Author Topic: Postponed: Green Day/Fall Out Boy/Weezer at Petco 7/24/2020  (Read 22846 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Re: Green Day/Fall Out Boy/Weezer at Petco 7/24/2020
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2019, 10:18:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That's the thing though.  If there was something planned their for SDCC, I don't think they could have booked that space at that time.  This year, other than Impractical Jokers and that Watchman thing, there wasn't anything at Petco Park that I can remember.  Both of those things could have easily been done anywhere else.  In fact, there were two Watchman activations.  The other one was done in a small parking lot.  Petco Park this year was empty during comic-con.  The fact that they booked this concert during the next comic-con, says to me that it was going to be empty next year too.  This doesn't portend well for the number of offsites there will be next year.

i agree with your assessment that petco likely would have remained dark during sdcc in 2020 after all it's an awkward venue to use, but I also think the concert is a way to increase the traffic in the downtown area while also not decreasing the traffic inside the convention center. the concert brings a lot of folks into petco at night when the con is closed & it doesn't pull focus from the convention during the day therefore the show floor & panels will still get the footfall traffic they need.
In addition, some of the folks attending the concert will come in early and be exposed to the con culture around the convention center & who knows they may actually like the wackyness that is pop culture con life  ;)

Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2019, 10:27:44 AM »
I wonder how they are going to handle the parking for this event since most of Petco parking is taken up by either offsites or SDCC parking?
I guess everyone could come in via trolley, but is that realistic given the numbers?

Friends of Comic Cons

Re: Postponed: Green Day/Fall Out Boy/Weezer at Petco 7/24/2020
« Reply #32 on: Today at 05:00:37 PM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2019, 12:43:45 PM »
I wonder how they are going to handle the parking for this event since most of Petco parking is taken up by either offsites or SDCC parking?
I guess everyone could come in via trolley, but is that realistic given the numbers?

oh yeah! that's indeed the challenge LOL
will the cci buses be opened up to non badge wearing attendees? will petco have their own transportation from another spot? etc all... it will be interesting to see what inventive solutions are put in place
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2019, 01:01:20 PM »
Have you thought that maybe I dont know, this will be like the real 50 years celebration and this is the beginning of an awesome number of offsites/activities? I read somewhere that last year was actually convention number 50, not the 50th year or something like that

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2019, 08:37:18 PM »

My guess this also means that the Petco Interactive Zone won't be there next year either.  Which is not a reach since this year it was not at it's best.  I think they peaked out last year with the live performers and movies at night.  This year, it was..... off.

Those things that have been in the Petco Interactive Zone haven't always been there. Years ago, they were in the parking lot that Amazon has used for the last couple of years.

Have you thought that maybe I dont know, this will be like the real 50 years celebration and this is the beginning of an awesome number of offsites/activities? I read somewhere that last year was actually convention number 50, not the 50th year or something like that

I hope so but I don't think so.  This isn't an offsite.  There's nothing comic-con about it.  It's just a concert that happens to be in San Diego at the same time as comic-con.  Events like that happen all the time.  Not everything that happens in San Diego during comic-con has to do with comic-con.  Now if it was MTV Fanfest making a return featuring Green Day/Fall Out Boy/Weezer, then that would be another thing altogether.  The fact that prime real estate where a lot of offsites have been in the past is free during comic-con, I think says that there won't be as many offsites next year.  This continues the trend of the last couple of years.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 08:44:40 PM by chocolateshake »

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2019, 11:23:55 PM »
Do Netflix, Amazon, the networks, and the studios even know what properties they are  going to promote next year to even start thinking about an offsite and start making plans for activations? 
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 11:53:43 PM by rabbitwarren »

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2019, 11:56:34 PM »
Do Netflix, Amazon, the networks, and the studios even know what properties they are even going to promote next year to even start thinking about an offsite and start making plans for activations?

They should.  Making a movie or a TV show is not a spur of a moment decision.  Many properties are in production for years before they start filming.  Then it's about another year before it's ready to show.  Sometimes even more than a year.  So they should already know what they want to promote next year.  Also making an offsite takes time too.  I would think anyone that is planning for an offsite next year already has it well under way and they would have booked the space for it already.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2019, 12:09:23 AM »
They should.  Making a movie or a TV show is not a spur of a moment decision.  Many properties are in production for years before they start filming.  Then it's about another year before it's ready to show.  Sometimes even more than a year.  So they should already know what they want to promote next year.  Also making an offsite takes time too.  I would think anyone that is planning for an offsite next year already has it well under way and they would have booked the space for it already.

The offsites are typically used for new shows. The streaming companies may know what they have to promote given that they funded the thing the,selves but they first have to see if it’s even worth promoting. Same with the movies. Why spend  million dollars on an offsite if you know the movie is a dud?

The traditional media companies don’t even know what new series they’ll invest in until spring. I remember so many promising pilots (Locke and Key is one).  that suddenly weren’t picked up in April

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2019, 10:22:18 AM »
The offsites are typically used for new shows. The streaming companies may know what they have to promote given that they funded the thing the,selves but they first have to see if it’s even worth promoting. Same with the movies. Why spend  million dollars on an offsite if you know the movie is a dud?

The traditional media companies don’t even know what new series they’ll invest in until spring. I remember so many promising pilots (Locke and Key is one).  that suddenly weren’t picked up in April

I don't think that's true.  The offsites are used to promote shows, whether new or old.  For example, there have been offsites for GOT, Westworld, Mr. Robot, Stranger Things, The Expanse, The Good Place, Brooklyn and The Walking Dead well after the shows were no longer new.  Yes, they do promote new shows too, Carinival Row this year for example.  But overall, I think there are more offsites for existing shows than for new shows.  The one distinction is offsites tend to happen for big shows or shows they hope will be big.  There's simply no reason to promote a smaller show that doesn't make a lot of money.  If it's a big show, then the marketing budget will also be big.  That marketing campaign is planned well in advance.  It's a big part of the budget.  An appearance at SDCC or an offsite is part of that marketing campaign.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2019, 09:32:30 AM »
we're queing / chatting in discord if anyone else is buying tix

« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:38:36 AM by alyssa »

Offline taka

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 172
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2019, 10:13:04 AM »
:O what are the prices on those?

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2019, 10:27:41 AM »
Absolute cheapest is $25, most upper deck 300s is $35. 200's are $75, then they go gradually go up to about $175 for lower sections/floor and super high for close ones. All before fees. I almost got some $35 ones but after fees they came out to $60 each so I passed.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2019, 11:44:15 AM »
tix aquired
pci row 5 $125

as someone said [member=8114]SynXack[/member] i think, it'll be a spectacle-- i can't imagine the bands/event won't pull out something special for sdcc

Offline SynXack

• Gaming Lounge
  • Guru Meditation == 0x0
  • Liked: 205
« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2019, 11:45:46 AM »
tix aquired
pci row 5 $125

as someone said [member=8114]SynXack[/member] i think, it'll be a spectacle-- i can't imagine the bands/event won't pull out something special for sdcc

You know it!!
“If no mistake have you made, yet losing you are ... a different game you should play.”--Yoda

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2019, 11:54:27 AM »
Glad you got good seats, Alyssa!