Author Topic: Got Covid!  (Read 10754 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: Got Covid!
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2022, 04:12:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Right now, you have to call the CVS pharmacy to find out.  Some stores are already administering the updated booster, others stores will not even get it until the end of the month.  The CVS website doesn't note which stores have the updated booster.  You can make an appointment at Walgreens instead.  Their website seems to be offering only the updated booster starting next Wednesday.  Because of that only a few pharmacies take appointments.  As of now, only one Walgreens in San Diego County has the updated booster and thus is bookable.

Thanks for that update; I got my last booster mid-June so I'll probably wait a bit for this 5th COVID shot since last I read COVID booster effectiveness was 6ish months.  I'll probably wait until later this month, once I get close to my marching band competitive season where I'll be around a lot more people than I typically am

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2022, 08:00:56 PM »
Yeah, I was never technically eligible for the 2nd booster so my last shot was 10 months ago. But I think I'll still try to wait until about mid-October so that the first six weeks of real high immunity will cover my birthday and the holidays.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #137 on: Today at 07:07:24 AM »

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #137 on: September 02, 2022, 09:12:00 PM »
I got my booster 10 months ago as well. But I also just had Covid in July so I'll probably wait until I hit 90 days before I get the new booster - which will put me right around the 1 year mark

Offline sefton42

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 457
« Reply #138 on: September 03, 2022, 01:34:05 PM »
Even though I got Covid at SDCC, I have D23 next weekend, NYCC in October, and RICC in November, so I got the new booster this afternoon.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #139 on: September 04, 2022, 02:53:30 PM »
Epidemiologists, for now at least, believe a Covid-19 Fall surge is unlikely, however, the threat of a new emerging variant or subvariant is always out there which could easily upend that.  A third winter surge is likely, though how soon it begins depends on when a new variant or subvariant surfaces.

WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline Snick3

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #140 on: September 05, 2022, 09:14:22 AM »
I had covid end of June and got my first negative test July 9th. Doc said I would be safe for about 3 weeks. So I guess I got lucky?

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #141 on: September 05, 2022, 01:42:42 PM »
I had covid end of June and got my first negative test July 9th. Doc said I would be safe for about 3 weeks. So I guess I got lucky?
Odd, when I got covid in April/May my doc said to wait for the fall booster, don't bother with the 2nd booster
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2022, 07:47:26 AM »
Odd, when I got covid in April/May my doc said to wait for the fall booster, don't bother with the 2nd booster

Most I read said you have about 90 days, but your doctor may be giving that advice for another reason also.  When I talked to my doctor about a booster in June they said I qualify but that it might be better to wait until fall for the new vaccine. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2022, 12:48:09 PM »
The CDC line was to wait for the updated booster in the fall.  That's one reason why the 2nd booster was not approved for people under 50.  Part of the concern was vaccine fatigue.  They were worried that if people got a booster during the summer, then they wouldn't get another one in the fall.  Fall was their target because of a omicron targeted booster as well as the winter surge.  Personally, I got my 2nd booster in the spring and I got this updated booster last Friday.  The vaccines no longer have the super immunity like they did against the original strain.  I already didn't have much protection, if any, left against symptomatic illness from my 2nd booster by the time I got the updated booster last Friday.

Most I read said you have about 90 days, but your doctor may be giving that advice for another reason also.  When I talked to my doctor about a booster in June they said I qualify but that it might be better to wait until fall for the new vaccine. 

The time between reinfection due to prior infection or first infection due to vaccine has been shrinking all pandemic long.  It used to be 6 months, then it was 3 months and now it's a month.  It's the variants.  They are much more infectious.  So infection with omicron doesn't offer as much protection against reinfection against omicron again. BA.1 was bad enough.  BA.2 was worst.  BA.5 is worst still.  Of course it also depends on other factors.  Mask wearing or no mask wearing.  Going to bars every night versus staying at home.

3 weeks is kind of in line with what recent developments have been.  It's not unheard of now that people get BA.5 and then get it again within a month.  A recent study on the 2nd dose of the Pfizer vaccine showed waning started 27 days after the 2nd dose.  Considering 14 of the 27 days is needed to get the full response, that's pretty short.  But that was the old vaccine against omicron.  The hope is that the updated BA.5 specific booster will change things for the better.  We'll see.

Offline angoradebs

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2022, 02:44:32 PM »
I was going off this article (not sure if it's paywalled): You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Basically, while re-infection is possible much sooner than 90 days, waiting longer after infection to get the booster will result in a stronger immune response to that booster.

Some relevant quotes:
But millions of people have also recently gotten Covid. When it comes to the timing of future vaccine doses, those infections act like earlier vaccinations, scientists said, mitigating the benefits of getting a new booster shot shortly thereafter. Receiving a booster soon after an infection could also potentially raise the small risk, most prevalent in younger men, of post-vaccine heart problems, members of the C.D.C. panel said.

Federal guidance indicates that people should wait at least until their Covid symptoms have resolved before getting a booster shot, and that they may want to wait a full three months after an infection.

Also:
Still, he and other scientists said that waiting four to six months between doses would strengthen people’s response to the updated boosters. That would help people steer clear of a situation in which their antibody levels were so high when they received an updated shot that their immune systems partly cleared out the vaccine before building strong defenses against new Omicron subvariants.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2022, 02:57:24 PM »
i asked my local CVS & they said no 5th booster for them yet

Yeah, the Doc knew I am one of the more cavalier types :)

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #146 on: September 08, 2022, 12:54:56 PM »
I just got the 5th booster at walgreens. no walk ups - appt only

I'm prepping a big pot of food in case i feel yucky tomorrow. I normally feel yucky. I'll post

I wanted to have it on board & fully operational when I fly x-country & do NYCC

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #147 on: September 09, 2022, 06:51:04 AM »
Hr 18 post booster #5
arm hurts,
I feel kinda crappy in general but that could just be from normal issues (allergies/sleeping poorly/etc)

hr 20, slight fever. It seems to be following my normal track
« Last Edit: September 09, 2022, 09:04:55 AM by alyssa »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #148 on: September 10, 2022, 05:58:27 AM »
the effects of booster #5 were significantly easier then the earlier boosters. I felt yucky with a slight fever vs horrible with a definite fever

I hope everyone has the same light effects!!

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2022, 04:10:22 PM »
This morning, Mom and I had our updated Moderna booster at Walgreens on Warner Ave. in Huntington Beach.  I also had a polio shot.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019