Author Topic: SDCC 2022 Pro Registration  (Read 24651 times)

Offline 28savagedays

• Room 6BCF
    • Co-Founder/ Senior Editor
  • Liked: 45
Re: SDCC 2022 Pro Registration
« Reply #240 on: July 15, 2022, 09:54:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
No, it's rite of passage to figure out where it is.

Honestly, I didn't find it until my 3rd year as a pro. I heard about it, but no security person I asked seemed to know where it was or even what it was. I'd ask other pros and they either didn't know or were evasive. No idea why. Anyway, go through the Sails Pavilion as if you're heading toward 6BCF or one of those conference rooms. Once you exit the Sails Pavilion, take a left and go one flight down the escalator. Once you reach the landing, you should see signs. The hallway they line us up in is right around the corner.
Thank you for the direction!!

I used it in 2019 and prior…my Con memory is foggy after the years hiatus.

Offline 28savagedays

• Room 6BCF
    • Co-Founder/ Senior Editor
  • Liked: 45
« Reply #241 on: July 15, 2022, 10:05:45 PM »
How strict are they on the pro pick up?  I am a guest but my pro can't get in until Friday at the earliest.  I think it is BS he has to pick up both badges since they're usually mailed, but whatever.  If I have a signed document with his photo id explaining the situation do you think they would let me pick up?  That's like 2 nights of hotel wasted :(

It doesn’t hurt to try and explain your situation to badge pickup. This is my first time having to pick up a guest badge due to me registering my guest during the Supplemental Pro Badge Registration. My pro badge was shipped tho but it was registered back in 2020.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #242 on: Today at 08:38:43 AM »

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #242 on: July 16, 2022, 05:08:03 AM »
How strict are they on the pro pick up?  I am a guest but my pro can't get in until Friday at the earliest.  I think it is BS he has to pick up both badges since they're usually mailed, but whatever.  If I have a signed document with his photo id explaining the situation do you think they would let me pick up?  That's like 2 nights of hotel wasted :(

Have the pro email sdcc pro

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #243 on: July 16, 2022, 12:30:49 PM »
No, it's rite of passage to figure out where it is.

Honestly, I didn't find it until my 3rd year as a pro. I heard about it, but no security person I asked seemed to know where it was or even what it was. I'd ask other pros and they either didn't know or were evasive. No idea why. Anyway, go through the Sails Pavilion as if you're heading toward 6BCF or one of those conference rooms. Once you exit the Sails Pavilion, take a left and go one flight down the escalator. Once you reach the landing, you should see signs. The hallway they line us up in is right around the corner.
;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D

(the rumors of special Pro entrance are greatly exaggerated, at least according to my CCI sources)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #244 on: July 16, 2022, 01:27:48 PM »

(the rumors of special Pro entrance are greatly exaggerated, at least according to my CCI sources)

I once wondered aloud how the floor could be packed by the time I got through the doors when I'm one of the first people in line to get in.  I was told about another entrance that let's people in early.

Offline angi

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2022, 01:54:20 PM »
Have the pro email sdcc pro

I did and they answered quickly.  They're being strict about it which is dumb, my pro is my spouse and they're usually mailed. It's a paid for badge too.  Oh well. I have friends who helped me out with Thursday. 

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #246 on: July 16, 2022, 02:38:04 PM »
I once wondered aloud how the floor could be packed by the time I got through the doors when I'm one of the first people in line to get in.  I was told about another entrance that let's people in early.

In the years I've been using that line, only once were we let in early, and my understanding is that was a mistake. There was also the time where the line got held and entered 10-15 minutes after everyone else. At least in 2019 (and I think 2018), the line entered at the same time as other lines. We had the same line coordinator those years and he seemed really to be on top of things. He was in constant communication with the other lines coordinators and gave us frequent updates.

Now, if you enter down by Hall G and head for, say, Hall E, then you might already see a large crowd that entered from the other entrance and got there before you. Beyond that, there are quite a few people who get in early using vendor passes and then line up for early for exclusives. Some retailers will not sell to them, but many really don't care.

There was one year (maybe about 10-12 years ago), where my son and I decided to just wander over to the convention hall about 10 minutes before opening and not bother with the long lines. For some reason, no one was watching the entrance and we just strolled in through a door by Hall A or Hall B. We wandered around for a good 10-15 minutes wondering why it looked so empty only to later realize that somehow we got in before the masses. No one bothered to question us. Ah, for the good old days.

Offline angi

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #247 on: July 16, 2022, 06:18:23 PM »
That happened to me one year. I got totally f-en lost and ended up in this downstairs area on the BACK of the exhibit hall.  I think it is where exhibitors go in and out.  There were plenty of people there.  I think I was enough lost and enough around other people that no one noticed.  I don't do exclusives so it was just me lost wandering around aimlessly, lol.

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #248 on: July 16, 2022, 07:14:06 PM »
I did and they answered quickly.  They're being strict about it which is dumb, my pro is my spouse and they're usually mailed. It's a paid for badge too.  Oh well. I have friends who helped me out with Thursday.

and that is why I was upset on the lateness of the registration.

Offline angi

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #249 on: July 17, 2022, 11:55:12 AM »
and that is why I was upset on the lateness of the registration.

Exactly, the policy is nonsensical. My badge is a paid for badge.  I could understand if it was a free badge that they want to ensure the pro is there too but for a paid badge???  We get the badges mailed normally, so there is no directive that the badge won't work if the pro is present.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #250 on: July 18, 2022, 12:11:33 PM »
I think sometimes exhibitors let their friends in early.  For ex: I had a student who's uncle had a booth; the student had a regular attendee badge, and on days he wasn't helping his uncle his uncle had someone run the 'exhibitor' badge to the student outside, who then put on their uncle's badge and walked in early.  Sometimes different entrances let their lines in earlier: and sometimes later.  The whole thing often feels like a touch of chaotic 'Wild Wild West' at times, and while I'm often on the "losing" end of that, there's an element of excitement about it all for me

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #251 on: July 18, 2022, 12:13:55 PM »

By this, I just wanted to clarify that my source who works for CCI explicitly said there is no special Pro entrance into the exhibit hall: not for Preview Night, not for any other morning.  Just like press, for the most part (unless they have a studio or industry connection), Pros will often have to fend for ourselves like any other attendee does  :P

But, it doesn't hurt to hope and pray that a storied, mythical Pro-Only entrance that gets into the Exhibit Hall a few mins early will exist this, or any successive, year  :P :P :D :D

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #252 on: July 18, 2022, 12:22:28 PM »
Exactly, the policy is nonsensical. My badge is a paid for badge.  I could understand if it was a free badge that they want to ensure the pro is there too but for a paid badge???  We get the badges mailed normally, so there is no directive that the badge won't work if the pro is present.
I would be curious to know the logistics of the "why" this is the current policy.  Like, what if you went Wednesday and said the Pro had to cancel last minute because they had COVID (I'm not suggesting you lie to the volunteers doling out the badges, I'm just posing a hypothetical "what if" type of situation); if pressed, you could easily say it's not your responsibility to be spokesperson for the Pro, and that you're confident they'll make their own arrangements as they see fit.  I can't fathom CCI would turn you away in that moment.

I get that for the vast majority of the attendees this is not the situation, and that their policy is a "one-size-fits-all" that doesn't quite fit every situation.  I suspect on-the-spot CCI would be accommodating to the Pro's guest.  I do recall WonderCon 2019 had a similar policy, where the Pro who got me a Guest badge had to pick it up and then hand it to me outside of the event.  The badge had my name and was all 100% legit, but the Pro had to get it.  I wonder if that's a thing where in the past this policy makes the most sense, for Pros to get badges for spouse, kids, family, etc. and it's EZPZ in that situation and just became "the way."  I'd love to hear the "why" of the policy

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #253 on: July 18, 2022, 01:32:52 PM »
By this, I just wanted to clarify that my source who works for CCI explicitly said there is no special Pro entrance into the exhibit hall: not for Preview Night, not for any other morning.  Just like press, for the most part (unless they have a studio or industry connection), Pros will often have to fend for ourselves like any other attendee does  :P

But, it doesn't hurt to hope and pray that a storied, mythical Pro-Only entrance that gets into the Exhibit Hall a few mins early will exist this, or any successive, year  :P :P :D :D

There is a pro only entrance. Thank you, that explains the crazy CCI bias earlier in this thread. Unless you are doing a misdirect on purpose, you and your CCI source have no clue what you are talking about.  There is also a room that serves lemonade to pros and a place sit and relax.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 01:43:05 PM by Roshawn »

Offline Roshawn

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #254 on: July 18, 2022, 01:40:21 PM »
I would be curious to know the logistics of the "why" this is the current policy.  Like, what if you went Wednesday and said the Pro had to cancel last minute because they had COVID (I'm not suggesting you lie to the volunteers doling out the badges, I'm just posing a hypothetical "what if" type of situation); if pressed, you could easily say it's not your responsibility to be spokesperson for the Pro, and that you're confident they'll make their own arrangements as they see fit.  I can't fathom CCI would turn you away in that moment.

I get that for the vast majority of the attendees this is not the situation, and that their policy is a "one-size-fits-all" that doesn't quite fit every situation.  I suspect on-the-spot CCI would be accommodating to the Pro's guest.  I do recall WonderCon 2019 had a similar policy, where the Pro who got me a Guest badge had to pick it up and then hand it to me outside of the event.  The badge had my name and was all 100% legit, but the Pro had to get it.  I wonder if that's a thing where in the past this policy makes the most sense, for Pros to get badges for spouse, kids, family, etc. and it's EZPZ in that situation and just became "the way."  I'd love to hear the "why" of the policy
It is less work.