Author Topic: Anyone Collect Mondo/Art Prints?  (Read 87171 times)

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
Re: Anyone Collect Mondo/Art Prints?
« Reply #525 on: November 18, 2019, 07:09:03 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've been meaning to ask since I only started collecting this year. Giclees or Screenprints? Does it matter? I like both, but from the research, it seems like Screenprints are worth more because of the process. Giclees seem to be a large high quality photograph.
There is no one right answer.  You can have crappy screen prints that aren't worth the paper they are on and you can have high quality giclees that are worth hundreds of thousands.  The art / artist / quality is what you need.  Nice art can be done oil on canvas....it can also be made of discarded trash.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #526 on: November 19, 2019, 07:55:34 AM »
I've been meaning to ask since I only started collecting this year. Giclees or Screenprints? Does it matter? I like both, but from the research, it seems like Screenprints are worth more because of the process. Giclees seem to be a large high quality photograph.

Here's a nice write up of printing techniques and some of the various codes you might encounter.

Places like Mondo mainly do screen printing, but you will see some giclees, usually for smaller, more photorealistic things.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #527 on: Today at 04:00:52 PM »

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 103
« Reply #527 on: November 19, 2019, 10:06:19 AM »
Here's a nice write up of printing techniques and some of the various codes you might encounter.

Places like Mondo mainly do screen printing, but you will see some giclees, usually for smaller, more photorealistic things.

Thanks for the link. I read this when I first started collecting in October and that's why I asked if screenprints are worth more because of the process. From the different artist sites like Daniel Danger, I've only seen a maximum number of 15 different colors in the screenprinting process and the videos I've seen it's much more labor intensive especially if you're layering different colors on top of each other. Also from the videos I've watched online, I haven't seen a machine do any of the layering, but I guess it could be automated as well? It seems it's normally manually done with people.

Giclees are high quality digital photos on different grade papers. These are like going to the photomat to get physical copies of your digital pictures. I only asked because if giclee's are high quality digital prints, how valuable is it if a machine is printing them like a photocopy, with only the artist proofing the colors? Theoretically you could go to an art printer and hand them the digital image and ask them to print more with their inkjet printer. I feel like the process of creating the print should be factored when deciding if they are worth more. I guess I'm trying to minimize my purchases, but also maximize my private collection in value, but I guess that is also a personal preference. What's valuable to one person's eyes may not be as valuable to another.

I have noticed that giclees are generally priced lower than screenprints, but not by much.

I really like these 2 articles You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Handle for most social media & gaming accounts: @Xircuits

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #528 on: November 19, 2019, 11:40:30 AM »
Mondo had a Struzan Dark Tower poster at SDCC that had 22 colors. It was that one year where they did pre-orders, I balked at the price and have regretted it ever since. Absolutely gorgeous poster.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #529 on: November 19, 2019, 11:54:41 AM »
I've come across two extra prints of these. anyone interested ? pm me

and
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #530 on: November 19, 2019, 12:28:57 PM »
Theoretically you could go to an art printer and hand them the digital image and ask them to print more with their inkjet printer.

If you had access to the original file (at 300 DPI or higher), sure. Artists generally don't release full resolution files, what you'll get if you take a digital image from the internet at 72 DPI to a printer will be printed out as a big blurry mess.

I feel like the process of creating the print should be factored when deciding if they are worth more.

Giclee printing can be just as (if not) more expensive than screenprinting. Large format printers that places like Static Medium use cost upwards of 10k.

I guess I'm trying to minimize my purchases, but also maximize my private collection in value, but I guess that is also a personal preference. What's valuable to one person's eyes may not be as valuable to another.

If you want to maximize value, I'd look into buying originals. And even when you do that, its a risk because of what you mentioned. Pop culture prints generally top out at about $400 (and its rare they even make it up that high), with a handful of rarities from the past going for more. It's really tough to try to create value in franchise/licensed from Mondo/Pop Culture prints - I think you just gotta buy what you like.

Especially now, I think the market value of prints is at an all time low.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 12:33:39 PM by rickythump »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #531 on: November 19, 2019, 02:01:01 PM »
I think you just gotta buy what you like.
*yes*
you'll never be unhappy buying a print if you can say 'i want to frame that and stare at it on my wall for 6 months'

that's my gateway rational for buying a print.
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #532 on: November 19, 2019, 07:15:18 PM »
[member=4102]rickythump[/member]  Thank you to everyone who responded and provided knowledge and input. I am learning. :-) I have looked on Ebay for prints and I've seen a few that are priced at very high prices that I just cannot afford even though they are incredibly beautiful, but they mostly hover at the price mentioned, roughly up to $400. One such print is The Invisible Man by Francesco Francavilla. I think it's going for something like $500 ---he had an artist proof on his official website during his Halloween sale for roughly that same price. Maybe one of these days...

[member=4270]mark[/member] I wonder how thick the Dark Tower poster is if it had 22 layers! Does it become a 3D poster at that point?

[member=1]alyssa[/member] Everyone here is right, of the prints I have purchased so far, I haven't been unhappy regardless of what kind of print it was. It's been a long time since I've felt truly giddy with joy from NYCC, but this year coming home with all those prints has made me very happy. Until recently, I didn't realize how numb I felt, so these have sort of slapped me in the face and woken me up. LOL.

I wonder how long will it be before we see these prints on the Antique Roadshow. Haha!  On with the search!   :D

Offline stl_ben

• Hall H
    • dailyvinyl.net
  • Liked: 443
« Reply #533 on: November 20, 2019, 07:33:03 AM »
You do see vintage screen prints on antiques roadshow occasionally, mainly stuff like old concert posters.
Look at artist like James Jean / Banksy / Gondek - Their Giclees often cost $300 and up.
James Jean actually just sold this one last week:

It cost $3,000 and was limited to 50 copies.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #534 on: November 25, 2019, 01:17:56 PM »
Mondo Flat File sale this Friday..

Looks like posters will/may be priced at secondary market/eBay prices though, heads up.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (see price)

Offline Xircuits

• Room 6BCF
« Reply #535 on: November 25, 2019, 10:16:48 PM »
Mondo Flat File sale this Friday..

Looks like posters will/may be priced at secondary market/eBay prices though, heads up.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (see price)

Does Mondo have Black Friday sales every year? From the reaction on Twitter, it seems like it's quite rare. I have 1 that I really want, but these disappear in the blink of an eye, so I'm very worried. Also, I'm away from my home on Black Friday, so it's going to be extra tough trying to buy it in a Starbucks. XD

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #536 on: November 26, 2019, 08:40:31 AM »
Does Mondo have Black Friday sales every year? From the reaction on Twitter, it seems like it's quite rare. I have 1 that I really want, but these disappear in the blink of an eye, so I'm very worried. Also, I'm away from my home on Black Friday, so it's going to be extra tough trying to buy it in a Starbucks. XD

They haven't had an online Flat File sale like this for two years.

It will certainly be a tough sale to get anything - the site opens and has a ton of posters you have to flip through, and by the time you find something you were looking for it will probably be sold out, especially if you are using mobile. Might be easier to just enjoy the holiday and not add any drop-stress to your weekend ;)

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #537 on: November 26, 2019, 09:22:10 AM »
I've never been able to grab anything in this sale, so I'll try but not get too caught up in it, (at least that's what I'm telling myself :) ) I was looking through the older posters last night, in addition to Olly Moss, I only noticed the whack pricing on some Tyler Stout posters, might be some others. Even for Moss, things like his Miyazaki movie posters seemed normal.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #538 on: November 26, 2019, 09:31:10 AM »
If you go to Posters > Out of Stock > Sort by Price (High to Low), some interesting stuff pops up. Lots of LD with higher price points (The Master, The Birds, etc), the Kastel Shark is 400/300, some Stouts, etc.

I imagine some grails will be priced higher than normal but the majority will be normal price.. maybe? They advertised the sale as having over 1200 prints, I can't imagine they'll go through and raise everything to market rate.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #539 on: November 26, 2019, 10:26:54 AM »
Oh wow, you're right. I had just gone through some artists so I could grab some urls for Friday. Some of the ones that are priced up are signed.