setting.  As in you could see and even meet the celebrities up close.  Some of the H Hall panelists would stop by before or come in after a Hall H appearance.

This year, I'm hoping that newcomer Apple will follow up last year's great Severance offsite with another.  The Silo would make a great offsite.

Offline JKingoftheNerds

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #109 on: May 08, 2023, 03:47:47 PM »
I greatly miss the mini-cons like Conival.  Sometimes it was like going to Hall H but in a more intimate setting.  As in you could see and even meet the celebrities up close.  Some of the H Hall panelists would stop by before or come in after a Hall H appearance.

Agreed. My first year at SDCC also happened to be the last year of NerdHQ. I'd spent the last few years before watching all of the NerdHQ panels on YouTube and wanting so badly to be there, and getting to experience the thing live and in living color (we ended up with second row seats for the Falling Skies panel) was just as amazing as I'd hoped. It's a pipe dream, in large part because it's...let us say *frowned upon* by CCI, but I'd love to see experiences like that make a return.

Offline jacmaryang

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #110 on: May 09, 2023, 10:07:57 AM »
Agreed. My first year at SDCC also happened to be the last year of NerdHQ. I'd spent the last few years before watching all of the NerdHQ panels on YouTube and wanting so badly to be there, and getting to experience the thing live and in living color (we ended up with second row seats for the Falling Skies panel) was just as amazing as I'd hoped. It's a pipe dream, in large part because it's...let us say *frowned upon* by CCI, but I'd love to see experiences like that make a return.
I agree! I loved NerdHQ and it would be awesome if it could make a comeback but know that it's a pipe dream too. I never got to experience the full NerdHQ experience since I started going to SDCC toward the end of NerdHQ's existence.

I'm looking forward to seeing what offsites this year and seeing how lines/reservations will be managed this year.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2023, 11:13:21 AM »
I agree! I loved NerdHQ and it would be awesome if it could make a comeback but know that it's a pipe dream too. I never got to experience the full NerdHQ experience since I started going to SDCC toward the end of NerdHQ's existence.

I'm looking forward to seeing what offsites this year and seeing how lines/reservations will be managed this year.
Nerd HQ was a blast, and there were a few years where my oldest kid & I spent almost equal time there than at the Convention Center at SDCC proper.  I was bummed when it went away, and it sounded like there was a bit of bad blood with the Nerd HQ people & SDCC, but it really upped the game for off-site installations.

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2023, 12:14:20 PM »
I am still holding out hope for 1.) Hasbro having a retail booth, 2.) a return of the LEGO minifigure giveaway, and most importantly, 3.) carpeting in the exhibit hall 8)

Offline L3g3nd33

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2023, 06:21:22 PM »
I am still holding out hope for 1.) Hasbro having a retail booth, 2.) a return of the LEGO minifigure giveaway, and most importantly, 3.) carpeting in the exhibit hall 8)

You're every where, LOL.  But I agree with you on 2 and 3.  Give me a minifig PLEASE.

Offline mattytreks

• Ballroom 20
    • mattytreks on twitter
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2023, 06:22:21 PM »
You're every where, LOL.  But I agree with you on 2 and 3.  Give me a minifig PLEASE.
mattytreks: everything, everywhere, all at once :)

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #115 on: May 14, 2023, 04:37:52 AM »

Hasbro did the QR code thing again at Celebration this year, I think that may be here to stay.  Which honestly makes getting “exclusive” figures much easier.

Offline Jim Watari

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Twitter @jwatari
  • Liked: 584
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2023, 05:47:02 PM »

This year, I'm hoping that newcomer Apple will follow up last year's great Severance offsite with another.  The Silo would make a great offsite.

The "Silo" series on Apple+ has been great so far. It got me to listen to the first audio book by Hugh Howey "Wool" . I'm waiting to listen to the two other book in the series until I see the entire first season.

I heard that "Wool" will be spread over two seasons. They are really fleshing out the characters so I don't mind them taking their time with the characters.
The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: It's okay, I'm a leaf on the wind!
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: What does that mean?

Offline highgiant

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #117 on: May 30, 2023, 02:27:43 AM »
Found out I'm having surgery next week! still early enough that I should be ok to travel thankfully! I'll just be a lot slower moving around at the convention.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2023, 04:27:55 AM by highgiant »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #118 on: May 30, 2023, 08:34:14 AM »
Found out I'm having surgery next week! still early enough that I should be ok to travel thankfully! I'll just be a lot slower moving around at the convention.

Glad that you will be okay to attend. Sounds like a relatively fast recovery. And it will give you something to look forward to when you are undergoing your procedure.

Offline MandoSaves

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2023, 01:42:27 PM »
Looking forward to SDCC this year. Hoping to get a hotel soon.