Author Topic: Hall H Wristbands  (Read 10404 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Hall H Wristbands
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »
From what I've heard there were fake wrist bands. They are distinguished by a slight difference in printing.

The question is, did the criminal who sold them portray the fakes as counterfeit or as 'I've got an extra one'

If it's the former they buyer has some culpability to the crime. Imnsho.
If it's the latter -- it's a bit more gray.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline ocwankenobi

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 196
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2017, 12:12:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
From what I've heard there were fake wrist bands. They are distinguished by a slight difference in printing.

The question is, did the criminal who sold them portray the fakes as counterfeit or as 'I've got an extra one'

>:(

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 06:54:52 AM »

Offline LB42

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 12:51:10 PM »

My problem with the person who unknowingly bought and used fake Hall H wristbands is that we all know we shouldn't BUY Hall H wristbands (fake or real)- end of story. I think there is culpability on the part of the buyer.  Sorry if that sounds harsh.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2017, 12:59:24 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the only one who assumed it was an equal number of wristbands for each group A,B, C, and D.  Seems likt that's not actually the case.  Saturday morning, we were group A and fortunate enough to be in Chute 2 when Chutes were first loaded in the morning.  When 3 was loading, I looked over and saw a group that clearly had B wristbands.  And two chutes alone do not hold 1500 people.

My group was in the middle of the 3rd chute over-night, then moved to the middle of the 2nd chute after the first condensing of the morning.  I was one of the last people to get a Hall H A wristband (my 15 year old son got the first B).  So once they condensed they easily fit all the A's into the first 1.5 chutes, assuming there were only a few who didn't come back by then (we had people in our group who showed up a little late in the morning after we condensed, or people who left around 6am to grab a quick shower & breakfast before returning around 7:30 or so).  CCI has gotten pretty great at teaching attendees to get pretty close like cattle; remember that there can easily be 2-4 people in one 'space' in one chute (remember, the chutes have rope separating two halves, and in each of those halves you can easily fit multiple people; I ate breakfast Sat. am with my son and two other people in the width-wise space of one 'spot' in line).

Offline kohyuta

• Ballroom 20
  • Be water, my friend.
    • World Gone Geek
  • Liked: 226
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2017, 01:03:21 PM »
My problem with the person who unknowingly bought and used fake Hall H wristbands is that we all know we shouldn't BUY Hall H wristbands (fake or real)- end of story. I think there is culpability on the part of the buyer.  Sorry if that sounds harsh.
I tend to agree here.  If the seller said "I have a few extra wristbands." that's one thing, but it sounds like he was selling them out of his backpack, so it wasn't just "a few extra."  That right there would be a red flag for me.  I can't imagine he said "I have fake wristbands for sale." Does anyone know how much he was charging? 
-----
Be Water, My Friend

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2017, 04:18:17 PM »
I tend to agree here.  If the seller said "I have a few extra wristbands." that's one thing, but it sounds like he was selling them out of his backpack, so it wasn't just "a few extra."  That right there would be a red flag for me.  I can't imagine he said "I have fake wristbands for sale." Does anyone know how much he was charging?

This is what I'm puzzled about. If someone is selling a whole bunch of wristbands during the con, I can't believe this person wasn't caught. It's probably not hard to sell a few but to sell a few hundred? I can't imagine that he wouldn't be told on by at least one person he approached. My guess is that, if the graphics were leaked before the con, the wristbands were pre-made before the con took place. Maybe the wristbands were sold on craigslist.

Offline LB42

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2017, 05:54:17 AM »
I did not see it this year - but last year I saw a guy selling a small handful of Hall H wristbands back near the GOT exhibit shortly after wristband distribution for the B group was complete.  We had our bands and passed by, but I want to say he was offering them for $100.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2017, 10:01:09 AM »
I did not see it this year - but last year I saw a guy selling a small handful of Hall H wristbands back near the GOT exhibit shortly after wristband distribution for the B group was complete.  We had our bands and passed by, but I want to say he was offering them for $100.

I would have taken a video of the guy doing it and ratted him out to a real CCI official. It's pretty easy to tell who are the temps and the real ones. They are pretty common on the floor. Yes, I'm that guy.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2017, 10:51:13 AM »
As far as set up, we tried for Friday Hall H GoT, and went to dinner at the Crab Shack first.  Visually, seeing the group at the Island and then heading to the Marina looked full.  After dinner, I was just planning to camp for an hour, to make a point that this would be dine by midnight.

Planted ourselves by the Marina J bathrooms, which has a quick shortcut back to hotels at 930pm, and I left and came back with Kindle and just started Rogue One.  My buddy said get up we're moving and I expected only line ebb and flow, back to the Island.  Then he sees the red lights.  So we wound up waiting 45 minutes in total for D, as they had reached the end of the line.  Impressed to see wristbands over in under 2 hours, for Friday.

We left and came back at 630 am just to make sure, though!

I decided to try for Hall-H Friday for Big Bang Theory.  It was my first time.   Even though I've read how the process works, it still wasn't clear to me.  Long story short, I got to the end of the line by about 9:30 PM Thurs night.  Got my wrist band at about 10:30 PM.  I went back to my hotel, and initially planned to grab a coffee from Starbucks (7:00 am) at the Hilton Bay front before getting on line by 7:30 AM.  Then I saw the line, and decided to hoof it over to the end pronto.  At that time, the end of the line was near the symphony stadium.  It took a little over 2.5 hours, but I did end up in Hall-H.  I missed maybe the 1st 10 minutes of the panel, but saw the rest, and was happy.

I'm assuming most of the complaints revolve around getting into Hall-H for the Saturday panel.  There were people lined up for wrist bands for Saturday on Thursday night.  From what I heard (don't know if it was true), CCI decided to give those wrist bands out earlier than the times posted on their site.

My advice is, if you're interested in the 1st panel for any day, and don't plan to 'camp out' get on line early.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2017, 09:23:28 PM »
I would have taken a video of the guy doing it and ratted him out to a real CCI official. It's pretty easy to tell who are the temps and the real ones. They are pretty common on the floor. Yes, I'm that guy.

It doesn't seem like a grey area if some guy pulls out hundreds of wristbands for sale and you knowingly buy them? That's not a really fishy thing. Idk. It stinks and robbed someone waiting longer than you? I've heard different accounts on FB but supposedly they had video of the guy. Some woman posted that she called security on the guy, and police arrested him but we'd have heard that on the news unless CCI wanted to keep it quiet?

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2017, 01:54:08 PM »
This is going to be the elephant in the room for 2018.  How to fight off counterfeit wristbands.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2017, 01:28:59 PM »
This is going to be the elephant in the room for 2018.  How to fight off counterfeit wristbands.

Tattoos! 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2017, 01:48:28 PM »
Tattoos!

RFID chips implanted underneath the skin.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2017, 02:15:02 PM »
RFID chips implanted underneath the skin.

That makes us walk in the building...not run!
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline BenEatsRice

• Gaming Lounge
  • Waiting In Line
  • Liked: 150
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2017, 02:17:21 PM »
I'm already out here waiting in the next day line.
What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?