Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293482 times)

Offline NoOtherOptions!

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 144
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2017, 01:01:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thank you for all of that information [member=5612]Kmd2103[/member] , [member=1291]semigeekgirl[/member] and [member=5598]NoOtherOptions![/member] It looks like i will need to practice my typing skills over the next few months  ;)

Honestly I wouldn't worry, I had friends fill out after me that got better hotels and one's before me that got nothing.  Just make sure you know where you want to stay.

Offline Blubutterfly505

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 247
« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2017, 01:04:29 PM »
Honestly I wouldn't worry, I had friends fill out after me that got better hotels and one's before me that got nothing.  Just make sure you know where you want to stay.

Im making a list and checking it twice  ;)

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #92 on: Today at 07:30:55 PM »

Offline dolphina

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Live Long and Prosper
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2017, 01:09:19 PM »
looks like hotel registration date is incorrect

Darn, I just submitted my request for that day off and now I have to wonder, is it really that date and CCI (for whatever reason) doesn't want the date released or is it really going to be a different date  ???
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it is by no means the most interesting”

Wondercon, SDCC, Comikazi, Blizzcon, SWCA, D23

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2017, 01:33:47 PM »
looks like hotel registration date is incorrect

This is sort of disappointing, since official SDCC information is always nice, but also (assuming the date really is different) very helpful for me since I have class that I can't really skip during that time ;D).

Offline SoCalNerdGal

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 125
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2017, 01:35:14 PM »
Darn, I just submitted my request for that day off and now I have to wonder, is it really that date and CCI (for whatever reason) doesn't want the date released or is it really going to be a different date  ???
The dates this year are sort of stressing me out. I think it's just having returning reg be new and then, have it so close to the holidays and likely bumped up to open reg within a month. It just seems like a lot to process when we normally get an extra few months for the same string of events.  Hotel sale makes me nervous after last year.  It's just so out of our hands.  It's a lot of money to invest for a potentially random outcome.

Offline nedoeht3705

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2017, 01:36:45 PM »
my guess is it's either correct but they're just being silly and want to officially announce it themselves or it's moved back to the Tuesday

Offline BadWolf

• Volunteer HQ
  • It's all the same to the many faced god.
  • Liked: 691
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2017, 01:54:05 PM »
I never understood why the dates are secret. The badges are going to sell out no matter what. So why the mystery? For press?

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2017, 02:13:03 PM »
I never understood why the dates are secret. The badges are going to sell out no matter what. So why the mystery? For press?

I think it's just their antiquated way of communicating. And since they have a captive audience, they can just do their own thing. What, are we not going to attend/follow it obsessively?

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2017, 02:44:10 PM »
*throws hands up in air* WELP.  Ok then.  Guess that happened.

Offline sisustylegirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 55
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2017, 03:00:46 PM »
I'm starting to freak out about dates.  I just got airfare covered by my company and would love to solidify hotel and badges.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2017, 03:22:17 PM »
I'm starting to freak out about dates.  I just got airfare covered by my company and would love to solidify hotel and badges.

Wouldn't we all! Unfortunately, CCI likes to keep us hanging....  :'(

Offline sisustylegirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 55
« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2017, 03:31:04 PM »
Wouldn't we all! Unfortunately, CCI likes to keep us hanging....  :'(

I think I am just excited because my company is flying me to LA for work on the 17-19 and agreed to fly me home on a redeye Sunday out of San Diego.  My boss was totally cool about it and I am getting a free plane ride to SDCC!!!

Now if I can only convince them to cover my hotel room too.....

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2017, 03:34:34 PM »
I always thought they kept it secret in case they have to move the date.    They know months in advance when sales will be. 
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Blubutterfly505

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 247
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2017, 07:56:15 PM »
There was never any official description, at least none that I saw. We did collect enough data form the forum to have a pretty good idea of what the process was, and hopefully this year we can do the same.

I'll summarize, but here's the post from last year and there is a lot of discussion in the 2016 threads.

The most important factor in 2016 was when you were given access to the form, the time it took you to fill out the form did not appear to play as large as a role, if any (we can't be entirely positive.) We don't know to what extent requests that were given access to the form at the same time were further randomized. Your chances of getting one of your top-6 picks dropped quickly based on the time you got to the form, to basically nil after 3 minutes.

They were more aggressive about flagging duplicate requests compared to previous years.

There was no "put me in any downtown hotel if my top 6 are unavailable" option.

The "queue number" that you saw was not global, but rather your place in one of many distinct queues. This caused a lot of confusion.

Even if things work similarly this year, which is a pretty big assumption, I still think it's a good idea to fill out the form as quickly as you safely can. There is always the possibility that things are different this year or that it gets used as a tiebreaker. To put it another way, last year if person A got to the form in the first minute but submitted after person B who got in in the second minute but filled out the form really fast, person A still fared better. What we don't know is if person C and D got the the form at the same time, then did their submission times play a secondary role.

Thank you for the summarization, it saved me having to go back and look at all of the entries from last year.  :)

What I remember and really hated about last years Hotelpocalypse was the fact that so many people didn't get ANY hotel while others were placed in the hotel circle area.  People started freaking out that so many people didn't have a room that they ended up purchasing the hotel stays with no changes or refunds. I know, because my cousin did this.  Then all of a sudden, OnPeak started releasing a crazy amount of hotels including downtown.  I saw Hard Rock, Omni, Marriott, Hilton, Manchester all become available.  I couldn't understand if they had so many of these hotel rooms left, why didn't they take the extra few days and sort threw their information and distribute accordingly before they forced this huge scare...

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2017, 08:21:12 PM »
I couldn't understand if they had so many of these hotel rooms left, why didn't they take the extra few days and sort threw their information and distribute accordingly before they forced this huge scare...

It is possible that they didn't really have all those rooms left. If every group of 4 people have 4 people requesting rooms...then inventory will be taken quickly. But then inventory will free up within a few days when people let go of their reservations.
Do these tacos taste funny to you?