Author Topic: The business of comics  (Read 25700 times)

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
The business of comics
« on: February 25, 2017, 09:33:14 PM »
Please use this thread to discuss all things related to the business of comics :)

To start:

In this enlightening Bleeding Cool article, the legendary Neal Adams references data from the Fair Page Rates and 2016 Survey Results to show why those involved in the comic creative process need to work together for improved compensation and treatment:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Neal Adams writes,

If you have seen the latest figures on the common rates on “Fair Page Rates”  for our fellow professionals in the industry, you are probably as disappointed as I to know in your heart how hard comic book artists work to produce their comic books. There is nothing wrong with shopping for artists around the world, which Marvel is doing followed by DC and others, and shopping for cheaper talent. But there is only one world to go to. And just like everyone else, artists have to live, get married, pay rent and put their kids through school while they buy clothes cars and food. We should all, Publishers, Comic Book Stores and Creatives, all of us should be fighting to raise the Standards of our Industry and endeavor to pay people properly for their work.

But we all also know that if the comic books do not sell to the audience then the downward trend cannot be easily stopped.  We all, all of us must be mindful of any and all methodologies that can increase sales to a broader audience so that creatives get paid properly for their work. Publishers pay low rates but rent big offices. Publishers depend on movies and television to advertise their product but hardly spend money to advertise to the consumer.

The Creatives, to protect themselves from the downward spiral, do their independent projects in hopes to sell them for tv and or film projects. Yet they rarely make smart deals and look for licensing and to otherwise market their product in other areas. This information sheet that you can find here is a Great First Step to informing others about the Standards of the Industry. Though incomplete, it gives a good overview of what’s going on. It will help Freelancers to protect themselves to some extent. It is just the beginning to inform and bring true assistance to Freelancers in the Industry.

I don’t know all the answers but Information is the first step. As an overall principle “We want our Publishers to get rich but we want them to share it with us.” We all need to work together to stay informed and share ideas. I, for one, will help in any way whether you be Publisher, Comic Book Store, Distributor or Freelancer, to help improve our Industry and to put better rates into the hands of Freelancers based on the overall success of our product to more and more people. Book Publishers share information and though, we may seem scattered, we still communicate with each other and each can offer a helping hand to make this industry better.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Re: The business of comics
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 09:54:17 PM »

My random comments:

I have always appreciated the art of comics for 25 years and appreciated it more since I have tried to learn to draw and found out how hard it is to do.

I think they get a bad rap as not artists because of the subject matter, but they are extremely talented .  For perspective, google Oliver Coipel, Stuart Immonen, or Simone Bianchi's art and then think that they have to output a page/day to complete a monthly comic.

Marc Silvestri commented that the talent pool is the deepest its ever been and I agree.

It is my understanding that artists are still freelance making around $200/page and while watching a documentary on comics, they make the same ratio of pay to cover price of the comics to what it was when comics started.

My personal feeling is comic artists are in fact artists and are underpaid.

I'll be sure to talk about writers in my next random post.  :)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:49:32 AM »

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 07:00:20 PM »
My random comments:

I have always appreciated the art of comics for 25 years and appreciated it more since I have tried to learn to draw and found out how hard it is to do.

I think they get a bad rap as not artists because of the subject matter, but they are extremely talented .  For perspective, google Oliver Coipel, Stuart Immonen, or Simone Bianchi's art and then think that they have to output a page/day to complete a monthly comic.

Marc Silvestri commented that the talent pool is the deepest its ever been and I agree.

It is my understanding that artists are still freelance making around $200/page and while watching a documentary on comics, they make the same ratio of pay to cover price of the comics to what it was when comics started.

My personal feeling is comic artists are in fact artists and are underpaid.

I'll be sure to talk about writers in my next random post.  :)

Agreed, especially with your point that "comic artists are in fact artists and are underpaid." Taken to heart upon every con visit to an Artist's Alley; their hard work needs $upport.

Called to mind this optimistic take from a recent Newsarama series: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

"The format of a comic book, to me, is so perfect." Price said. "It’s portable, it’s a beautiful piece of art; a comic fills your field of vision while at the same time moving you through a story in a coherent yet artistic way. While we never know what tomorrow may bring, I certainly hope they are around forever."

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 12:17:12 PM »
This overdue move should certainly help Marvel get the word out about their comics ;)

Press Release

The greatest heroes, the biggest creators and the can’t-miss comic titles of 2017 are coming to a big screen and a small screen near you. Today, Marvel is pleased to announce an ambitious spring advertising campaign that will see several key Marvel Comics releases advertised ahead of blockbuster films and airing on broadcast television channels with the key goal of exciting and mobilizing TV & Film fans into local comic book shops and retailers.

First, Marvel Comics are coming to a theater near you! Beginning this weekend, keep your eyes peeled for special pre-trailer advertisements before some of 2017’s biggest releases! Including ads promoting Marvel’s highly-anticipated SECRET EMPIRE event ahead of select screenings of Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2!

Then, Marvel Comics come to the small screen with dedicated TV advertising and promotions. To be featured on ABC and other broadcast networks nationwide, fans can look forward to dedicated spots, on-air interviews, and more devoted towards Marvel’s biggest comic book launches this spring — SECRET EMPIRE and Marvel’s upcoming slate of X-MEN titles and more!

This year, Marvel continues to bridge the worlds of graphic fiction with all new audiences and now, with extensive advertising activations, the House of Ideas is set to reach entirely new audiences in 2017 and invite them directly into local comic shops! The biggest characters and creators are waiting for you at your nearest comic retailer!

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 01:03:59 PM »
Great article and link!  Thx for sharing!  I'd also like to add that many artists end up having to sell their originals to get by.  I had no idea BOOM was such a bad place to work.  I don't think I'll support them anymore.
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline Mel

• Volunteer HQ
    • Flickr
  • Liked: 1923
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 02:05:05 PM »
Great article and link!  Thx for sharing!  I'd also like to add that many artists end up having to sell their originals to get by.  I had no idea BOOM was such a bad place to work.  I don't think I'll support them anymore.

Where did you see that Boom is bad?
Formerly cracksback

My Flickr
-----------------------------
My Twitter

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 02:12:16 PM »
The hero initiative I believe was started because comic creators didn't get much beyond their freelance fees which made saving for longterm difficult

The Hero Initiative, formerly known as A Commitment to Our Roots, or ACTOR, is the first federally recognized not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping comic book creators, writers and artists in need. Founded in late 2000 by a consortium of comic book and trade publishers, including Marvel Comics, Image Comics, Dark Horse Comics, Wizard Entertainment, CrossGen Comics and Dynamic Forces Inc., the 501(c)(3) charity aims to assist comic creators with health, medical, and quality-of-life assistance.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 02:14:27 PM »
Where did you see that Boom is bad?

Scroll down there's 20 statements.  I am also surprised by Zenescope especially since they gave me their business card for penciling work.  Glad I dodge that.
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 09:38:27 AM »
Diversifying their portfolio again...

Marvel Entertainment has been on the forefront of merging the worlds of comics and music, and starting today, Marvel is proud to introduce MARVEL PLAYBACK. Debuting exclusively with Marvel.com, MARVEL PLAYBACK sits down with some of the biggest names in music as they present and showoff their love of the comic book industry, their local comic shops, and all things Marvel.

Kicking off today, MARVEL PLAYBACK was offered the chance to speak with Pat Carney from The Black Keys and spoke with him about the synergy between music and comics, the timelessness of Marvel Comics, and who first introduced him to the world of comic books. “I got into comics when I was 10 years old,” said Carney. “I remember looking at the old comics that my dad had and they were all 12 cents. I started mowing lawns when I was in 4th grade just to be able to pay for comic books.”

A companion video series to the Marvel Music Spotlight Series, MARVEL PLAYBACK, will continue to offers fans behind-the-scenes interviews available nowhere else that. Available only on Marvel.com, MARVEL PLAYBACK will be released in conjunction with future Marvel Music Spotlight Videos and will further emphasize the natural connectivity between music and comics through the personal stories and anecdotes from some of the biggest names in music and how Marvel comics have helped shaped their unique sound.

as Maul proved to be a hit:

From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So while Diamond acknowledged the performance of the Walking Dead issue in its press release, it ranked Marvel's Star Wars: Darth Maul #1 as the top-seller for February.

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 08:11:07 AM »
Essential reading from ICv2 - including an article by Rob Salkowitz - about the recent Marvel Retailer Summit:

Offline matthew

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2017, 10:59:30 PM »
this was very interesting.

please note that some people are making $9,700.00 a week for webcomics.  often these artists work with one or more people. cuts down the prize. and sometimes one must post free work for months, to get noticed, and prove you can pump out weekly content. the content is often (but not always...) far from what american style comics offer in way of artistic quality. this is happening here:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

one must surrender printing rights for 1 year on content posted, and cannot post elsewhere, should a fee start being paid. some people are making far more than the fee on merchandise.

then there are odd tales, like the comic "tales of demons and gods". made by a chinese writer (a unknown), who does poor drawings to illustrate his half decade old story, gets tens of millions of hits on individual pirate sites. i can only wonder who is paying him to keep drawing issues, as he is on his 120th or so one,  he would not do so if it did not pay.

could work translated into other languages be a key? or just a window for pirates to swipe content in a new country? lol tales of demons and gods got famous by being pirated from china into america. how is that for a change of pace?

here, a comic made for viewing mostly on a phone:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 11:29:28 PM by matthew »

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 08:34:34 PM »
To better understand the present business, a 8) flashback is sometimes due:

Offline matthew

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2017, 09:38:18 PM »
a color cover with black and white interior comic with 32 pages at 20,000 copies costs about 28 cents a book.

you nor the publisher, decide the price of a comic, diamond distributors does.

diamond also approves if the comic is to be accepted, not just the publisher.

for each the first 4 harry potter movies, the ip holder got about 433,000.00 american dollars each.

30 days and 30 nights movie adaption got 1 million american dollars.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2017, 10:25:22 PM »
To better understand the present business, a 8) flashback is sometimes due:

Some great tidbits in there. I like the bit of trivia about the work "FLICK" and the one about Ralph Macchio.

a color cover with black and white interior comic with 32 pages at 20,000 copies costs about 28 cents a book.

you nor the publisher, decide the price of a comic, diamond distributors does.

diamond also approves if the comic is to be accepted, not just the publisher.

for each the first 4 harry potter movies, the ip holder got about 433,000.00 american dollars each.

30 days and 30 nights movie adaption got 1 million american dollars.

It certainly seems like comic book companies have some role in determining the price. For example the stipulation by the creators that Saga is never more than $2.99.

I'm not saying that Diamond isn't influential, but am curious about the claim that publishers have no say. I myself also have a very tiny amount of power, if the price is too high for the material then I won't buy it, or will move to a more cost effective option.

Offline matthew

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »
i once saw what i recall as their policies, diamond decides the price. saga may get some say, but let's face facts, distribution would be hard if diamond wanted to push back hard.

im sure a good indie book will get zero say.