Author Topic: Marvel Studios no-show for SDCC 2015  (Read 34202 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Re: Marvel Studios no-show for SDCC 2015?
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2015, 12:08:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Do you guys think some people will return badges now?

I think it would be a shame if people did because they thought Hall H is all the show had to offer, but it wouldn't surprise me if people did.

There's 6 posts in a row on the CCI FB page about Marvel and Hall H.

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2015, 12:11:51 PM »
I think it would be a shame if people did because they thought Hall H is all the show had to offer, but it wouldn't surprise me if people did.

There's 6 posts in a row on the CCI FB page about Marvel and Hall H.

Well, it would weed out all the people that seem to be hated for being there for "the wrong reasons".....though I believe there is no wrong reason and everyone belongs there. I'm sure some people do bank their whole trip on the MCU stuff though. There is no one thing that could pull out and make me not want to go......but I know it could for some people.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Marvel Studios no-show for SDCC 2015
« Reply #32 on: Today at 08:12:48 AM »

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2015, 12:50:10 PM »
I'm with you Mel, there is no one thing that could be pulled that would stop me from going to SDCC. I never have enough time to see and do all that I want to do, let alone stay in my hotel and sleep for eight hours. I look forward to MCU to help make the exhibit floor a little less crowded on Saturday, that is why I am disappointed.

I did buy myself a D23 ticket but that was mostly because I have never been and want to experience it at least once.
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2015, 01:00:17 PM »
That's kind of jumping the gun? They haven't confirmed or denied anything. It's still early. I don't know when the deadline for refunds is though. There is plenty of other stuff to do anyway. There may be some other cool panels instead that day. They probably aren't going to have a resale for refunded badges so that doesn't really help anyone else.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2015, 01:01:52 PM »
They'll still have comic panels. They'll still have a booth. There's no way I'd cancel over this. LOL

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2015, 01:14:21 PM »
I'm only disappointed because I suspect this means that Hall H will be more crowded (the line I mean, obviously the entire hall will be filled) on Friday.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2015, 01:23:22 PM »
I look forward to MCU to help make the exhibit floor a little less crowded on Saturday, that is why I am disappointed.

::Hammers the 'like' button::

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2015, 01:25:04 PM »
I bet they will still have a big booth. I took James Gunn's reply to mean Marvel Studios aka the filmmaking branch of Marvel. I'm sure they will have a big booth still and be hocking all their wares and whatnot. Just it looks like maybe no big Marvel panel and big signings from the stars at the booth.
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2015, 01:30:13 PM »
Part of me hopes they will skip as it opens up the Con for lots of other stuff I never seem to have time to do.  And I can understand them wanting to hold back for their own D23 convention.  But then it seems like they are missing out on a lot of free publicity.  Lately, the mainstream media is all over SDCC.  Not so much D23.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2015, 01:36:17 PM »
Part of me hopes they will skip as it opens up the Con for lots of other stuff I never seem to have time to do.  And I can understand them wanting to hold back for their own D23 convention.  But then it seems like they are missing out on a lot of free publicity.  Lately, the mainstream media is all over SDCC.  Not so much D23.

True but I feel like at this point Marvel is kinda...beyond that? They don't really "need" the attention. They showed they can kinda do whatever they want when they had that event last year where they announced their MCU plans. The press were ALL OVER that.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2015, 01:38:12 PM »
True but I feel like at this point Marvel is kinda...beyond that? They don't really "need" the attention. They showed they can kinda do whatever they want when they had that event last year where they announced their MCU plans. The press were ALL OVER that.

good point

Offline epicaz

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 264
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2015, 01:38:36 PM »

Exactly. It's one thing when you're promoting these major names coming to your expo ahead of time to put the public eye on their convention and gain attendees... but they don't. I dont think I have once in my life have heard about D23 aside from just the name, and I'm a big Disney fan :/ Meanwhile, I've been hearing about SDCC for years before I went.

Just seems like a weird move to pull their films from the biggest pop culture convention in the country, that is likely the largest gathering of Marvel fans in one place LOL. That counts for online attention too!

edit: YouThinkMeMad makes a good point though... Marvel did already release so much content...maybe they wouldn't have anything to talk about.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2015, 01:39:50 PM »
But they've skipped SDCC before. This isn't something 100% new.

Do I think D23 is as "fan friendly" as SDCC? No. And I expect whatever panel they have to be kinda boring. Unless because they're ONLY doing D23, they put more into it.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2015, 01:43:45 PM »
Is D23 geared more towards industry people and not fans?  I thought I had heard that somewhere.  I could be rumor mongering.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2015, 01:45:48 PM »
Is D23 geared more towards industry people and not fans?  I thought I had heard that somewhere.  I could be rumor mongering.

I know anyone can purchase tickets and attend but since it's a Disney event showing off their own stuff, I'd expect it to lean more towards press/industry.