Author Topic: WonderCon 2020, Disney, Anaheim and COVID-19  (Read 9415 times)

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
Re: WonderCon 2020, Disney, Anaheim and COVID-19
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2020, 11:20:56 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Unfortunately, if 1 or more cases are confirmed in Anaheim, they may have to move to postpone large gatherings.  So far, no cases. Best of health to all!
There's already been a handful.  For whatever reason not a ton of Southern CA is worrying too much.  I had a friend at a school in Temecula (in Riverside County) have school canceled for 2 weeks because a faculty member was tested positive for Coronavirus and was in contact with 71 students.  But in SoCA that's the only bit of precaution I've heard of so far.

I think at this point it's possible, maybe even plausible, for WonderCon to cancel: but I think it's still too early to seriously worry about it (and honestly, besides the potential headache of canceling hotels/airfare/whatever it's not worth the brain-power or energy to really worry about it anyway).
I personally appreciate WonderCon not getting all panicky and taking the very good "wait-and-see" approach to all of this.  I personally think USA has completely dropped the ball on all of this and we're well past the point of legit containment and there isn't a ton that we can do at this point other than individuals being vigilant & staying home if a fever develops & healthy folks washing their hands incessantly.  I think as of Tues. March 10 a LOT of organizations are being a bit panicky.  For example, The Ohio State University, my alma mater, canceling classes for several weeks when there are zero cases of coronavirus anywhere in OH other than Cleveland area, roughly 150 miles north east.  I think it's telling that big-money events like the Big Ten men's basketball tournament is under no such cancellation: meaning the situation is not dangerous enough to cancel events that would cost the University millions to pull out of.  South x South West canceled, costing the city of Austin around $340 million in revenue, and the organization immediately started laying off staff yesterday because of the loss of revenue.

I think CCI is appropriately being cautious about making drastic decisions at this time, and waiting to see the seriousness of the situation first.  I sincerely appreciate that

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 214
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2020, 11:40:37 AM »
This just got posted a couple of hours ago:

We appear to be okay for now, but ... things can change quickly.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:26:45 AM »

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2020, 11:53:46 AM »
ECCC was always on "at this time," until it wasn't. Same with SXSW. I want to be optimistic, but conferences are getting cancelled left and right, often with few days notice. In this situation, being a month out is an eternity.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline Blubutterfly505

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 247
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2020, 03:34:54 PM »
For the 1st time in 13 years we are not attending SDCC. We decided to go on a European vacation and do WonderCon instead. Well now with COVID-19 everything is canceled. My husband is a self employed native american artist and we just got back from an art show. At the show a collector came by and told us no big purchases. He's a stock market financial analyst and he said that his firm has been looking at everything and that we are heading into a recession.  One of the first things to go is disposable income such as art purchases. Since most of our money comes through his art sales I had to pull the plug on everything. Our biggest art show is in August and he said thats around the time it will be announced. You need to have 2 consecutive quarters with negative growth first, couple that with the upcoming presidential election and its not looking so good for us in August. I'm crossing my fingers that doesnt happen but it took us a while to recover from the 2008 recession and I need to just play it safe.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2020, 04:57:15 PM »
i hate to say it but it just 'feels' like everyone is getting prepared for self quarantine. Trader Joes was packed yesterday at 1"30, Zion market was dead on Tues at 3pm. looking at folks shopping carts they full of staples

I hope CCI doesn't have to cancel but if the mouse is told to close- CCI won't have a choice.  i for one am super glad i at least got sdcf in before it really starts.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2020, 06:57:58 PM »
I really think that the fest will be the only con for me this year.  I'm glad I went to that.  I was considering skipping it.  If I caught it and spread it to my parents, that would be catastrophic.  I'm already in semi-hunker mode.  I only go out to get supplies.  Once the first case or two of community spread happens in San Diego, I won't even do that.  I'm practicing the same protocol as I do when I visit an ER.  For example, I have my outside the house clothes and my inside the house clothes.  I switch in the garage.

I don't see a point forward for Wondercon at this point.  In a few weeks, the numbers will be much worse than they are now.  I think it's only a matter of time until Orange County calls for no more large gatherings.

I noticed today that rubbing alcohol is gone.  I got some last week in case I run out of hand sanitizer.  There was plenty then.  Today it's an empty shelf.

Offline Mario Wario

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • Crazy-Town Banana-Pants!
  • Liked: 684
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2020, 07:28:28 PM »
I hate to say it, everyone, I hate even think this, but I’m expecting WonderCon 2020 will be either postponed or cancelled. Reason? The CDC is once again pushing for social distancing, California is doing the same in certain areas and another month will probably be needed to see if things will settle down. Oh, then there is the E3 cancellation news, too, if true.

COVID-19 is not like that virus seen in the movie Contagion, and there is a drug being tested that is showing good results versus the virus, but COVID-19 is not a senior citizen’s best friend right now. We all gotta do our part to stop or slow down the spread of this dumb virus to protect others that need the protection. I also expect Disneyland to be closed soon for a bit. Of course, I hope I’m wrong and that everything is fine later this month, and beyond. I feel dirty thinking that WonderCon won’t happen.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 08:32:08 PM by Mario Wario »
Twitter: @ScottyTheWise

2014: SDCC, LBCC
2015: WC, SWCA, WW Sac., D23, LBCC, Comikaze
2016: SVCC, WC, SDCC
2017: ECCC, WC, SVCC, D23, SDCC
2018: WC, SVCC, E3, SDCC
2019: WC, SDCC, D23
2022: SWCA, SDCC, D23
2023: SDCC

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2020, 09:05:03 PM »
I'm expecting Wondercon to be cancelled too. First, I can't imagine any of the studios wanting to send their talent for the panels. If they already pulled out for SXSW before Austin got any real COVID-19 cases, they're not going to bother with Wondercon when Anaheim has some cases and is already a city filled with travelers who go to Disneyland. Second, city officials will probably force CCI to cancel due to risk of large gatherings. There are numerous upcoming sports games in CA that won't have fans attending anymore. Those games will still take place because there's money made from TV airing. But we might soon see empty arenas for most games in the near future.

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2020, 10:37:42 AM »
The proverbial other shoe has dropped, kids:

Well, crap.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2020, 10:46:52 AM »
in class to day the teacher had the conversation, while he did not say we're going to be closed, the infrastructure is in place & to stay connected.
I'm attending the SD community college
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2020, 10:59:47 AM »
COVID-19 is not like that virus seen in the movie Contagion, and there is a drug being tested that is showing good results versus the virus, but COVID-19 is not a senior citizen’s best friend right now. We all gotta do our part to stop or slow down the spread of this dumb virus to protect others that need the protection.

As a senior citizen with a pre-existing health condition, I appreciate your saying that.  I appreciate it more than you will ever know.

But (And I realize I'm speaking only for myself here, and not on behalf of all seniors), my wish for you and everyone who's reading these words is very simple.  I want you to go out and live your best lives.  Have fun.  Make memories.   Meet new people and make new friends.

If WonderCon 2020 is still a thing (Which is getting more and more unlikely) then I'm going.  I may not shake hands as much and I'm going to wash my hands a lot more often than I normally do, but the heck with it.  I'm going.  If Wonder Con gets postponed or canceled, I'm going to Disneyland.  If Disney closes, I'll find something else to do. 

I'm going to live my life.   It's that simple.  Foolhardy?  Maybe.  But it's the way I've always done it and I've made it this far.  No regrets.

If the show goes on, then I will see you guys there.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2020, 11:05:24 AM »
As a senior citizen with a pre-existing health condition, I appreciate your saying that.  I appreciate it more than you will ever know.

But (And I realize I'm speaking only for myself here, and not on behalf of all seniors), my wish for you and everyone who's reading these words is very simple.  I want you to go out and live your best lives.  Have fun.  Make memories.   Meet new people and make new friends.

If WonderCon 2020 is still a thing (Which is getting more and more unlikely) then I'm going.  I may not shake hands as much and I'm going to wash my hands a lot more often than I normally do, but the heck with it.  I'm going.  If Wonder Con gets postponed or canceled, I'm going to Disneyland.  If Disney closes, I'll find something else to do. 

I'm going to live my life.   It's that simple.  Foolhardy?  Maybe.  But it's the way I've always done it and I've made it this far.  No regrets.

If the show goes on, then I will see you guys there.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   Your statement somehow brought tears to my eyes. In this whirlwind that swirls more violently every hour, I felt calmness, reason, hope, and wisdom in your voice. Thank you.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2020, 11:39:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login   Your statement somehow brought tears to my eyes. In this whirlwind that swirls more violently every hour, I felt calmness, reason, hope, and wisdom in your voice. Thank you.

I have very fond memories of my first few comic-cons that I went to back in the early 80's.  I got to rub shoulders with the likes of Stan Lee, Jack Kirby and Ray Bradbury.  Those are memories I treasure to this day and will for the rest of my life.  It breaks my heart to think you kids may not be able to go this year.

Sir Winston Churchill once said "Fear is a reaction.  Courage is a decision."  He was so right.

Be brave, Marcia.  And all of you.  Be brave.  I promise you we're gonna get through this.

Offline SDcomics

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2020, 11:42:53 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2020, 11:45:04 AM »
Sir Winston Churchill once said "Fear is a reaction.  Courage is a decision."  He was so right.
**great** Churchill quote
thx .... courage is a choice on how to live. sometimes the choice is daily, sometimes not so much ;)