Author Topic: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)  (Read 24356 times)

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
Re: Poll: The Status of SDCC 2021 (In Light of the Pandemic)
« Reply #240 on: May 21, 2021, 01:25:34 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
3. “Indoor venues with 5,000 or more people should implement a similar verification. However, at these indoor events, non-vaccinated people who don't show a negative COVID-19 test result shouldn't enter, the state recommends.”

Without the force of law and criminal penalties I don't see how that's going to happen.  Even with the threat of that, a large fraction of the population ignores mask mandates.  Here's an example of that.

Being private property Costco can set any requirement for entry that it wants.  Yet people feel entitled to enter.  SDCC has the same control over who can enter comic-con.  But what are the chances of them being able to do so?  The easiest way would be to make vaccination a requirement to purchase or win or be issued a badge.  That would be problematic.  In the US, it's a piece of cardboard.  Someone would have to verify each card and it would be easy to send in a photoshopped image of one.  Other countries have their own methods to prove vaccination that SDCC would have to support.

The other way is the honor system.  Are people who have shown they aren't willing to follow covid safety recommendations going follow this?  I don't think so.  Imagine the epic scenes that would happen at the door if they are challenged.  It would be very un-comic-con like.  I've worked doors before.  I was told that if people insist on entry even though their badge tags red, let them in.  Comic-con is about having fun.

Without the government and law enforcement providing cover, I don't think any convention will take it upon themselves to do it.  Companies have already conceded that point.  Just look at how many large retailers have dropped any mask requirement.  Even though it's against CDC recommendations.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #241 on: May 23, 2021, 11:28:28 AM »
In terms of making vaccination a requirement of badge purchase, I think that's an idea worth exploring. I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that vaccinations can be verified electronically. I was sent a code by email. It doesn't solve the immediate problem of all the current badge holders that were promised the rollover for 2022. Does SDCC just say the rules have changed? I'm guessing that most of us got vaccinations, but there's very little chance that everybody did. It would make a hell of an incentive to get it done though.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #242 on: Today at 02:12:02 AM »

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #242 on: May 24, 2021, 08:40:03 AM »
Without the force of law and criminal penalties I don't see how that's going to happen.  Even with the threat of that, a large fraction of the population ignores mask mandates.  Here's an example of that.

Being private property Costco can set any requirement for entry that it wants.  Yet people feel entitled to enter.  SDCC has the same control over who can enter comic-con.  But what are the chances of them being able to do so?  The easiest way would be to make vaccination a requirement to purchase or win or be issued a badge.  That would be problematic.  In the US, it's a piece of cardboard.  Someone would have to verify each card and it would be easy to send in a photoshopped image of one.  Other countries have their own methods to prove vaccination that SDCC would have to support.

The other way is the honor system.  Are people who have shown they aren't willing to follow covid safety recommendations going follow this?  I don't think so.  Imagine the epic scenes that would happen at the door if they are challenged.  It would be very un-comic-con like.  I've worked doors before.  I was told that if people insist on entry even though their badge tags red, let them in.  Comic-con is about having fun.

Without the government and law enforcement providing cover, I don't think any convention will take it upon themselves to do it.  Companies have already conceded that point.  Just look at how many large retailers have dropped any mask requirement.  Even though it's against CDC recommendations.
To be blunt, many municipalities were not enforcing state mask mandates: some flat-out publicly said (from summer 2020 through winter 2021, mind you, when we were at our worst) they would not enforce easy-to-enforce things like mask mandates.  There were businesses that did get fined that broke the mandates, but there were plenty that did not.

I agree that anything CDPH/CA gov. "recommends" is toothless and for all intents and purposes meaningless.  Right now CA is in a good spot, where maybe this _IS_ an OK approach for most things: we won't know until it's all over (meaning, we'll know if there is a surge this was too quick, and if there is nothing major by, say, Thanksgiving we'll know this was the right approach - but we won't know likely for quite a bit after-the-fact).  At this point, short of businesses & high-profile/attended events requiring vaccines (which many will bulk at until 1) the vaccine is officially approved for non-emergency use, which is why state gov. officials are not requiring it in CA yet and/or 2) until it is in easy-to-get wide-release for for all ages) I don't think much will change.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #243 on: May 24, 2021, 08:41:39 AM »
In terms of making vaccination a requirement of badge purchase, I think that's an idea worth exploring. I could be wrong, but it is my understanding that vaccinations can be verified electronically. I was sent a code by email. It doesn't solve the immediate problem of all the current badge holders that were promised the rollover for 2022. Does SDCC just say the rules have changed? I'm guessing that most of us got vaccinations, but there's very little chance that everybody did. It would make a hell of an incentive to get it done though.
This is a great idea, but I've gotten the impression that in most of the world the vaccine is not as accessible as it has been in the US (even in Canada I've heard it's been hard to come by for many young adults in good health).  Maybe by summer 2022 this will change

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #244 on: May 31, 2021, 09:30:02 PM »
Petco had two large, for the pandemic, concerts this last weekend.  Both with about 7,000 people.  They had separate seating areas for the vaccinated and the non-vaccinated.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #245 on: June 01, 2021, 05:51:41 AM »
Petco had two large, for the pandemic, concerts this last weekend.  Both with about 7,000 people.  They had separate seating areas for the vaccinated and the non-vaccinated.

How did they determine who was vaccinated.
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #246 on: June 01, 2021, 08:27:19 AM »
RFID scan.  :D

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #247 on: June 01, 2021, 10:51:04 AM »
For Padres games at least, until the June 15th week where the state opens back up/lifts mandates Petco requires furnishing either the vaccination card to get into the vaccination only section, or proof of a negative COVID test from within 48 hours of the game.  There are separate entrances for the vaccinated vs general seating areas