Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293429 times)

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« on: July 25, 2016, 06:34:06 PM »
Let's get this party started! It is never too early to plan.

I myself have re-booked Hotel Z as a backup (they bumped the rates this year-looks like they figured a few things out!)

I saw the Pendry location while out and about-it looks like a great location.

2016 Interactive Map link (will be replaced if 2017 map is made):
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 09:46:56 AM by Angology »
Ang

Offline Az_Rael

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 106
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 10:36:12 PM »
Yikes - they did raise the rates.   I can't justify $500 a night for them, so I will pass this year.   

We will have to stalk the Pendry's website.   See if we can catch a deal for next year when that opens for reservations.   

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:58:18 AM »

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
  • Formally When Nerds Attack
    • You Fancy Me Mad
  • Liked: 538
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 06:00:50 AM »
I booked Hotel Z as well but didn't find their rates horrible. It's an average of $324 a night for us in a double queen. We have a few nights at $199 (pre-con) and the nights of SDCC are $399.

Offline Az_Rael

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 06:19:31 AM »
I guess I missed out, because they are showing $447/night for a King room now for me.   

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 06:30:32 AM »
I guess I missed out, because they are showing $447/night for a King room now for me.   

I had to call to get my dates too. Not sure that will help or not! But worth a try.

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 09:54:48 AM »
It was the same for me, but not all nights were 447-it was the average (I know-same thing, but I am trying to look on the bright side!). It may be that they caught on that it was SDCC weekend (dirty rats!). It was a nice enough experience for me that I will keep it as my back up. I will try harder this year to get a con rate hotel though.

If you call in and get a better rate, let me know.

I did see it as a little cheaper during con, but didn't take the time to book. Thinking back-I could have just gone downstairs and booked! Doh! I guess I was kind of busy.
Ang

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 09:57:51 AM »
I booked while SDCC was still going on, so not sure if the timing played a role in the rates too or what. But there's 4 of us sharing the room so it's not that bad per person. We might still try the lottery when it rolls around.

Honestly, I've been watching their site like a hawk. It was weird though online. I could book the dates OF the convention, but not the days leading up or after. That's why I called them. We always do a week when we go.

Offline Dianekde

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 10:12:19 AM »
Yikes - they did raise the rates.   I can't justify $500 a night for them, so I will pass this year.   

We will have to stalk the Pendry's website.   See if we can catch a deal for next year when that opens for reservations.

Regarding the Pendry, I asked the reservation person at the hotel I stayed at if they knew if the Pendry would be an official Comic Con hotel and they said "yes".

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2016, 10:30:11 AM »
Regarding the Pendry, I asked the reservation person at the hotel I stayed at if they knew if the Pendry would be an official Comic Con hotel and they said "yes".

A few people from the board met with the Pendry right? Wonder how that went.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 09:50:49 PM »
Went ahead and booked a King Suite with Hotel Z, they didn't have any double-kings or queens left so I just went with it. We always try for the Bayfront/MMM in the hotel lottery though because they're our top choice. Of course, it is a bit more expensive but I suppose they've figured out the dates as well. As a back-up, I'll take it. I was able to give my Hotel Z back-up from this year to someone on the forum (though it got swapped around a bit) so that was good at least.

Of note, I know someone at MGH was charged for an extra person due to a glitch in the OP system and it seems they were able to take care of it. Something I've never noticed before is that if you're an HHonors member you get a second guest for free, so not extra head charge, and we were only charged the triple rate and not a quad rate at the Bayfront. So yay? And maybe something to keep in mind for anyone that wants to do the lotto but is worried about pricing for next year.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 08:28:58 AM »
I decided not to book the Hotel Z king suite because usually my group consists of 5+ so a king would not be enough for all of us. Hopefully some more hotel deals pop up soon because so far this is more of the Hotel Z discussion thread, LOL.  ;D
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 08:49:02 AM »
I decided not to book the Hotel Z king suite because usually my group consists of 5+ so a king would not be enough for all of us. Hopefully some more hotel deals pop up soon because so far this is more of the Hotel Z discussion thread, LOL.  ;D

The Hotel Z King Suites all have a pull out sofa bed. It's the regular Z King rooms that don't. It's the only reason I went ahead and booked one after verifying that they do.

The Z King Suite ADA specifies it in the little info blurb, but the non ADA equivalent doesn't for whatever reason. You have to go into the room type pages to see though that the Z King Suites have 1 King + 1 sofa-bed. If you're lucky, you may be able to snag one of their double suites (2 beds + 1 sofa bed), but you might have to call to see if they're already all gone or if they're just holding them.

Edited for clarity in room type names.

Edit 2: Looks like the prices have gone up again. Maybe it works a bit based off demand? Or someone has noticed.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 09:17:15 AM by Iris_aya »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline YouThinkMeMad

• Volunteer HQ
    • You Fancy Me Mad
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 08:56:09 AM »

I think the Bay Club Hotel on Shelter Island will be opening soon for next year, or should be now. Wouldn't hurt for a back up.

Offline battlestar81

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 11:38:54 AM »
Wyndham Bayside you can hold a room now. I have done this the past few years holding a 2 bed room with them as my backup as you can cancel right before the trip if need be and the hotel is only just under a mile away from the convention center. Yes it is a bit of a walk but better than being stuck in hotel circle or further back! Then if I get in good on the hotel lottery I just cancel it or offer it up to someone on the forums.

Offline Az_Rael

• Gaming Lounge
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 01:47:17 PM »
Wyndham Bayside you can hold a room now. I have done this the past few years holding a 2 bed room with them as my backup as you can cancel right before the trip if need be and the hotel is only just under a mile away from the convention center. Yes it is a bit of a walk but better than being stuck in hotel circle or further back! Then if I get in good on the hotel lottery I just cancel it or offer it up to someone on the forums.

Thanks!  I reserved a room.   After the debacle that was the lottery this year, I am going to really pay attention to backup options.