Author Topic: NYCC October 8-11, 2020  (Read 12143 times)

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
NYCC October 8-11, 2020
« on: October 30, 2019, 05:53:37 AM »
New York Comic Con
October 8-11, 2020
Jacob Javits Center

Social:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
Re: NYCC October 8-11, 2020
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 07:27:40 PM »

UPDATE ON OUR OPERATIONS

A temporary medical station is being constructed at the Javits Center to house non-COVID-19 patients and relieve the burden on local hospitals. Our employees are proud to help during this unprecedented crisis, and we hope you will continue to support us, now and in the future. If you have any symptoms or concerns, please consult a physician or call 311.

javitscenter We have built auto shows and art galleries, toy fairs and tech conferences, comic cons and cooking expos. But this is the first time our team has built a medical station — at a time when the stakes have never been higher for New York and the country. Proud to play a role. #covid19

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:51:12 PM »

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 11:19:12 PM »

Excerpt from Newsarama interview.

Nrama: And how about on the employee safety side - how is ReedPOP managing that, with its home office in Connecticut but also elsewhere - and for pre-con site visits?

Fensterman: Like most we are now an entirely remote team, for how spread around the world we already were that has been less of an adjustment than it might have been for others.
We also have some massive video, editorial and content delivery platforms (60 million monthly readers/viewers) so staying in touch with our fans without the benefit of live events has also been less of a transition for us than maybe for some others out there.

Nrama: The logistical process of refunding money to your ticket holders, vendors, and other parties must be tremendous - and that's not counting the other costs of cons, from shipping, unions, hotel fees, etc. How does ReedPOP handle this kind of massive financial change - and is there insurance in the live event industry to help in these difficult times?

Fensterman: Insurance does not cover anything that is happening now.  Nearly any insurance policy that could be obtained (and most are very narrow in scope) would carve out an event like what we are experiencing. So we are shouldering the sunk costs ourselves where appropriate, refunding to fans in all cases and keeping our eyes on the long term.

Our entire focus is on our fans and how we will serve them for years to come, not on trying to save or recoup a buck this year. And the same goes for our teams.  We are not laying anyone off,  In fact I’ve got open positions I need to fill and more on the way.

Offline WonderTwin93

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 23
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 06:18:17 PM »
On one hand I’m skeptical it will happen but with SDCC cancelled seems like it’s worth at least getting a badge and waiting to see what happens.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 07:06:42 PM »
This might be the time I actually go to this for more than a single day...but then again, it's not one I've always enjoyed...however, w/cons getting cancelled left and right...might scratch the itch...
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline mllNY

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 07:27:34 PM »
wonder if they are considering making a deliberately smaller NYCC or maybe expanding to a second convention center
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 06:58:18 PM »
From You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The temporary US Army hospital at the Jacob K. Javits Center is closing Friday after treating nearly 1,100 patients, federal officials said. A Federal Emergency Management Agency spokesperson confirmed the closure Friday in an email to The Post.

“Planning is ongoing for the drawdown of federal resources that are no longer needed due to the flattening of the curve,” the spokesperson wrote in an email. “The remaining patients at the Jacob Javits Center are expected to be discharged or transferred today.”

More than 1,094 patients were treated there, a FEMA spokesperson told The Post. The makeshift, 1,000-room hospital — converted from four sections of exhibition space on Manhattan’s West Side — opened in late March after Gov. Andrew Cuomo requested that the US Army Corps of Engineers build at least four field hospitals and the Navy deploy its USNS Comfort hospital ship to the city.

But just one of the facilities actually opened, as the number of coronavirus-related hospitalizations in the city fell far below forecasts by health officials, with 18,825 cases tallied by April 12.

From NYCC Reed Pop Listening Circuit Attendee survey:
We hope as you’re reading this that you and your loved ones are healthy and safe. The world is so clearly different now and we know so many of you are personally being affected by this pandemic.

As our fans, you continue to be our #1 priority here at ReedPop. Now more than ever it’s important to surround ourselves with things we’re passionate about and feel connected to a community of fans just like us.

We want to know how we can continue to provide you with the content you crave. We’ve put together a brief survey so you can tell us exactly what you’d like access to during this time and beyond. Let’s define fandom, together.

As we wait for this pandemic to pass, remember the words of some of our favorite heroes, “This is the fight of our lives. We are going to win. Whatever it takes.”

Wishing you the best,

The ReedPop Team

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 09:33:50 AM »
Danger, Will Robinson! I got an online survey yesterday from NYCC, asking me what I'd like ReedPop to offer in the way of virtual content... ugh... looks like they are preparing for a possible move to have the con online. In the comments, I told them I didn't want an online con and wouldn't spend money for such an event, and asked them when NYCC badges were going on sale. ;)

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 11:16:04 AM »

javitscenter We are proud to be part of a coalition being formed by @nycgo to work with cultural institutions, businesses and conventions to safely reopen & revitalize NYC. Visit You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to learn more. 📸by @julienneschaer

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 04:13:21 PM »
Danger, Will Robinson! I got an online survey yesterday from NYCC, asking me what I'd like ReedPop to offer in the way of virtual content... ugh... looks like they are preparing for a possible move to have the con online. In the comments, I told them I didn't want an online con and wouldn't spend money for such an event, and asked them when NYCC badges were going on sale. ;)

I put the same except at the end I put see you in 2021 instead of when do they go on sale  >:D 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline NYRider

• Hall H
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 06:13:28 AM »
The NY Auto Show, which had been moved to August, has now cancelled for this year. Despite no patients, the Javits is still being used as an active hospital on stand-by for the foreseeable future. This doesn't look good for NYCC, if they are preparing for a second wave in the fall/winter.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 09:27:27 AM »
This might be the time I actually go to this for more than a single day...but then again, it's not one I've always enjoyed...however, w/cons getting cancelled left and right...might scratch the itch...

Same here.

After going last year for one(1) day, I had pretty much decided I wasn't going in 2020.  Now I"m not sure, but if they cancel, the point will be moot.  ;)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 10:37:15 PM »
javitscenter Construction of our historic expansion project has resumed! We’re adding 1.2 million square feet of total space to the convention center, and we’re proud to salute all of the workers on the job site today. These state-of-the-art spaces will prove more critical than ever as event planners look for larger spaces to hold new events with social distancing requirements. Thanks to Empire State Development, @lendlease, @turner_nyc and @tvsdesign. We’re all in this together. #expandyourexperience #applepride #javitsexpands #newyork #nyc #newyorktough

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2020, 12:17:30 AM »
javitscenter Our expansion project is 75% completed! Thanks to more than the 600 construction workers now on site, the 1.2 million square feet of state-of-the-art space on Manhattan’s West Side is almost ready – and comes at a perfect time when our industry needs more space to accommodate new social distancing protocols and create a safer environment for everyone! With thanks to @lendlease, @turner_nyc @tvsdesign and Empire State Development

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2020, 01:19:04 PM »
javitscenter We’re continuing to sanitize every corner of our convention center as part of our preparation for future events. Making sure our employees and customers are safe and comfortable is our top priority.