Author Topic: How far away from SDCC have you stayed?  (Read 9760 times)

Offline sisustylegirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 55
Re: How far away from SDCC have you stayed?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2017, 07:10:02 AM »
The furthest we have stayed is by the airport.  Which wasn't bad, it was a little too far for quick runs back to your room, but it was a quick shuttle ride to and from the Con.  We were first off and last on, so that was nice. 

Otherwise we are downtowners.  You do get spoiled.....

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2017, 03:40:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last year I chatted with a guy who lived near San Francisco and had just decided to fly back and forth each day. I'm guessing that's on the extreme side. I've stayed as far away as Encinitas, but only for 2 days.

I guess it'd be cool just to be able to say he did, but flying in and out every day sounds neither cost effective nor time effective. I could see it working for someone who only goes for one day, or maybe two non-consecutive days. The flight itself is about 1:20, and he has to be at the airport an hour before the flight so that's 2:20 blocked off each way...and that's not including the time it takes to travel from his house to SFO, or from SAN to the convention center. Traveling from North County takes less time than that. I also don't think I've ever seen a SFO/SJC/OAK to SAN in July for under $150, and rarely for much under $200. That's still cheaper than a downtown hotel, but on par with a MV one and definitely more expensive than something in North County.

Traveling from SAN to the convention center alone would probably be a wash vs the non-downtown hotels as far as time goes, but for price...there is no shuttle or light rail so he'd have to pay extra for Uber/Lyft/Taxi.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 03:43:05 PM by hikanteki »
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 04:40:40 AM »

Offline sinester_1

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2017, 08:44:33 PM »
this year i'll be 17mins from SDCC and is the farthest I've been in 30 years

Offline citizenmilton

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 11:53:20 AM »
One year I stayed at a hotel that was a 15 minute walk away from the Old Town Transit Center. It wasn't one of the 'official' hotels, and it was back in 2008 and getting a room wasn't nearly as competitive as it is now.

Also, one year, I stayed at Mission Valley.

This year, if I can't manage a hotel downtown, I think I'll try for the unofficial one near Old Town again. The buses to & from Mission Valley are such a drag and a huge time-waster. Getting to the hotel late at night would be a challenge, but in the mornings, we can take the trolley into the convention center easily.

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2017, 11:58:51 AM »
I stayed at the Best Western Seven Seas on hotel circle in Mission Valley. It was very basic but I liked it. Travel Planners let us upgrade to a suite so the privacy of a separate bedroom was nice. They had an outdoor pool, a little diner type restaurant that also did room service, and laundry facilities. The room had a mini fridge. This location technically was not on the shuttle route, but the Days Inn next door was so it made no difference. I would recommend it to anyone who does not have their heart set on downtown. :)

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2017, 03:01:45 PM »
I guess it'd be cool just to be able to say he did, but flying in and out every day sounds neither cost effective nor time effective. I could see it working for someone who only goes for one day, or maybe two non-consecutive days. The flight itself is about 1:20, and he has to be at the airport an hour before the flight so that's 2:20 blocked off each way...and that's not including the time it takes to travel from his house to SFO, or from SAN to the convention center. Traveling from North County takes less time than that. I also don't think I've ever seen a SFO/SJC/OAK to SAN in July for under $150, and rarely for much under $200. That's still cheaper than a downtown hotel, but on par with a MV one and definitely more expensive than something in North County.

Traveling from SAN to the convention center alone would probably be a wash vs the non-downtown hotels as far as time goes, but for price...there is no shuttle or light rail so he'd have to pay extra for Uber/Lyft/Taxi.

I don't remember how many days he was doing it, but I know some business "road warrior" types that do a similar commute by plane several days a week, so maybe it was just something he was used to. The idea of taking back suitcases of swag every day is pretty appealing, but I think I'd rather just drive, stay, and load up the car.

Encinitas was definitely pushing the limit for me. The Coaster train is nice, and it was nice once you got to Encinitas, such a great little town, but the time sink got me. It was great for my family though since they did Legoland for those 2 days.

Offline susanml10881

• Hall H
  • Liked: 152
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2017, 08:18:25 AM »
I reserved an Air BnB rental in the Pacific Beach area and was wondering if anyone here knows if that is a good area to stay in?  IF we get badges in Open Reg, this will be our first time at SDCC (we're from NC) and have no clue what the safest, nicest areas are around SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PB isn't bad. But it's kind of a party / bar area so expect noise and drunks. Local residents complain about that. I used to live nearby. Parking is usually bad but if you have reserved parking (if you are driving or renting a car) you should be fine. But yeah there isn't a trolley stop nearby - closest is old town.

Offline otterpop

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2017, 08:06:43 PM »
Last year (1st year attending) I stayed at a B&B at Coronado.  Great place to be but it was way too hard to get back and forth either by bus or ferry.

Offline tehlilone

• Ballroom 20
  • It's pronounced "the lil one" ^_^
  • Liked: 185
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2017, 09:23:39 AM »
When I was little we lived in Vista (on the 78 next to Oceanside) so we'd drive down every morning. Commute is usually 45 min - 1 hour. During college we drove from Irvine (Orange County) and that's about 1.5 to 2 hours. My parents moved to Hemet (30 min inland from Temecula in Riverside County) and that's also about 1.5 to 2 hours.

We were used to the commute though since we did it pretty often.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline frostywontons

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 17
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2017, 12:13:29 PM »
Furthest was Town & Country. Too far and felt it was too pricey considering the distance and room (felt very aged). Lucked out following year and stayed at the Marriot Marquis Marina. That was an unbelievable experience. My first choice every year. Last year I settled for the Sofia, which wasn't too bad. A nice 10-15min walk with shuttle service if you're lazy/tired. Hoping this year I'll get lucky with any of the places under 3 blocks of the Con. I

Offline CHEYS671Guam

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2017, 07:50:56 AM »
On our first year (2013), we stayed in Candlewood Suites in Mission Valley. We got it for pretty cheap! But, the commute killed us (we're from an island, lol!). We were pretty noob so when I got confused with the shuttle schedule, we took the trolley to Town and Country. The walk was killer! The following year, we were able to get our first choice - Marriott M&M. It was soooo nice, although we spent most night sleeping in line for Hall-H. Lol!

We took a break but we're returning this year. Made a reservation for Town and Country, but we'll see how the hotel lottery goes this year.  8)

Offline vwphibs

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 07:08:56 PM »
I've only done Air BnB in the Point Loma area for under $100. I pick the spots that have separate entrances and nothing shared so I have my own little private space and I don't bother anyone with my coming and goings. It's maybe a 10min drive.

Offline JennyP

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2017, 05:18:32 PM »
My first year, I commuted from Long Beach and I will never do that again. The next year, I stayed with friends in Carlsbad and it was a better commute. Ever since, I've been lucky with a downtown hotel. I'm hoping it'll stay that way.

Offline joyful_314

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 82
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2017, 05:24:44 PM »
The first year I went, I camped in Chula Vista lol

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2017, 05:34:58 PM »
The first year I went, I camped in Chula Vista lol
My first year as part of the hotel process, a long time ago in a galaxy far away, I was given a hotel (I no longer remember the name) where I walked a mile to get to the bus that took me to the trolley that got me to the convention center. Everything has seemed easy after that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk