Author Topic: Cosplay chat  (Read 95493 times)

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
Cosplay chat
« on: November 04, 2015, 09:16:40 AM »
got ideas for next season?
starting a build?

I'll start it off with this vid from a Halloween costume
for those folks looking for a cosplay look
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: Cosplay chat
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:42:59 AM »
Alyssa, are you going to get a cosplay going for yourself? *poke*

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 05:32:00 AM »

Offline dcuodust

• Hall H
  • To me, my board!
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 10:43:16 AM »
I was toying with the idea of Magneto, Old Snake from MGS IV, or the blue Fallout uniform. Maybe Captain Phasma - I think that would be a progressive choice :)
What are you, Worf? Do you tremble and quake with fear at the approach of combat? Hoping to talk your way out of a fight like a Human? Or do you hear the cry of the warrior, calling you to battle, calling you to glory like a Klingon?
- Gowron, Chancellor of the Klingon High Council

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2015, 01:33:06 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Alyssa, are you going to get a cosplay going for yourself? *poke*
i need to get an idea of where my weight is before i can plan- it'd have to be something casual & comfortable
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2015, 01:40:40 PM »
I confess that I've always wanted to cosplay, but I never have the time to make a costume.  (I'm old-fashioned; it has to be made by me, ha ha.  Plus, it would be cheaper that way than having it commissioned by another.)  ^__^;  Next year probably won't be the year, but who knows?  Maybe it will happen in the future, ha ha.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 01:43:21 PM »
i need to get an idea of where my weight is before i can plan- it'd have to be something casual & comfortable

You can still do a general plan. Get inspired and find costumes that you would feel comfortable wearing. If you want to do 'everyday clothes' then a character from Walking Dead or Mr. Robot or some similar property would work. You can also find costumes that are comfy and not restrictive, such as Jedi uniforms, Starfleet uniforms, etc. Another possibility is to find themed clothing that is comfy for you, such as a Tardis dress.

You could also go for a character who already bears some physical resemblance to you, which makes it easier. For example, my daughter (who has blonde hair and wears glasses) is very big on *comfortable* cosplay, and we're tossing around the idea of a Kara Danvers costume for her, since she already looks the part, and would just have to wear some kind of recognizable outfit (possibly with an open front and the S t-shirt underneath). My husband (who looks a lot like Neil Patrick Harris, except that he wears glasses) decided to try out Dr. Horrible as his first 'real' cosplay because of his resemblance to the character.

Hmmm.... I think you look like Maggie Green (from TWD)... You have exactly the right facial shape and hair!

Zero, you don't always have to 'make' a costume. I am a big believe in 'closet cosplay', which is putting together off the rack items in a combination that creates a costume. That's how we did my son's Draco Malfoy costume: bought the robe and tie from the Harry Potter store, then just got a generic white shirt and black pants. Add in his physical resemblance to young Draco and voila! Instant costume! It's still his best costume, and he's had quite a few.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 01:45:24 PM by Transmute Jun »

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
  • By what right does the wolf judge the lion?
    • FoCC Blog Articles - mlgagne
  • Liked: 882
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 09:15:36 AM »
I'm already working on my new cosplay ideas, since I have all of the days for this year  >:D I'm still planning to do my Cersei, of course - that was SO much fun this year! I'll probably dress as her on Friday again, assuming that that's the day of the GOT panel and signing.

I'm also in the VERY beginning stages of gathering parts for this (potential spoilers for GOT fans who haven't read the books):
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I've started gathering clothing items to do Maggie from TWD as well. If my sister goes with me this year, I suggested that she dress as Carol, because she has short hair that she can chalk or something to get Carol's color...and she gives off the "mess with me, and you'll wish you hadn't" vibe  ;D

For Maggie, I'm probably going to attempt this look:

Hmmm.... I think you look like Maggie Green (from TWD)... You have exactly the right facial shape and hair!

OMG, Alyssa, if you go as Maggie, we can be twins!  :D All we have to do is wear our lanyards, and we'll be super easy to spot at the con  ;)
SDCC: 2015 | 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019
WonderCon: 2017 | 2018 | 2019
NYCC: 2012 | 2014 | 2015 | 2016
Walker Stalker Con: 2015 (San Diego) | 2017 (Atlanta)

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 09:31:59 AM »
I was Agent Carter for Halloween, so I will probably just try to improve it a little (maybe remake the blouse, I wasn't happy with the darts, and also I didn't hem the skirt well, but I think I can fix it) and wear that one day.

I've done Margaery Tyrell two years in a row now, and I want to do her again, but I always like to do the current season so I have to wait until it airs.

I'm still looking for at least one more but I'm torn between a few options.

My husband never cosplays at the Con, which is too bad, because he made a surprisingly good Daredevil at Halloween.

Offline retired

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1048
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 09:33:40 AM »
I've always wanted to cosplay but never followed through with it (wanted to do the exo suit thing).

but I got a 40% off email from holloweenstore.com and jumped on the Wampa costume they had. Expensive, but it looks cool and i dont have to make anything. It is kinda boring though, so im going to spice it up a bit and turn my wampa into Ku-Kak. The force-sensitive wampa slave. He wears his slave owners Crossed Rancor Claw and red circle emblems. and uses a Sith Sword as a weapon.

Trying to get the sword ready for Dec 17th. Not sure this is the best costume for the middle of summer though...

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 02:16:19 PM »
OMG, Alyssa, if you go as Maggie, we can be twins!  :D All we have to do is wear our lanyards, and we'll be super easy to spot at the con  ;)

And I have a Carol costume, so we can be double Maggie + Carol! ;)

Semigeek girl, at NYCC Natalie Dormer said that her clothes for this season were rather horrible (meaning sacks and such) because she is in prison. I don't think waiting for this season will help with a Marjorie costume... ;)

Go Jopair! I would love to see your wampa costume!

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 02:25:07 PM »

Semigeek girl, at NYCC Natalie Dormer said that her clothes for this season were rather horrible (meaning sacks and such) because she is in prison. I don't think waiting for this season will help with a Marjorie costume... ;)

I know! :( All the leaked shots from Watcher on the Wall are sacks so far. I'm just hoping they get her out by the end of the season, maybe, for one dress. But we'll see. Maybe Melisandre will wear something pretty this season.

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 03:11:52 PM »
And I have a Carol costume, so we can be double Maggie + Carol! ;)

Yes!!! Haha, if that happens, I'm going to be constantly on the lookout for our lookalikes with FoCC lanyards  ;D

I know! :( All the leaked shots from Watcher on the Wall are sacks so far. I'm just hoping they get her out by the end of the season, maybe, for one dress. But we'll see. Maybe Melisandre will wear something pretty this season.

Boo, sacks  :( Before that, I was always been a big fan of Margaery's dresses! Melisandre usually has something interesting to wear, though. But if you go that route, make sure that you're a big fan of red  ;)

Offline JoAngel20

• Freebie Table
  • Nothing lasts forever...
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2015, 11:18:36 PM »
I'm cosplaying for the first time this year and I'm crazy excited! I've been watching a lot of videos from cons and its amazing what people are able to create. Just gotta actually get a badge first lol. 
"Thank you for your cooperation"

Offline mlgagne

• Supporter
  • Fulfillment Room
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 02:59:58 PM »
I'm also in the VERY beginning stages of gathering parts for this (potential spoilers for GOT fans who haven't read the books):

I just received my wig for this in the mail today. It kind of mirrors this look, but in a silver grey color:

Clearly, my excitement level has become a bit too high, considering that it's only December!

Offline Transmute Jun

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2015, 06:36:38 AM »
Not at all! A good cosplay takes months of preparation!