Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293442 times)

Offline sisustylegirl

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 55
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #180 on: March 15, 2017, 07:32:12 PM »
I just want to know when hotel sales will be!  I have my badge.  I have my flight.  Now where am I going to stay???????

Offline NyeAngel

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #181 on: March 15, 2017, 08:20:17 PM »
Last year, Hotelpocalyspe scared me because I got in and submitted my form at 12:01 and got my 6th choice! It was crazy. I sure hope they do like returning registration and provide unique codes for Hotel Day.  ???
That Con Life

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #182 on: Today at 10:24:30 AM »

Offline justboogie

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 161
« Reply #182 on: March 16, 2017, 11:08:56 AM »
I think the hotel system last year was terrible and it's still going to be terrible. I remember something about a double random lottery-lottery...basically you were more likely to win the lotto twice over while getting struck by lightning swimming in the ocean with mermaids before ever being able to book a room. Not looking forward to Hotelpocalypse, which is why I've booked a few back up hotels ahead of time at exorbitant prices. The sooner I know if I'm able to get a room, the sooner I can cancel my back up hotels.  :-[
"I have three kids and no money. Why can't I have no kids and three money?"
-Homer Simpson

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #183 on: March 16, 2017, 12:18:59 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think the hotel system last year was terrible and it's still going to be terrible. I remember something about a double random lottery-lottery...basically you were more likely to win the lotto twice over while getting struck by lightning swimming in the ocean with mermaids before ever being able to book a room. Not looking forward to Hotelpocalypse, which is why I've booked a few back up hotels ahead of time at exorbitant prices. The sooner I know if I'm able to get a room, the sooner I can cancel my back up hotels.  :-[

I'm still not clear on if your time stamp was from when you submitted, or when you were randomly chosen to enter.

And then there was the people who were "waitlisted" but then given a choice of booking hotels...that was really strange. Its like, why have the option of being waitlisted for an a hotel option if you are just going to open up all available rooms?

But I guess as long as it doesn't go down like the year where the drop down menu didn't work... :'(

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #184 on: March 16, 2017, 12:20:21 PM »
They have never had a clean hotel lottery, and it wasn't helped last year by the last minute discussion of the 'double lottery'. Hopefully this year they will have worked out those kinks.. but my hopes aren't very high on that, given my past experience.  :(

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #185 on: March 16, 2017, 12:50:01 PM »
They have never had a clean hotel lottery, and it wasn't helped last year by the last minute discussion of the 'double lottery'. Hopefully this year they will have worked out those kinks.. but my hopes aren't very high on that, given my past experience.  :(

Exactly.  I think the final verdict was it was the time you were randomly chosen to enter that determined the order that rooms were allotted.  That was the case for my group, anyway.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #186 on: March 16, 2017, 01:03:20 PM »
Exactly.  I think the final verdict was it was the time you were randomly chosen to enter that determined the order that rooms were allotted.  That was the case for my group, anyway.

Yes, after all the statistical analysis we could muster, we were mostly sure that was the case. Ah, how I hate the Hotel process.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #187 on: March 16, 2017, 02:01:07 PM »
I always thought the previous system of filling out the form the fastest was the best hotel lottery system.  Yes it had kinks too, but as long as you could get the form to load properly, it was never a problem. Lots of people complained, and I just think it made the system worse. The more they tried to "even out" the system, the more catastrophic it has become.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2017, 02:19:25 PM »
I always thought the previous system of filling out the form the fastest was the best hotel lottery system. 

Well, it was definitely a system, but it wasn't one I'd endorse. Spend months waiting for a single moment, hope that you'll refresh at exactly the right second and that your internet speed is both reliable and faster than thousands of others, then take the equivalent of a complicated, high-speed typing test and hit the "submit" button as fast as humanly possible... followed by spending 48-72 hours hoping against hope that you both submitted fast enough and typed all of your information correctly (because some years they sent you a recap of your submission and some years they didn't bother).

I'm not sure the new system they tried out last year is 100% fair, but almost ANYTHING has to be fairer than a system that came down entirely to typing proficiency, your ability to navigate weird dropdown menus, and your internet connection.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2017, 02:51:58 PM »
I'm not sure the new system they tried out last year is 100% fair, but almost ANYTHING has to be fairer than a system that came down entirely to typing proficiency, your ability to navigate weird dropdown menus, and your internet connection.

Well the typing proficiency wasn't an issue. I'm pretty positive you could have made multiple mistakes as long as the hotel picks and email address were correct, you would still get a hotel.

I preferred the previous system because there were less variables/moving parts. Having a waiting room to randomly get you to the form is one extra thing to go wrong. I want to have as little to go wrong as possible.

Offline RighteousRita

• Hall H
  • Liked: 455
« Reply #190 on: March 16, 2017, 03:04:15 PM »
Received an email from the new hotel Pendry. But the blocked the dates for the con.

Offline lilredrubi74

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 141
« Reply #191 on: March 16, 2017, 07:10:42 PM »
Does anyone remember, do you stayed on the waitlist if you give up the hotel that they choose for you? Last year we didn't even make it on to the waitlist, but got the Sofia when it popped up later. I couldn't remember if you  give away the hotel your assigned at first, do you loose your spot if you release, or do you stay on the waitlist.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #192 on: March 17, 2017, 01:03:37 AM »
Does anyone remember, do you stayed on the waitlist if you give up the hotel that they choose for you? Last year we didn't even make it on to the waitlist, but got the Sofia when it popped up later. I couldn't remember if you  give away the hotel your assigned at first, do you loose your spot if you release, or do you stay on the waitlist.

From the Waitlist email last year -

Important things to know:

Deposits: You will need to provide a deposit equal to two nights' room rate plus tax for each reservation at the time of booking. If applicable, refunds for canceled rooms may take up to 10 days to show a credit on your account. Please make sure you have enough funds on your credit card or in your bank account for the multiple deposits before you begin, or use an alternate form of payment.

If you do book a new room during the waitlist process, you will need to cancel your previous reservation that same day. You will need to have the following Information available in order to cancel your old reservation:
onPeak ID numbers from your original and new confirmation emails
The email address(es) associated with those reservations
A phone number where we can reach you if necessary

« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 08:48:09 AM by Jonathan »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #193 on: March 17, 2017, 08:14:13 AM »
Last year we did not book the hotel they gave us in the sale, but they did keep us on the waitlist. Here is the sequence of notifications:

Action Required - Complete Your Hotel Request by Adding Credit Card Details

"Please review the information below regarding your hotel assignment for Comic-Con 2016. You were booked into this hotel because your top six hotel choices were not available. You indicated that you would like to be booked into any available hotel on the shuttle route and have been automatically waitlisted for your top six hotel choices.

A deposit equal to two-night's room rate plus tax must be submitted within 72 hours or your reservation will be cancelled. Deposits can be paid with a credit card by accessing your reservation via the button below. Until your reservation is guaranteed with a deposit, it is subject to cancellation."

etc. Some details will differ depending on your options and how you did in the sale. There was another email like this as they extended the deadline.

Status Change - Your Hotel Request Has Been Released (4/15/2016)

"We did not receive your required deposit by the deadline. This hotel request has been cancelled.

Your requested room has been cancelled and is no longer available. If you still require a room - check back later as rooms may become available closer to the event."

Important Update Regarding Your Waitlist Request for Comic-Con 2016 (5/26/2016) the red text below is my highlighting

Thank you for participating in the hotel reservation request process. You are receiving this email because you requested to be waitlisted. Here are some key items you should know about the waitlist process. For full details, please visit the Comic-Con.org website.

The hotel room waitlist process will begin on Wednesday, June 1st. Please check your email daily for at least 10 business days for an email from Comic-Con 2016 Housing ([email protected]). Guests will only have 48 hours to book a new reservation.
How waitlist priority is determined: Waitlist priority is determined by the same timestamp used when you accessed the housing request form on April 5th.

Important Update Regarding Your Waitlist Request for Comic-Con 2016 (6/8/2016)

"Good News!

During this year’s hotel sale, you requested to be waitlisted. Since then, we have received some cancellations at a few downtown and nearby hotels and we’re giving waitlisted guests first opportunity to these newly available rooms!
Before you get started, here are a couple of things to keep in mind:

Only guests on the waitlist should have access to these rooms. If you share this link or if a room is booked by someone not on the waitlist, the reservation is subject to cancelation with penalties.
    Guests are allowed to book only as many rooms as requested on April 5th.
    A password is required to access the booking website. This password is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
    Guests will have 48 hours to take advantage of this opportunity. Once the 48 hours have expired, access to the website will closed to this group and the next group of waitlisted guests will be emailed.
    All new reservations require a deposit equal to two (2) nights’ room rate plus tax at the time of booking. No exceptions can be made.
    To receive a refund on a previously held reservation, you will need to complete a form to cancel your old reservation on the same date as the new reservation is made. If you fail to cancel or if you give your original room to another guest, both reservations are subject to cancellation with penalties.
        The link to the cancellation form is here.
        Once you've submitted your cancellation request, you will receive a cancellation email within 48 business hours. Your refund will occur within the next 10 business days.
        Note: The original reservation must be part of the Comic-Con Hotel Sale, not the Early Bird Sale. All Early Bird reservations are non-refundable. Please check the Hotel Policies on your confirmation email"

Important Update Regarding Your Waitlist Request for Comic-Con 2016 (6/17/2016)
"The Waitlist Process is Now Complete

Thank you for participating in the hotel reservation request process. You are receiving this email because the waitlist process is now complete.

If you would still like to reserve a hotel room, please visit the booking website. Rooms are limited and are available on a first-come, first-served basis, so act quickly!"

This was last year, so don't know if it will be the same. There was some confusion last year where some hotels would pop up on the booking site despite having been people's wait list choices. One thought was that some hotels had released some blocks of rooms that weren't available during the sale.

Online SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #194 on: March 17, 2017, 08:50:28 AM »
[member=4270]mark[/member] Excellent recap, thanks. 

We can only hope for some consistency during this year's sale, otherwise we will be starting over in the dark again.