Author Topic: Notifications to Text Messaging?  (Read 4417 times)

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
Re: Notifications to Text Messaging?
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2022, 12:51:19 PM »
Agree, but the only reason I'm using O365 is cause Yahoo only allows you to set up forwarding when you pay for their Plus services.  Anyone that has an email service that allows forwarding (I don't know if google/gmail/etc.) with some rules could do this with them as well.  The idea is...
1. Email from FoCC comes in
2. Set up a rule based on the context of the subject (ex. You were tagged!)
3. Forward that email to the cell-email that You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login showed above

I'm just using my O365 subscription cause Yahoo doesn't do the forward.  Others may have luck w/their stuff. Be an interesting test otherwise.
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Online NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2022, 12:58:36 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Agree, but the only reason I'm using O365 is cause Yahoo only allows you to set up forwarding when you pay for their Plus services.  Anyone that has an email service that allows forwarding (I don't know if google/gmail/etc.) with some rules could do this with them as well.  The idea is...
3. Forward that email to the cell-email that You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login showed above

I'm just using my O365 subscription cause Yahoo doesn't do the forward.  Others may have luck w/their stuff. Be an interesting test otherwise.

Oh gotcha, I like this alternative.  Gmail has free forwarding.  I will admit I get more emails than text so it might indicate to me that it's more important, that or I will think my phone company is telling me my bill is due.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 02:24:54 PM »

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2022, 01:16:17 PM »
Further thinking, I'll see if/how I could get something like this on my gmail account since you said forwarding is free.  It looks like there's a filtering capability too.  I'll post here and then folks can validate and use if they wish to or no.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2022, 01:39:35 PM »

You can do this with any email address.  Just have Thunderbird running on a machine somewhere.  Whenever email arrives it can run a filter on it. The filters allow for a variety of actions including forwarding that email to another address.  This is how I've been getting SMS text messages whenever CCI sends an email to me for years.  During comic-con season It's very useful so I can get notified of things like the pre-con shift announcement.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2022, 01:49:03 PM »
You can do this with any email address.  Just have Thunderbird running on a machine somewhere.  Whenever email arrives it can run a filter on it. The filters allow for a variety of actions including forwarding that email to another address.  This is how I've been getting SMS text messages whenever CCI sends an email to me for years.  During comic-con season It's very useful so I can get notified of things like the pre-con shift announcement.
I think to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login point, if we can get this working w/o the need for "extra stuff", and using a mail services' capabilities, it's less of a hassle. Folks that want to go the "extra mile" (like Thunderbird or O365) are more than welcome to do so.  But if we can vet this to work with OOTB capabilities, that's a win.

Offline chocolateshake

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1497
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2022, 03:20:30 PM »
I think to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login point, if we can get this working w/o the need for "extra stuff", and using a mail services' capabilities, it's less of a hassle. Folks that want to go the "extra mile" (like Thunderbird or O365) are more than welcome to do so.  But if we can vet this to work with OOTB capabilities, that's a win.

I get it.  I thought when you said "the only reason I'm using O365 is cause Yahoo only allows you to set up forwarding when you pay for their Plus services", that you meant you were using outlook email because yahoo email does not allow forwarding for free.  Since free outlook email does support forwarding.  But now I know you meant outlook the client and not outlook the email service.

Gmail does have filters that allow for forwarding.  So that will work for this.  The gmail website is just not a portal to gmail the email service, it's basically a full fledged email client.  You can use it as a client for other email services.

I use Thunderbird as my email client anyways.  So for me there's no extra stuff.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2022, 03:42:51 PM »
Yup, and it looks like you can use the Subject field to accommodate the filtering you want, to set up individual filters to focus on specific threads.  This way you don't spam your phone w/text messages.
1 - Create the filter, placing in the subject the text of the thread title that you want to monitor for

2 - Forward it to your phone via the email address scheme earlier in the thread

I'm gonna play a lil more to see if I can clean up the messaging...but it looks like you can use the above to create a filter on the exchange thread using the title of the thread.