Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293405 times)

Offline highgiant

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 83
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2016, 12:15:18 PM »
I just booked Quality Inn San Diego Downtown North as a back up for next year. Googlemaps says its a 30 minute walk to the convention centre. Seems just about doable. Free cancellation until next year so I can change my mind still if it turns out its not.

Any one stay there before? it's not under any of the reviews (that i could see any way).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:22:29 PM by highgiant »

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2016, 03:58:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just booked Quality Inn San Diego Downtown North as a back up for next year. Googlemaps says its a 30 minute walk to the convention centre. Seems just about doable. Free cancellation until next year so I can change my mind still if it turns out its not.

Any one stay there before? it's not under any of the reviews (that i could see any way).

Maybe check out tripadvisor.com if there's no reviews here? I find the reviews there pretty good. Plus people upload their own photos of rooms so you can see reality rather than photoshoot photos.
Do these tacos taste funny to you?

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #32 on: Today at 03:09:41 AM »

Offline Brenmc22

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2016, 11:05:34 AM »
A few options for downtown hotels on this site

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2016, 11:55:06 AM »
A few options for downtown hotels on this site

In case anyone is tempted to book these, I'm not saying don't, but do your due diligence first...

Offline Brenmc22

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2016, 12:16:24 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. Seemed to good to be true.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2016, 01:12:04 PM »
Thanks for the heads up. Seemed to good to be true.

It was good of you to post what you found. But after some members were burned by using 'less reliable' third party vendors, we've all gotten a lot more cautious. Still, it was worth investigating, so I am glad you pointed it out.

Offline Brenmc22

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2016, 01:29:08 PM »
Thanks.
First time attending. Trying to get hotel accommodations out of the way. Is the only really legit way for booking hotels going to be rolling the dice with the lottery that SDCC sends out? Have there been problems before with these kind of third party sites?

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2016, 01:58:09 PM »
Oh, I've been meaning to tell you guys this, but Hard Rock rooms for that Sunday (7/23) of SDCC went up last week. Good if you hope to bookend your Hotel Sale reservation or just want a taste of the high life that last day.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:19:59 PM by RustyPonds »

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2016, 02:20:46 PM »
Thanks.
First time attending. Trying to get hotel accommodations out of the way. Is the only really legit way for booking hotels going to be rolling the dice with the lottery that SDCC sends out? Have there been problems before with these kind of third party sites?

If you're on a budget, then submitting a request form for CCI and onPeak's hotel reservation lottery is your best bet for a decent room rate per night.

However, there are a few third-party options:

- Directly booking with the hotel itself.  The hotels will charge a very substantial room rate per night (we're talking $900 to $1,000 per night), but the room will be reserved and secured with the hotel for you.

- Looking into condo or AirBnB rentals for the week of Comic-Con.  You'll have to be vigilant with this option, as you need to do your research, contact the condo owner, and ask a lot of questions.  In some cases, if the owner knows that it's the week of Comic-Con, they'll inflate the rental prices, so you need to determine which price range is okay (and not okay) for your finances.

- Trying to book with Booking.com, Priceline, or some other hotel reservation company.  There were some forum members that had a lot of issues and bad experiences with Booking.com in the past.  They made a room reservation with them, but the company could not honor their reservations and the rooms were cancelled.  Long story short, they were refunded the full amount in the end, but it was a stressful time for those who were affected by this, especially if you thought your rooming arrangements were secured.  You'll have to be careful about this, as these companies may do the reservations but they do not have control over the hotel's actual room inventory.  In most cases, they won't send the actual reservation information to the hotel until it's closer to Comic-Con.

I do want to add that there is another option available to forum members of this community.  For CCI and onPeak lottery reservations, some people may end up getting an extra one or they want to swap rooms with another person at a different hotel location.  In this way, we help each other exchange or give away room reservations (again, these rooms are usually from the CCI and onPeak lottery).  It's not a guarantee, as it really depends on the availability of rooms offered by fellow forum members and it's up to the donor on how he or she decides who to give the reservation to, but at least it's a way for us to help each other out in some small way.

Hope that helps a bit.  ^__^d
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:23:18 PM by Zero »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline Brenmc22

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2016, 02:54:47 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.

Now the CCI and onPeak's hotel reservation lottery. Is there a good chance you'll get a room by entering it? Anyway to ballpark a percentage? I'm tempted to book third party or from a hotel, just to have something until the lottery. Especially most third party sites have a windows for cancelling. Can I rely on the lottery though? Don't want to get stuck losing a room that i booked online or paying triple what the lottery would have been.

When I search hotels like Hyatt downtown, SD and other establishments. I find most of them don't have rooms listed until the last Sunday. A few are only offering like suites for around $1,200 a night. Anyone know of a site that has guaranteed rooms and rate somewhere $300 - $400?

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2016, 03:21:57 PM »
Can I rely on the lottery though?...Anyone know of a site that has guaranteed rooms and rate somewhere $300 - $400?

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2016, 03:24:01 PM »
But for real, it sounds like the safest bet for you might be to do the Early Bird sale. Non-refundable, but the least amount of stress and most all options are on the free shuttle route. If you really want Downtown, then you have to risk the lottery or spend big $$.

Offline Brenmc22

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2016, 03:35:25 PM »
"Early Bird sale" is this something through SDCC? Or I basically gotta just bite the bullet on these inflated rates for downtown or walking distance? When is the lottery usually?

Offline Transmute Jun

• Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2016, 05:12:53 PM »
"Early Bird sale" is this something through SDCC? Or I basically gotta just bite the bullet on these inflated rates for downtown or walking distance? When is the lottery usually?

Yes. If you are willing to stay in Mission Valley (or another out-of-downtown area) then the Early Bird Sale is the best way to get the cheapest rate. You get to select your room without all of the lottery fuss, and the hotels usually throw in some small perk (such as free parking or internet). This is offered by CCI through OnPeak (the hotel booking service they use) and is completely legit.

Offline Brenmc22

• Sails Pavilion
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2016, 05:41:46 PM »
Thanks for the help.

When is the Early Bird Sale usually? in your exp is the lottery to much of a gamble?