Con Suite > Off-Topic Chat

Disney Galactic Starcruiser immersive experience

(1/2) > >>

semigeekgirl:
More details have been released and it's supposed to open in 2022.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I don't know... I'm kind of disappointed? I was prepared for the pricetag but at $1200 (ish) per adult per night I was hoping for something a little more stunning. For instance I thought maybe there would be some sort of pre-arrival program where you got to plan out/create your character, get a backstory, etc. But instead it just says you're welcome to come in cosplay or buy shopdisney merch to wear. And the packages don't seem really customizable at all (although alcohol is not included and the "Captain's Table" is an additional fee). I'm sure it will be cool, but I wanted to be blown away, and I'm just ...not.

perc2100:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginMore details have been released and it's supposed to open in 2022.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I don't know... I'm kind of disappointed? I was prepared for the pricetag but at $1200 (ish) per adult I was hoping for something a little more stunning. For instance I thought maybe there would be some sort of pre-arrival program where you got to plan out/create your character, get a backstory, etc. But instead it just says you're welcome to come in cosplay or buy shopdisney merch to wear. And the packages don't seem really customizable at all (although alcohol is not included and the "Captain's Table" is an additional fee). I'm sure it will be cool, but I wanted to be blown away, and I'm just ...not.

--- End quote ---
A friend of mine equated this to "real life Jurassic Park" in the sense that it's a rich-person's thing to throw gobs of money at a theme park hotel.  For my wife & I to go w/our 7 year old, it'd cost $2667 before any taxes (or theme park tix or food, etc).  To stay in the Grand Floridian, the priciest resort at WDW, would cost my fam around $500 per night.
Typically I've only cared about hotels for 1) how close they are to the parks and 2) how comfortable are beds when I'm sleeping.  I've mostly approached hotels as just a place to recharge my batteries (phone & brain).  This is obviously a more "interactive" type thing, but it feels like the original concept vs what it really is has once again fallen short, with all of the cooler personal ideas that would've involved more 'actors' in the cast, or droid stuff cut back in lieu of "just things people can spend more money on" (see what Galaxy's Edge was originally supposed to be vs what it's ended up being).

Now, I was a Disneyland Annual Passholder for about 15ish years before they eliminated that program.  I say that as a way of saying I adore Disneyland, and have seen almost every nook and cranny of the parks pre-COVID (ie pre-Avengers Campus opening), and have spent a not-small fortune there over the years.  But for me I think it's getting to be a bit too much.  As a life-long SW nerd I was thinking this would be a cool way to spend an Anniversary weekend w/my wife some day, but for that price I can't imagine it'd be worth it for me personally

Friends of Comic Cons:
(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});

semigeekgirl:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginA friend of mine equated this to "real life Jurassic Park" in the sense that it's a rich-person's thing to throw gobs of money at a theme park hotel.  For my wife & I to go w/our 7 year old, it'd cost $2667 before any taxes (or theme park tix or food, etc).  To stay in the Grand Floridian, the priciest resort at WDW, would cost my fam around $500 per night.
Typically I've only cared about hotels for 1) how close they are to the parks and 2) how comfortable are beds when I'm sleeping.  I've mostly approached hotels as just a place to recharge my batteries (phone & brain).  This is obviously a more "interactive" type thing, but it feels like the original concept vs what it really is has once again fallen short, with all of the cooler personal ideas that would've involved more 'actors' in the cast, or droid stuff cut back in lieu of "just things people can spend more money on" (see what Galaxy's Edge was originally supposed to be vs what it's ended up being).

Now, I was a Disneyland Annual Passholder for about 15ish years before they eliminated that program.  I say that as a way of saying I adore Disneyland, and have seen almost every nook and cranny of the parks pre-COVID (ie pre-Avengers Campus opening), and have spent a not-small fortune there over the years.  But for me I think it's getting to be a bit too much.  As a life-long SW nerd I was thinking this would be a cool way to spend an Anniversary weekend w/my wife some day, but for that price I can't imagine it'd be worth it for me personally

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I'd totally be into a real-life-Jurassic-Park type experience. I'm not rich but immersive stuff is my absolute favorite across all fandoms. Even if I'm not 100% in love with the IP I love getting to "be" in another world and feel like I'm part of it. This... just doesn't seem to hit that sweet spot? I admit, I haven't made it to Galaxy's Edge yet (was still waiting for crowds to die down a little when Covid hit), so maybe I'll be more impressed by Batuu than I think I will, and that would make me more into this. But as it stands I'd rather just drop $2500 on throwing myself a really cool Star Wars party/cosplay photoshoot.

And yeah, it's definitely the type of thing my husband and I would do if it seemed less generic. We flew to London for a week to do Dinner in the Great Hall at the WB Studio Tour. This SHOULD be totally up our alley, but I'm just... underwhelmed.

Transmute Jun:
To give you an idea for Galaxy's Edge/Batuu, it is about as immersive as the Wizarding World at Universal Studios.

perc2100:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYeah, I'd totally be into a real-life-Jurassic-Park type experience. I'm not rich but immersive stuff is my absolute favorite across all fandoms. Even if I'm not 100% in love with the IP I love getting to "be" in another world and feel like I'm part of it.

--- End quote ---
I'm with you, and that's why for that price I'd probably just rather go to Europe, or Africa, or Asia and immerse myself for real in a totally different 'world' or culture.  As a HS music teacher I've gone on European tours with our instrumental music program, four trips in 15 or so years, and the total price for the students and parents (which included airfare, hotels, breakfasts, most dinners, tons of tours, tour guides, etc) was no where near the cost just for this 'hotel!'

It sucks, because I was born in the 70's, grew up in the 80's, and that makes me a guy who's been "immersed" in Star Wars my whole life (I guess technically I'm 8 months older than A NEW HOPE, but all of my cognizant life  :P ) and this sounds so cool in many ways.  It just feels like the price point is out of my grasp, and I'd be no means say I am poor or whatnot: this is a legit upper-class vacation thing (or "charge the hell on a credit card and pay it off w/crazy interest for years" vacation thing).  At least w/Galaxy's Edge SW fans can get the kinda immersive experience at a pseudo-affordable cost

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version