Author Topic: Wondercon 2013 Registration  (Read 42206 times)

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
Re: Wondercon 2013 Registration
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2013, 07:12:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
you're showing your age....

:)  Yeah, probably.  Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go yell at some kids to get off my lawn. 

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2013, 08:34:27 AM »
you're showing your age....

Not that much. This whole mess with ticket buying only began for the 2011 Con. Before that you could pre-purchase a badge easily, and you had a month (or even multiple months) to buy online once they were made available.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 01:19:25 PM »

Yzrfan

Wondercon 2013 Registration
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2013, 08:36:38 AM »
Yes the ticket leap debacle

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2013, 08:42:54 AM »
Yes the ticket leap debacle

That, plus a bunch of other mistakes made by CCI that led to a frenzy on ticket-buying day. The legacy of that is the current frenzy and rapid sellout rates that now exist.

Yzrfan

« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2013, 08:48:26 AM »
And for us die hard, the new added stress of wondering if we will be lucky enough to get badges.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2013, 10:27:52 AM »
And for us die hard, the new added stress of wondering if we will be lucky enough to get badges.

Yep, pretty much.

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2013, 11:37:35 AM »

+1  >:(
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2013, 03:39:38 PM »

Yep.  I remember years of pre-registering on site for like $20 or so, and then the price would get more expensive the closer you got to Comic-Con (before you could buy them online).  There were some years where I would look at those thermometer-looking things on the website and play they, "meh: I'll buy my badge next week"  :P

Offline karatekid

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 149
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2013, 03:47:01 PM »
Yep.  I remember years of pre-registering on site for like $20 or so, and then the price would get more expensive the closer you got to Comic-Con (before you could buy them online).  There were some years where I would look at those thermometer-looking things on the website and play they, "meh: I'll buy my badge next week"  :P

Even in 2010 I pre-registered on site on Thursday or Friday. Walked up to Sails Pavilion, no line, in and out at one of the terminals in the time it takes to scan your badge. I remember I got done and realized I forgot to pre-register my brother in-law for one of the days but instead of going back told myself I'll do it later in the week. No stress. No worries.

What happened to those days? It will turn into one of those ... "I remember when I was your age I walked through 20 miles of snow, in my bare feet to get to school" stories! :-\
"Wax On, Wax Off"

Yzrfan

« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2013, 03:50:17 PM »
In my opinion things changed after the ticket leap debacle and the darn sparkly vampires. I remember the ticket leap year, alot of nerds were mad. Servers kept going down. It seemed like registration took all day.

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2013, 05:21:57 PM »
In my opinion things changed after the ticket leap debacle and the darn sparkly vampires. I remember the ticket leap year, alot of nerds were mad. Servers kept going down. It seemed like registration took all day.

I did the pre-reg thing with ease in 2010 too.

Ticket Leap wasn't the only problem. There were a number of things that led up to the problem.

1)  Preview Night for 2011 sold out at the 2010 Con pre-sales. This meant that the people who had waited for online sales (either because they couldn't go in 2010 or because they hadn't bothered to pre-register) couldn't get Preview Night. This led to some concern, which led to rumors that the other badges would sell fast once the general sale happend.

2)  Instead of just quietly turning on the badge sales as they had done in precious years, CCI made huge announcements about the upcoming date of the badge sale, sending out emails, posting on social media and their website, and even sending out snail mail postcards. There was nearly a months' notice. So the people already upset because Preview Night was gone were now gearing up and getting ready.

3)  The Ticket Leap issues you mention, Yzrfan. The ticket-selling site crashed multiple times (on multiple dates) when CCI tried to sell badges.

All of this combined to create the fastest sellout ever when the 2011 badges finally went on general sale in February 2011. And that's what started all of this frenzy. It's been frenzied ever since, and made worse since there are now no more onsite pre-sales.

IMHO, it had nothing to do with Twilight, or any other property (although I'm willing to admit that the TwiHards camping in line for Hall H began the camping out trend).

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2013, 05:31:26 AM »
ok, I'm torn here, the conversation is great and interesting *but* this is a Wondercon badge thread.

I can split the last few posts off, move it to the SDCC badge area & rename it. This way we can continue talking abt it OR we can return to the WonderCon show...Let me know what you'd like to do
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2013, 12:15:27 PM »
ok, I'm torn here, the conversation is great and interesting *but* this is a Wondercon badge thread.

I can split the last few posts off, move it to the SDCC badge area & rename it. This way we can continue talking abt it OR we can return to the WonderCon show...Let me know what you'd like to do

Yes, mom.....

WonderCon badge buying = easy: woohoo!!

:P :P :P :P

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #118 on: January 24, 2013, 02:09:45 PM »
Yes, mom.....

+1 Like

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #119 on: January 24, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »
ok, that's it, you two are my official pre-teen babysitters for the entire con so I can learn to be less of a mom.

:P :P
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5