Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293454 times)

Offline Blubutterfly505

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 247
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2017, 08:29:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It is possible that they didn't really have all those rooms left. If every group of 4 people have 4 people requesting rooms...then inventory will be taken quickly. But then inventory will free up within a few days when people let go of their reservations.

True, but i would think that that would be the same case as previous years.  I've never seen so many people on this forum or twitter waitlisted before or have that many rooms become available.

Offline SoCalNerdGal

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 125
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2017, 09:09:56 PM »
True, but i would think that that would be the same case as previous years.  I've never seen so many people on this forum or twitter waitlisted before or have that many rooms become available.
I think it's because it was random last year.  People on here and twitter are probably more likely to be Internet savvy and knew how to quickly submit their form.  I bet a lot of random folks don't even do it the first hour of the sale.  They probably submit whenever they get around to it and suffer through whatever hotel is tossed their way.  This past year, some of the close hotels undoubtedly went to that silent crowd who never share their picks on the net.  They took the spots of those who used to get to the sake early.  I don't really like that approach and I kinda wish they'd go back to early submitters get first choice. I doubt it will gappen, though, since everything seems to be going lottery.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #107 on: Today at 12:58:32 PM »

Offline Blubutterfly505

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 247
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2017, 10:21:10 PM »
I think it's because it was random last year.  People on here and twitter are probably more likely to be Internet savvy and knew how to quickly submit their form.  I bet a lot of random folks don't even do it the first hour of the sale.  They probably submit whenever they get around to it and suffer through whatever hotel is tossed their way.  This past year, some of the close hotels undoubtedly went to that silent crowd who never share their picks on the net.  They took the spots of those who used to get to the sake early.  I don't really like that approach and I kinda wish they'd go back to early submitters get first choice. I doubt it will gappen, though, since everything seems to be going lottery.

Ideally, I wish CCI would give a code to confirmed badge holders only that would allow them into the hotel buying process (even if their chances in line were determined by a lottery). 

I see your point about the silent crowd taking up some of the hotel rooms but it still doesn't explain the number of forum members that were "waitlisted".   I look to people on this forum as being people in the "know". I listen to their advice, I practice on the forms provided and I cross my fingers. I was shocked when so many of our forum members became waitlisted because if we couldn't navigate this system, then who could? And yes, I understand it was the first year as a lottery system, but i think OnPeak still screwed up the processing on their end.

My cousin, who's been attending the con since 2000 and has participated in numerous hotel sales freaked when he became waitlisted (it had never happened to him before) and he felt pressureed to purchase one of those no refunds/changes rooms.  He had already purchased his badges and his airfare.  He figured it was best to have a room then wait for one to become available.   I'm not sure if a lot if people felt the same way as he did, but i became upset for him when so many hotel rooms became available, especially the downtown ones.

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2017, 12:37:20 AM »
As a quick side note and announcement, the forum's SDCC 2017 Room Sharing Thread is open, as promised last week.

Please refer to the first post of the thread linked below for roommate request guidelines and details. 

Please also keep the room sharing thread in mind when you're in need of a few roommates on your road toward Comic-Con 2017.  Don't forget that you can edit your post in that thread to reflect current information or updates for your hotel situation (for example, when you're confirmed for a hotel reservation).

Thank you!

Now back to your regularly scheduled hotel discussion programming.  :]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline omraged9

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 242
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2017, 01:56:57 AM »
I never understood why the dates are secret. The badges are going to sell out no matter what. So why the mystery? For press?

Maybe they genuinely don't know? Is it possible they're still doing tests on the scripts to make sure returning reg runs smoothly this year?

Same with hotel sale. They have to deal with many hotels and negotiate with each one on the room price, etc. Maybe they're not done negotiating yet.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2017, 05:03:32 AM »
Maybe they genuinely don't know? Is it possible they're still doing tests on the scripts to make sure returning reg runs smoothly this year?

Same with hotel sale. They have to deal with many hotels and negotiate with each one on the room price, etc. Maybe they're not done negotiating yet.
That might be true but OnPeak does hotel rooms for ReedPop and I had my hotel room for C2E2 for over a month. It is in late April!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2017, 11:13:15 AM »
Getting popcorn ready for when/if CCI ultimately confirms the "leaked" date with a "we just wanted the scoop."

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2017, 11:27:56 AM »
i think we should consider the possibility that CCI has asked OnPeak to make some changes to their system.  I'm going out on a limb here but...given what happened last year  *and* the current delay in putting WC hotels up for sale, there could be a tech redesign of the OnPeak system-
Maybe a new threshold we need to cross or a verification, i don't know
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline AzT

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2017, 11:34:16 AM »
i think we should consider the possibility that CCI has asked OnPeak to make some changes to their system.  I'm going out on a limb here but...given what happened last year  *and* the current delay in putting WC hotels up for sale, there could be a tech redesign of the OnPeak system-
Maybe a new threshold we need to cross or a verification, i don't know

Highly likely.

And no harm done in saying so -- if in their opinion SDCC Blog got it wrong, then CCI can get ahead of the next wrong "leaked" story now by publicizing accurate information... about their own brand and a huge part of their attendees' experience.

(Gaffes like this bring Leapfrog flashbacks.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 11:40:01 AM by AzT »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2017, 11:42:43 AM »
And no harm done in saying so -- if in their opinion SDCC Blog got it wrong, then CCI can get ahead of the next wrong "leaked" story now by publicizing accurate information... about their own brand and a huge part of their attendees' experience.

i'm not getting anywhere near the quagmire of "when" the event will happen
/slowly backs away/
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2017, 06:32:47 PM »
I really hope they're trying to implement some sort of badge verification process. It's always a tad upsetting to see people on twitter etc. who haven't gotten badges get hotel rooms :/

Edit:

I had a minor freak-out because I couldn't find my Hotel Z King Suite back-up confirmation e-mail. I e-mailed them and they quickly e-mailed me back a confirmation that they still had the reservation and a PDF confirmation.

The reason I bring this up is during my panic I checked their direct site for any reservations in case, they still have King and Queen rooms available to be reserved directly at two price points for each, the lower price-point in nonrefundable and non-cancellable but the higher rate is both (up to 24 hours prior to your stay.) It's still fairly expensive and the rooms only have 1 queen or king bed as the suites are all gone, but as a back-up it might still be a decent option and if you're staying longer, the days outside of con days are much less expensive and could help even things out a bit.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:28:18 PM by Iris_aya »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2017, 08:25:09 PM »
I really hope they're trying to implement some sort of badge verification process. It's always a tad upsetting to see people on twitter etc. who haven't gotten badges get hotel rooms :/

I think by now, we know SDCC isn't just the convention anymore. It's the entire area. But even if we just consider it the convention and only the convention, I still will NEVER be for a badge verification process. I've said this before, and will say it again, not everyone will have their badges by then. I know some have thrown out the idea of a block of hotel rooms saved for volunteers, staff, and the like. That would never work either, since nobody knows how many rooms of which hotels to block off. Then you're making it tougher for volunteers, staff, maybe others from gaining fully access to the lottery. Which is not right.

Until the best solution comes out, allowing everyone access to the lottery is the best system.

Offline NoOtherOptions!

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 144
« Reply #117 on: January 13, 2017, 07:05:45 AM »

Edit:

I had a minor freak-out because I couldn't find my Hotel Z King Suite back-up confirmation e-mail. I e-mailed them and they quickly e-mailed me back a confirmation that they still had the reservation and a PDF confirmation.

The reason I bring this up is during my panic I checked their direct site for any reservations in case, they still have King and Queen rooms available to be reserved directly at two price points for each, the lower price-point in nonrefundable and non-cancellable but the higher rate is both (up to 24 hours prior to your stay.) It's still fairly expensive and the rooms only have 1 queen or king bed as the suites are all gone, but as a back-up it might still be a decent option and if you're staying longer, the days outside of con days are much less expensive and could help even things out a bit.

Look like only the 408 a night rate is available now.  What was the lower rate?

Offline lawboysam

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #118 on: January 13, 2017, 05:21:13 PM »
Highly likely.

Just as a little backstory - that April 6th date was the date that was in onPeak's system, 100%. I confirmed with multiple people (and some of the same people who have gotten it right the last 3 years). So either it was in their system wrong (which, this is onPeak, let's face it, that's a very real possibility) - or CCI decided to change it.

Also, it's worth noting that the vendor hotel sale did change this year. They had to select 3 hotels downtown, and 3 hotels in mid-town, and three in MV, and then rank their teir by most desired. Could we see changes like that for the general sale? Time will tell.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #119 on: January 13, 2017, 05:40:26 PM »
Just as a little backstory - that April 6th date was the date that was in onPeak's system, 100%. I confirmed with multiple people (and some of the same people who have gotten it right the last 3 years). So either it was in their system wrong (which, this is onPeak, let's face it, that's a very real possibility) - or CCI decided to change it.

Also, it's worth noting that the vendor hotel sale did change this year. They had to select 3 hotels downtown, and 3 hotels in mid-town, and three in MV, and then rank their teir by most desired. Could we see changes like that for the general sale? Time will tell.

As always, thanks for the info, [member=550]lawboysam[/member]! Any little bit helps. Considering your accuracy in the past, I have no doubt it was April 6th in the system. Fat finger, or a myriad of other reasons could be for the change. Heck, SDCC could be changing it to spite us all, because the date got leaked. Who knows. (I don't really believe that mind you, just throwing it out there)