Author Topic: Costume weapon question  (Read 8286 times)

Online semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
Costume weapon question
« on: May 16, 2017, 02:04:13 PM »
So, I've read and re-read the costume weapons policy for 2016 (with the understanding that it might still be changed or updated for 2017), and I have a question. I've cosplayed for years at the Con but I've never had a costume where the weapon was an important part of it before.

I'm planning on bringing the Buffy Slayer scythe replica and creating a harness for it so that it's worn on my back and doesn't really protrude more than an inch or two past my body on any side. The replica itself is heavy but not sharp and I'm totally willing to zip-tie it into the harness so that it can't be removed (to comply with the "swords must not be able to be drawn" section of the policy, even though it's not a sword).

My question is for anyone who has cosplayed SDCC with a weapon before: do you think this will be a problem?

And secondly - do you have to get cleared and tagged by security each day? Or could I go to the inspection desk Thursday, get the weapon tagged and myself wristbanded, and then wear the harness and weapon Saturday as well without getting re-inspected?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

2016 weapons policy here for reference: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
Re: Costume weapon question
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 04:57:03 PM »
Interesting questions! 

I read through the guidelines and am of no help.  And my daughter is now bummed about her Wonder Woman sword and says she won't bother to make one for me (Hippolyta).

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 08:17:26 AM »

Online semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 05:23:58 PM »
@TardisMom Oh no! FWIW, I'm pretty sure the rules only apply inside the Convention Center and satellite programming rooms like Indigo, so she could still have the sword out for pictures out front or on the Marina or wherever. I was planning to 'wield' the scythe to get some cool pictures outside.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 07:45:42 PM »
Yes, we'll see how far she gets on all the props.  I imagine the "outside time" will be more fun, anyway :).  Looking forward to seeing your outfit and props!

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 10:05:03 PM »
Probably won't be a problem but they were really strict last year and wanted to tie everything down.

Online semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2017, 10:20:15 PM »
[member=4294]foxbatkllr[/member] Thanks! I'm okay with them tying it down, I just want to be as sure as possible it will be okay since it's a major part of the costume.

Do you know if the tag/wristbands are day-specific? I always have way more time on Thursday than any other day so I'd like to get it out of the way if I can.

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2017, 10:25:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
[member=4294]foxbatkllr[/member] Thanks! I'm okay with them tying it down, I just want to be as sure as possible it will be okay since it's a major part of the costume.

Do you know if the tag/wristbands are day-specific? I always have way more time on Thursday than any other day so I'd like to get it out of the way if I can.

I think you only need to be tagged once but I only wear my costumes for one day so maybe I'm wrong.

Online semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2017, 10:29:58 PM »
I think you only need to be tagged once but I only wear my costumes for one day so maybe I'm wrong.

Me too, I usually do a different costume each day (although just street clothes on Sunday), but since Thursdays are often kind of low panel-wise I was thinking of getting it out of the way early. I'll probably just play it by ear... I'll wander by the weapons check and if it's not too busy I'll ask them.

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 04:11:33 PM »

The weapons only need to be tagged/tied down once. They will either put a sticker on it or put a plastic tie on swords so you can't unsheathe them.

A couple of years ago, I had a modified and painted PVC pipe that I carried over my shoulder as part of the costume and they put a sticker on it when they saw me walking around. A security guy walked up to me while I was in Sails and asked, "Did you get that weapon checked?" I responded with, "Weapon? It's not a weapon. It's just a prop." I gave it to him, he looked it over and he put a plastic weapons tie on it.

For one of my other costumes, I used to carry an airsoft pistol that kind of looks like a real firearm. A couple of years ago, security detained me even though I had the stickers on it proving that it had already been checked. After that, I stopped bringing guns as it more trouble than it's worth.

Online semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 04:29:05 PM »
[member=3102]sylent_asassin[/member] Thanks! Mine is obviously a fantasy weapon, so I'm sure I need to get it tagged... but also pretty sure no one actually expects me to do violence with it. I'll try to get it tagged Thursday, but as with anything SDCC-related, it will depend on scheduling and the whims of the Con gods...

Offline sylent_asassin

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2017, 04:37:55 PM »
[member=3102]sylent_asassin[/member] Thanks! Mine is obviously a fantasy weapon, so I'm sure I need to get it tagged... but also pretty sure no one actually expects me to do violence with it. I'll try to get it tagged Thursday, but as with anything SDCC-related, it will depend on scheduling and the whims of the Con gods...

Yeah, I'd advise you to get it checked regardless. If it can be potentially used to poke someone's eye out or to cause blunt force trauma, it's considered a weapon. My PVC pipe was essentially a giant flashlight, but still had to be checked. Better to be safe than detained... like me. lol

Offline thcornwall

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
Issues with toy guns with orange tips
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2017, 05:55:32 AM »
If we have guns that are kids toys, cap guns with no caps, that are clearly toys with the orange tips, are we going to have trouble?  I also have a toy rifle (kid sized) with orange tip that does not use caps or anything and a plastic (3d printer made) climbing pick for my Lara Croft costume.  I'm nervous about my efforts only to be banned...what do you think?

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
Re: Issues with toy guns with orange tips
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2017, 06:56:50 AM »
If we have guns that are kids toys, cap guns with no caps, that are clearly toys with the orange tips, are we going to have trouble?  I also have a toy rifle (kid sized) with orange tip that does not use caps or anything and a plastic (3d printer made) climbing pick for my Lara Croft costume.  I'm nervous about my efforts only to be banned...what do you think?
I would say it's a safe bet they will not allow any realistic guns this year even if they have orange tips.

Offline appaloosafire

• Freebie Table
  • A man of no consequence.
  • Liked: 9
Re: Issues with toy guns with orange tips
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2017, 07:21:40 AM »
Where did they state that? My friend is wanting to bring a prop pistol but I'm not too sure what they would define as not being realistic (bright colors, crazy build, etc)

I would say it's a safe bet they will not allow any realistic guns this year even if they have orange tips.

Offline superkatchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 129
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2017, 07:35:10 AM »
Hopefully SDCC will put out the prop/weapons policy for this year soon! I know a lot of people are trying to plan cosplays and I hate that someone would put a lot of time/money into something that can't be brought into the convention center. I doubt any realistic looking guns will be allowed after the events of this Con season but think a total prop ban would be a bit over the top.  ???