Author Topic: Free Guy (spoilers)  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Free Guy (spoilers)
« on: August 14, 2021, 06:59:01 PM »
I haven't been to a movie theatre in close to 2 years, but felt the urge to go this weekend.  We saw Free Guy today. I thought it would be good, but it was *really* good. It's definitely something I'll be watching again in the future.

Anyone else like this film?

And while I put 'spoilers' in the thread title, that's just pre-emptive. I won't spoil in the first post.

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
Re: Free Guy (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2021, 07:47:27 PM »
I watched it on Thursday preview night. It was definitely better than I expected. The story is actually a bit more complex than I expected. I'm a big Jodie Comer fan so it was exciting to see her on the big screen for the first time. I love her cover version of Fantasy which was played during the climax scene. I even shed a couple of tears during that part. She and Ryan Reynolds had great chemistry. While the movie itself makes fun of the idea of sequels, it sounds like they might do a sequel since the box office for the first weekend was better than expected and I'm cool with that since the cast was great together.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:30:58 PM »

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2021, 09:23:57 PM »
We loved all of the video game references and my son recognized all of the Youtubers in it. I was also impressed with Joe Keery. It's not every actor who can play both a dumb jock and a computer nerd and be believable (and likable) in both roles. I do agree that Ryan and Jodie had great chemistry.

I think she was Rey's mother, right? So she did have a (small) big screen role...?

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2021, 06:37:42 PM »
Yeah Jodie played Rey's mother in the Rise of the Skywalker. She's best known for her role as Villanelle on the show Killing Eve for which she won an Emmy for. Yeah I loved Joe Keery too. The whole movie was well cast.

Hope it's ok to discuss spoilers. I was really surprised by the AI part of the story. I liked the idea that humans can create an AI that can be inherently good like Guy. Most movies/TV shows tackle AI that become "evil" and then take over humans and the world but I don't think it always has to be that way.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2021, 08:18:47 PM »
It was definitely a mirror version of that typical formula, since Guy was 'good', but that was actually 'evil' to Antwan, who hated the way Guy was 'destroying' the game.

And yes, spoilers are okay... I put that in the title. ;)

Offline jintuon

• Sails Pavilion
    • Zodiac Signs
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2021, 06:03:56 AM »
I love this film as well. We watched it a week ago. I'm a fan of Jodie Comer as well ;)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2021, 12:06:00 PM »
Apparently, there will be a 'Blue Shirt Guy' skin released for Fortnite...

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2021, 12:01:43 AM »
I was watching the movie again today and I was thinking why the movie left me so full of hope at the end. I think there's something about the idea that AI can reflect humanity. I mentioned earlier most of the movies and TV shows nowadays show AI eventually becoming sentient enough to want to destroy its evil creators, us humans, and it's all doom and gloom, end of the world stuff. But what if AI can develop and grow and become interesting characters and be sentient but still somehow not want to destroy humanity? What if it could just want to learn from us and we from them? And both humans and AI change for the better because of it? Going back to the movie, it felt like the movie was essentially about Millie and also Key's love for her. They created a game that had this AI became sentient (with Guy as its lead) and the AI was wholesome and good and it was a reflection of those two, Millie and Keys. Guy as the AI became sentient enough at the end to tell Millie the obvious, something that she couldn't see for herself, that he was written as a love letter for her, and that she should wake up and find his creator. Guy, in a way, saved her from the negative mindset she had early on in the movie when she was obsessed with suing Antwan for stealing their game's code. I like that circle of life idea, that humans and AI can save each other.

I wonder if they can make Funko Pops for the Free Guy characters. Would want one of Molotov Girl if possible.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2021, 06:42:24 AM »
You've clearly thought long and hard about this, Omraged9! But what you say makes sense. For me (watching once) the romance between Millie and Keys was subtle at first, when they were in the interview and asked about it, and he looked stricken when she said nothing was happening. But it grew on me enough that it didn't feel like it came out of left field at the end, and was a natural conclusion.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4558
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2021, 08:36:46 PM »
It was cute.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 08:56:05 AM »
Finally saw it in IMAX. Compared to the last duds I've seen in the theaters, (Suicide Squad, FF9, WW84, Black Widow) it was a masterpiece.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 10:04:03 AM »
Finally saw it in IMAX. Compared to the last duds I've seen in the theaters, (Suicide Squad, FF9, WW84, Black Widow) it was a masterpiece.

Well yeah, if that's what you're looking at in comparison... ;)  Now you know why I haven't been to theatres in almost 2 years (until I saw Free Guy). Even after theatres finally opened up in our area, there wasn't much I wanted to see. I did watch WW84 and Suicide Squad on HBO Max, and waited a few months to catch Bill & Ted on Hulu. That was the right call for all of those. I'm waiting for BW to be 'free' on Disney+.

I'm debating going to see Ghostbusters Afterlife in theatres in November... if they aren't shut down again by then. The only other thing I'm interested in this year is Matrix 4, which I'll watch on HBO Max... and I'm expecting to be disappointed in that one, so I wouldn't want to pay for a theatre for it anyway.

So.... (getting back on topic) this is why it was such a pleasure to see Free Guy.

Offline Old Man Grey

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 258
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 04:27:51 PM »
I'm a movie theater guy and even the best tv is  no match. Plus I want to support the theaters so they don't go away. I just wish the movies were better.

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4558
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 12:05:31 PM »
I'm a movie theater guy and even the best tv is  no match. Plus I want to support the theaters so they don't go away. I just wish the movies were better.

I am right there with you!  I have seen a lot lately.  I am hoping it will encourage more to be released.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion