Author Topic: Blood Donation at Omni Hotel  (Read 6929 times)

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
Blood Donation at Omni Hotel
« on: June 02, 2013, 08:29:03 PM »
Hey all,

I know most people are looking for offsite events in the form of parties, meetups and special exhibits, but if you have the time, are perfectly healthy and are of legal age, I highly recommend signing up for the annual Comic Con Blood Drive.  Currently you can sign up directly with the San Diego Blood Bank.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Just search for dates corresponding to Comic Con and click on the mobile location which is at the Omni Hotel, across from the Convention Center and next to Petco Park.  A lot of the slots are free right now but will get filled up as we get closer to the event.  They usually pass out free swag such as a large Warner bag (for you bag collectors, this allows you to grab two), trade paperbacks provided by various companies, a shirt and other goodies (one year, I got a Star Trek figure, another I got True Blood bandages).  Plus you get entered for a raffle for more free stuff up in the Sails Pavilion.  But don't do this for swag, do this because our hospital system needs a healthy supply of blood for transfusions, surgeries and other emergencies.  Also to feed our vampire overlords.  Anyways, just realized this is coming up in about a month and a half.  Getting pumped now! 

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 738
Re: Blood Donation at Omni Hotel
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 09:17:27 PM »
Great advice!

I donate each year and some of the people that work there get into the spirit and dress up too. True Blood usually sponsors the T-shirts (I don't watch the show, one of the 14 in the world) so I give the shirt to my niece.

There was a group of zombies giving blood and I asked if I could take a photo. They said yes. Minutes later, one of them on the bed said forget it, she couldn't handle it before they even started. The other went through with the donation and we sat next to each other drinking juice and eating Nutter Butters. Next thing you know, she passed out. So, memo to all of you zombies, skip the blood donation. ;)      Everyone else, take some time out to donate. It's a good thing!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 02:05:26 AM »

Offline EnglishmanInSanDiego

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 120
Blood Donation at Omni Hotel
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 01:46:49 AM »
I'm a huge admirer of anyone that gives blood - it's a resource that is severely undervalued and, if you do it, you're directly saving lives. Which makes it more frustrating for me as I've undergone chemo in the past and therefore excluded from giving blood. [pissed off face] If your get the chance to take part in any of the blood drives at Con this year, you'll get every thumbs up in the world from me.

You let The Man get you down, The Man wins - I say, Damn The Man.
"I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."
Don't let The Man get you down; you do that and The Man wins. I say, Damn The Man. "I cannot lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

Offline dogberry

• Gaming Lounge
  • Stories are worth dying for.
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 07:14:16 AM »
he other went through with the donation and we sat next to each other drinking juice and eating Nutter Butters. Next thing you know, she passed out. So, memo to all of you zombies, skip the blood donation. ;)

HahahHAHA! Actually that happened to me as well - I once jumped into a blood drive without thinking and ended up smashing my face on the table pretty hard when I got knocked out. The walk home was incredibly trippy afterwards. Much later I would learn that I have very low blood pressure (which explains the sudden fainting), but all the same, to all those who plan on donating, please do so with a full stomach and stay hydrated!

Edit: I decided to add this link because it's actually very useful for first-time donors, and so very true!

« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 07:16:39 AM by dogberry »

Offline Nancy

• Gaming Lounge
    • Quiet Superstitions
  • Liked: 57
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 10:09:17 PM »

Thank you for the information regarding this - it's definitely on my list, just hope the time I've picked is a
good one considering all the things that seem to pop up over the weekend.

And that link is fantastic - never given blood before, so it's given me a lot of tips on what to do and what to
avoid before and afterwards :)

Selfishly, I just like the idea of giving blood surrounded by cosplayers, zombies, and general awesomeness!

Offline jdb728

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 03:54:26 AM »
Every year I've been to CCI as an attendee, I've done the blood drive. It's always a fun experience, just sometimes it takes 20 minutes or so to get to chair and needle in th arm.
Just out of curiosity: if one schedules through that link, would that person still be entered into the raffle in the sails pavilion?
See you at SDCCI.
Thanks.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 05:32:32 PM »
Every year I've been to CCI as an attendee, I've done the blood drive. It's always a fun experience, just sometimes it takes 20 minutes or so to get to chair and needle in th arm.
Just out of curiosity: if one schedules through that link, would that person still be entered into the raffle in the sails pavilion?

Yes, at the end of the donation process, they give you your swag bag and your ticket for the raffle. They don't care how you got your appointment, be it on their website, through CCI or a walk in.

Offline DragonJuls

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 07:22:29 PM »
Does anybody know if anybody donated plasma instead of whole
Blood last year?  I'm signed up but being AB+, I try to only donate plasma or platelets when possible.

Offline Miss Kitty

• Pre-Registration
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 09:37:10 PM »
Blood last year?  I'm signed up but being AB+, I try to only donate plasma or platelets when possible.

I would give the San Diego Blood Bank a call.

Offline Vapors

• Ballroom 20
  • 1999-current
  • Liked: 268
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 12:05:42 AM »

I don't seem to recall them having plasma stations. Mainly, they would probably want to only concentrate on one type of procedure and equipment required.

Offline DragonJuls

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 03:54:39 AM »
I don't seem to recall them having plasma stations. Mainly, they would probably want to only concentrate on one type of procedure and equipment required.

It depends. Our blood bank here in VA will bring double red machines and started to bring the machine for plasma when they have blood drives at the Washington Capitals practice facility and the Washington Nationals.

I will give them a call. They would rather have my plasma since they would be wasting my red blood cells.

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 05:50:51 PM »
Definitely doing this - thanks for posting the info.

Offline jdb728

• Exhibit Hall
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 10:48:32 AM »
Does anyone know if you can donate on a day in which you don't have a badge for?
I only have Thursday and Sunday badges and would likely prefer to do this on Friday or Saturday since as is I'll only have the two days to do the stuff in the Convention Center.
See you at SDCCI.
Thanks.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »
You don't need a badge to donate. It's not actually part of SDCC.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 08:49:07 AM »

You can be a part of this year's Robert A. Heinlein Blood Drive. The Blood Drive is open from 9:00 am—6:00 PM Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and 10:00 AM—3:30 PM on Sunday. The Blood Drive is located inside the Omni Hotel, in the OMNI BALLROOM CDE (on the 4th floor) across the street from the Convention Center at the Fifth Avenue door. If you’re registering onsite at Comic-Con, please go to the Blood Drive booth near the Freebie Table in the Sails Pavilion, upstairs at the Convention Center.

Each donor will receive a goodie bag,. In addition, HBO will be providing True Blood t-shirts, rubber bracelets, bandages and water for donors.

People who give blood are also entered into daily drawings for fantastic prizes, which are donated by Comic-Con exhibitors. Winners are posted at the Blood Drive sign-up booth at 6:30 PM each day (4:00 PM on Sunday) in the Sails Pavilion.