Author Topic: NYCC October 5-8, 2017  (Read 25434 times)

Offline NYRider

• Hall H
  • Liked: 185
Re: NYCC October 5-8, 2017
« Reply #105 on: August 29, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »
Screen Rant is giving away free 4-day Sidekick Passes to NYCC

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2017, 11:30:25 AM »

Hey #NYCC fans! Our Event Director @armstrongmike is doing an AMA today from 3-5pm ET over at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login . See ya there!

edit: some questions and responses

Funko

Funko stated on their blog that they will not allow lining up at their booths before the time slots for their giveaways. They also said this last year and were unable to prevent it. What steps are being taken to better organize the line for Funko this year?

Response

We're always in very close contact with the folks at Funko and they were the first exhibitor to let us guinea pig the pre-show lottery on them. We do whatever we can to 'shoo' people away before those times.

[—]jvdrummer182 1 point 9 hours ago

Previous years, the NYCC team organized a line downstairs in the queue hall. Will this "pre-line" also be done this year?

Response

There won't be a Funko line downstairs. That's only the main stage and entry to the show floor.

passes

With construction going on till 2021. Are there any plans on bringing back 4 and 3 day passes before then?

Response

No, I don't think we'll be seeing 3 or 4 day passes back.

Because of the construction we had to lessen the amount of people who could be in the show per day and we wanted to give everyone a shot at getting tickets for a day that they wanted.

future

What can fans expect in the future for NYCC?

Response

More venues, more content verticals, better content, more fun, more blisters.

[—]AdamOutspoken 2 points 9 hours ago

I love everything except for that last little section. Regardless, can't wait to see what's to come! See you on the 7th! :)

events

Hi, Mike. Noticed a number of great panels require an additional fee to attend this year. I know what you've said in the past is that this allows more people to attend NYCC-sanctioned events beyond those with badges, but it makes it tough for those who already paid for badges--especially now that the multi-day badges are gone--to justify paying (often times, a lot) to see this additional content. Can these events simply be wrapped into the regular programming moving forward?

Response

Great question, thanks.

We try to offset any separately paid event with some sort of presence at Javits so that even if you can't swing the separately paid tickets, you can still see them at the show. It doesn't always happen due to scheduling but we're trying!

streaming

Are you planning to live stream the panels?

Response

Yes, select theaters will be streamed. We'll also have our live stage on the main show floor and we'll be streaming content from there all weekend.

transportation

Can there be more free transportation to and from Javitz / MSG? It is quite far of a walk and hard to make it back and forth to things in a timely manner unless you pay for a cab.

Response

We had shuttles last year but we had the lowest ridership that we've ever had. With the addition of the subway stop they aren't used much anymore by people coming from hotels.

We'll look back into shuttles in the future as the show gets even more spread out.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 10:14:11 PM by SamTurtledove »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 06:46:03 AM »

Offline SamTurtledove

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2003
« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2017, 06:56:27 PM »

Going to #NYCC this year? Check out our brand new NYCC Ultimate Fan Guide - it's full of important info & tips: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  :)

9. Activate Your Badge and Tap it Around the Show

Activate your badge: Before you get to the show you will want to activate your NYCC badge so that it uniquely identifies you. Badge Activation is required. Badge Activation is there to protect you so that if you lose your badge, or it gets stolen by a villain, we can replace it for you. (Although, we do charge for replacement badges so we recommend that you hold onto yours as tightly as possible.)

Tap your badge to save your place for Main Stage panels: This year, half of the seats in the Main Stage presented by AT&T were available through a pre-show lottery so that fans were able to know before they got onsite if they could get into panels they wanted to see. For the other half of the seats, you'll be required to tap your badge in the morning in the Queue Hall in 1C to reserve your spot. That panel will be coded into your badge and when you arrive back in the Queue Hall prior to that panel, you will tap your badge again for entry. Our super smart system will know that your spot is reserved.

Have your best NYCC ever with NYCC XP: NYCC XP presented by DIRECTV NOW is a brand new addition to 2017 to help create a better experience for you, the fans! Activating NYCC XP will help you collect cool content from our exhibitors and partners, share your favorite NYCC experiences on social media and win awesome prizes. It’s the key to making this your best and most memorable New York Comic Con yet.

Introducing: NYCC XP

Three Digital

NYCC 2017 APP: Pre-show & Onsite

• Add panels, screenings, and events to your schedule
  • Favorite exhibitor, guests, and artists you want to see
  • Navigate the Show Floor and find the easiest way to get to the offsite venues with our maps
  • Opt into push notifications to receive important last-minute changes and news

LIVESTORY & XP PAGE: Making Memories

• LIVESTORY is a personalized timeline with content from the panels you attended and what you saw around the show. Make sure you have Bluetooth® and location services enabled!
  • XP PAGE is a custom page that hosts your photos, videos, gifs, and other fun interactions with XP Prize Towers and photo ops. Once your NYCC Badge is activated, the RFID chip in your badge will be directly linked to your own custom website.
  • You'll be able to share all of this content on social!

NYCC LINES: Up-to-date on the Wait

• Follow @NYCCLines on Twitter (feed available in our app!)
  • Stay updated when a panel, signing or event still has room left or if it becomes full

Three Tangible

PRIZE TOWERS: Win Cool Stuff

• Tap your badge at DIRECTV NOW Prize Towers all around NYCC for a chance to win awesome prizes like Amazon Echoes, tickets to NYCC Presents Epic Rap Battles, or apparel from UNIQLO

PHOTO KIOSKS: Picture This

• Photos you take at our special photo booths are a sure way to create unforgettable memories. Kiosks are located at the Hudson Mercantile, The Theater at Madison Square Garden, DIRECTV NOW Booth #522, Chevy in the North Concourse, IFC Booth #312, and Stargate in Hall 1B
  • Photos are added to your personal XP Page and are available for you to share with friends

FOMO? NO MO'!

• Tap to reserve your seat for a panel at the Main Stage presented by AT&T
  • Add yourself to virtual standby lines for exhibitor exclusives and cool activations throughout the show
  • Once you've tapped for an exhibitor exclusive, you're free to leave and see the rest of the show. You'll receive a text message when it's your turn to head back to the booth.

All Amazing!

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #108 on: September 29, 2017, 03:34:39 PM »
 Did anyone get their lottery choices?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
Off to New York.
« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2017, 11:09:54 AM »
At 12:30PT, my JetBlue Flight 514 leaves Long Beach to arrive at JFK tonight at 9pm ET.  While I am in New York, I will be at New York Comic Con, where hopefully I'll have photo ops with Felicity Jones ("Rogue One: A Star Wars Story") and Billie Piper ("Dr. Who") as well as get together with my San Diego Comic Con friends, as well as old friends I haven't seen in years.  Plus on Tuesday afternoon I will attend a taping of "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" and next Tuesday morning a taping of the ABC prime-time game show "Match Game" with Alec Baldwin.  At the same time, I'm sending plenty of positive thoughts to the victims and survivors of the victims of that horrific event in Las Vegas last night as they will be on my mind throughout my trip.  This morning I watched President Trump on TV give a very moving speech as he addressed the nation.
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline Computer Gary

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 12
Re: Off to New York.
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2017, 07:30:40 PM »
a taping of the ABC prime-time game show "Match Game" with Alec Baldwin.

I saw a taping last year.  It hasn't aired yet, and I wonder if it will.  You're probably aware that today's Match Game is more, uh, raunchier than the Gene Rayburn version - but in the taping I saw, a contestant gave a sexual answer that rhymes with "mum," Alec Baldwin immediately dropped to the floor, and they stopped tape for a few minutes.  To my surprise, they did not reshoot the question and have the contestant give a different answer.  (I don't remember the question, but the answer was appropriate in the context of the question.)

I don't know how familiar with going to TV tapings, but you're going to need a lot of patience.  You'll be spending a LOT of time standing on line.  And get there early - they do overbook and it's possible that you might get shut out.  That happened to me, but they offered us priority tickets for another taping later that afternoon (which I accepted), or for another date.

Offline Andrew Costa Mesa

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 829
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2017, 08:10:46 PM »
Believe me Gary, I know ALL about TV tapings!  I've gone to TV tapings since 1974 when I was in fourth grade!  I know that tickets exceed seat capacity.  I always get there two hours early.  And yes I'm familiar with standing in line.  Earlier today I went to see Stephen Colbert.

So Alec Baldwin's show is raunchier than Gene Rayburn's???  GOOD!  Sounds like my kind of show!  And yes I know what rhymes with "mum!"

Twice in 1977 I did attend two tapings of Gene Rayburn's show when I was visiting L.A. for the summer.  And yes I also saw Brett, Charles and Richard.

The TV taping I went to see in 1974 was "The $10,000 Pyramid" with Dick Clark.  I got to shake Soupy Sales hand after the show.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:12:58 PM by Andrew Costa Mesa »
WizardWorld Comic Con Anaheim 2011
WonderCon 2013-2018 & 2023-2024
NYCC 2014-2017 & 2022-2023
SDCC 2011 (Saturday only), 2012, 2013 (Thursday, Saturday & Sunday only), 2014-2019, 2022 & 2023 (Fri-Sun only), 2024
D23 Expo 2017
OZ Comic Con Sydney (Australia) 2016
WizardWorld Los Angeles 2019

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 494
« Reply #112 on: October 04, 2017, 09:32:45 AM »
I just saw that there will be metal detectors this year.  :o I wonder how that's going to affect the lines.
Author/Editor at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Twitter: @jamiesugah

Offline zuko3984

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 110
« Reply #113 on: October 04, 2017, 01:54:59 PM »
I just saw that there will be metal detectors this year.  :o I wonder how that's going to affect the lines.

I think they had metal detectors last year. I'm pretty sure I remember them. Not a fan really. I just feel like all it does is slow down the lines to get in. SDCC had no metal detectors or bag checks this year and everything was fine. I just think with an event where people are constantantly coming and going is pretty much a waste of time. If you do it in a way where it has any real meaning you will end up with super long lines and super long waits to get in. And if you do it the way it is usually done at these type of events which is quick and careless it's a total waste of time since it is super easy to still get anything one would want to get in.

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2017, 03:23:17 PM »
I do not remember metal detectors last year. Huh. Of course I only came through the regular entrance one day, the other days I went through the press entrance. Maybe that's why.

Offline zuko3984

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 110
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2017, 05:19:51 PM »
I do not remember metal detectors last year. Huh. Of course I only came through the regular entrance one day, the other days I went through the press entrance. Maybe that's why.

I thought they had them last year but i could be remembering wrong. Sometimes i don't remember what i had for lunch so it wouldn't surprise me if i was wrong about something from a year ago.

Offline jamiesugah

• Hall H
    • The Geekiary
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2017, 05:36:32 PM »
I thought they had them last year but i could be remembering wrong. Sometimes i don't remember what i had for lunch so it wouldn't surprise me if i was wrong about something from a year ago.

I'm totally the same way! Like, I don't remember it but I could be wrong, I don't know.

Offline debster

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 569
« Reply #117 on: October 30, 2017, 04:36:20 PM »
Interview with Mike Armstrong about this year's NYCC :

NYCC 2017 Sells 200k Tickets, Discussing Five-Day Expansion
By Chris Arrant, Editor
October 30, 2017 09:29am ET

The 2017 New York Comic Con had 200,000 paid visitors over the course of four days earlier this month, beating out the previous year by 20,000 - and they're already planning for more with next year's from October 4 to 7, 2018.

With NYCC behind us (and ReedPOP having taken some time to recuperate), Newsarama spoke with the company's Event Director Mike Armstrong about this year's convention - which has soundly become the largest of its kind in North America.

Newsarama: Mike, how was 2017 New York Comic Con for you - professionally and personally?

Mike Armstrong: This was my eigth NYCC and it's amazing to think of how far the show has come since 2010. It wasn't that long ago that we were selling tickets on-site. Our show floor changed every year because of construction in our main hall. This year on Saturday I took a walk with our Event Manager, Kristina Rogers, and went to see Madison Square Garden and the Hammerstein. Seeing people in costume and wearing badges and making the same walk really put things into perspective. It wasn't that long ago that we could barely fill Javits and now we are really taking over the whole city.

Nrama: You’ve said elsewhere that 200,000 tickets were sold for this year’s event, but that isn't necessarily the attendance due to their only being one-day passes. Do you have any kind of judgement yet on the number of unique people who came to NYCC?

Armstrong: Sorry Chris I don't have those numbers just yet. We have always measured our attendance based on number of unique tickets sold.

Nrama: However you slice it, 200,000 tickets is up tremendously from 2016's reported 180,000 tickets. To what would you attribute that near 10% jump?

Armstrong: I think it speaks to our ability to program content for a diverse set of fans. We've also worked very hard to work with partners and sponsors to create immersive experiences on the show floor and our fan base has really responded to that.

Nrama: Talking with people who were there, and the number one issue seemed to be the continued construction at the Javits and the hope - someday - to use the entire center in a larger capacity. What do you know about the Javits construction timeline, and when NYCC might be able to do more at the center?

Armstrong: We expect to have the new Javits building in 2021. With that new space and the continued development of the Hudson Yards area, we are set up well for continued growth within the immediate Javits area.

Nrama: I'm also told of severe lines in the bathrooms, attributed by some to cosplayers using it to change rather than the cosplay room ReedPOP set aside. Can you address that situation at all?

Armstrong: We have a dedicated Cosplay changing room, but we either need to add another one or expand our current room. I love NYCC because of the incredible cosplay but we need to do a better job of accommodating them and everyone else around them.

Nrama: Next to the cosplay room this year was a Quiet Room - an excellent but possibly overlooked addition to the con. How did this go this year, and do you plan on bringing it back next year?

Armstrong: Yes, that will definitely be back. It's something that we saw at our PAX events and we thought it would be a great addition to NYCC. We already have them at Emerald City Comic Con and we will be looking to add to C2E2 and our new launch in Philadelphia, Keystone Comic Con.

Nrama: I was told the Artists Alley was exceptionally hot. Can you address that at all, and if it'll be in the same space next year?

Armstrong: Yes — the combination of a rare hot weekend in October plus the number of people experiencing Artist Alley led to some overworked A/C. We’re exploring a couple of different options for next year to make things a lot more comfortable in Artist Alley.

Nrama: Going back to tickets, this is the second year of doing fan-verification profiles. How is that working out now since it's no longer new?

Armstrong: It's definitely helped us keep down the number of professional resellers who have access to our tickets. We made some improvements to the process this year that made the fan experience much smoother.

Nrama: A common question is the decision not to do encompassing four-day passes. Any plans to revisit that decision, or things possibly being done to mitigate that - or is this just the way it is going forward?

Armstrong: I don't see us revisiting the decision in the immediate future. With the construction, we are forced to have fewer people in the building and the single day ticket structure gives more opportunity to fans to get tickets.

Nrama: This is the seventh year NYCC has been four days for the general public - has there been any talk at all of a fifth day, or a preview night like Comic-Con International: San Diego has done?

Armstrong: We're already talking about exploring new content and experiences that can be available on either Wednesday or Monday.

Nrama: I spoke with Lance the morning of the first day about security, in light of strengthened security with an outside security firm mentioning part of it was in light of the Las Vegas shooting. I know you don't normally speak too much about security, but can you talk about what goes into deciding what to do?

Armstrong: We work with local, state and national agencies to develop our security plans. We had planned on beefed up security even before the tragic events in Las Vegas. I'm really proud to work with the NYPD and the Javits security team on this event. They're both incredible partners and equally as committed to a safe and fun event as we are.

Nrama: New York Comic Con 2018 is a long way off - but what's the first step for you two in planning that?

Armstrong: We are already digging into our post show research to see what worked and what didn't. Our first step will be to make any changes we feel necessary (we already know of a few) and then start to build on that.

Nrama: Have you decided on guests, or anything at this point?

Armstrong: We've got ideas, sure, but we will spend the next few weeks reading or research, holding focus groups and talking to fans in an effort to create the event that they want. We'll be back in Columbus Day weekend as usual!