Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293474 times)

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #495 on: April 22, 2017, 08:38:07 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Think I found something which is making me revisit my choices...from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You now have the option to request a maximum of six (6) downtown hotels AND a maximum of six (6) non-downtown hotels. You are only required to submit one (1) hotel choice and will have the following options:
- Requesting only downtown hotels.
- Requesting only non-downtown hotels.
- Requesting a mix of both.

This last line tells me that if you pick 6 + 6, there could be a chance where they put you in a non-downtown hotel, even if you picked a downtown hotel that's still available.  I mean ,without text or info that says what happens when you pic both, "mix" to me means they're all lumped together...I dunno...

I think this is a good change. But yeah, it would be good if they said that any downtown choices would be ranked higher for you than non-downtown ones. Pretty much everyone wants to be downtown and I have to think the intention is to give someone a hotel from that list if possible and then go to the other list.  This way you get to choose more hotels overall, but only up to 6 downtown ones (if you just had one list where you could pick 12 some people would choose 12 downtown ones.)

This approach would have helped me in the past, I have never gotten a downtown hotel in the sale, but last year I was overconfident based on my form access time and picked all downtown hotels. Now I can also pick some non-downtown ones that I prefer as well. Of course if you are concerned there are safe options to use. 

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #496 on: April 22, 2017, 08:44:45 AM »
So this is my first time doing the lottery with this waiting room format.

So I guess if I am the last person in line in the waiting room I have no chance to get a hotel room?  Or is there a chance that I'm the first person in line and I still won't get my top choices

For the record, I am coming in on a Tuesday and my roommate and I were thinking of putting down for the high priced rooms, so I am wondering if our chances increase that way.
There was a thread last year where people posted their experiences for the purpose of detecting a pattern.  Maybe you can seek it out.  As I recall, people who got in during the first minute tended to get what they wanted.  Whether that is your top choice could depend on what hotel it is.  There are four or five hotels that are extremely popular.  I got my top choice with two rooms, but it wasn't one of those hotels.  I got in during the first minute.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #497 on: Today at 06:08:59 PM »

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #497 on: April 22, 2017, 09:11:20 AM »
Per CCI Hotel List posting:

"- Hotels in San Diego charge a Transient Occupancy tax of 10.565%, a Tourism Marketing assessment of 2% and parking fees, all
of which are subject to change without notice. Hotel rates are not guaranteed until booked and confirmed. Hotel rates may vary
by number of occupants and other requested services. Comic-Con and onPeak reserve the right to correct any identified errors."

Maybe I am just overlooking this, but does anyone know if the rates shown on the participating hotels list include these taxes/fees?

The prices you see have never included all the taxes and extra fees. It's been like that ever since I could remember. It's just the base cost of the room. Once you add in the taxes, fees, and parking, you're looking at a significantly higher cost.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #498 on: April 22, 2017, 09:14:42 AM »
Be aware of parking too, and things like resort fees and fees for wifi.

Online sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #499 on: April 22, 2017, 09:25:09 AM »
Just told the boss that I'd be late to work next Wednesday

I work in IT, so I'm constantly on-line.  I'll have to post a 'Do Not Disturb' sign in front of my cubicle though.    :) :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline hipchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 156
« Reply #500 on: April 22, 2017, 09:33:36 AM »
Now that I have processed this a bit more I can see one reason why they would move to this two-batch notification system - it can help with cutting off the people that try to have multiple computers/people submitting forms all at once. Say you have ten people helping you but only one person gets in on May 1 you have to either take the room or leave it, because you won't know what happens to the rest. The two night deposit will be required before the next batch gets notified. So unless you have infinite amounts of $$$ to plunk down on multiple deposits and be able to wait for a refund on a cancelled room you now have to think twice about it if this ends up being your situation.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #501 on: April 22, 2017, 09:47:13 AM »
Now that I have processed this a bit more I can see one reason why they would move to this two-batch notification system - it can help with cutting off the people that try to have multiple computers/people submitting forms all at once. Say you have ten people helping you but only one person gets in on May 1 you have to either take the room or leave it, because you won't know what happens to the rest. The two night deposit will be required before the next batch gets notified. So unless you have infinite amounts of $$$ to plunk down on multiple deposits and be able to wait for a refund on a cancelled room you now have to think twice about it if this ends up being your situation.

No offense, I don't think what you said will matter at all or is even correct. If you have 10 people helping such as your example, that means there are AT LEAST 10 credit cards that can be used to place the 2 night deposit, even if you only have 1 credit card, you should still have enough credit to put multiple deposits on it. You have till May 15 to request a refund. Sure the deposit is required before the May 8 batch, but unless you've maxed out your credit card, just paying the 2 night deposit, then waiting for your other people's hotels shouldn't be an issue. Then if someone else gets something better, you contact OnPeak and get a refund on the first batch hotel. I highly doubt this 2 stage system is meant to prevent people from thinking twice.

What I actually think the two batch system is for, is they'll take half of the people who go to the form first. So say the first 1000 people, whatever. Just using that number as an example. Give them their hotels. By the time the second batch notification is out, everyone who wanted their rooms will have paid their deposit, and so this potentially opens-up more rooms for those in the second batch. Not everyone will keep their room. Thus after all the deposits are made, the extra rooms will then be put back into the lottery for the second batch to have. I like that idea personally. In the past, the extra rooms all went to waitlist. Now, you potentially can give them to the second batch first. Then after the second batch of deposits are paid, we can go to the waitlisted people. It means hopefully less people waitlisted, and more people getting their top choices. Again, I have no insider info, but my idea sounds the most clearest as to why you'd go to a two batch notification system.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:49:49 AM by Jonathan »

Offline hipchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 156
« Reply #502 on: April 22, 2017, 10:02:34 AM »
No offense, I don't think what you said will matter at all or is even correct. If you have 10 people helping such as your example, that means there are AT LEAST 10 credit cards that can be used to place the 2 night deposit, even if you only have 1 credit card, you should still have enough credit to put multiple deposits on it. You have till May 15 to request a refund. Sure the deposit is required before the May 8 batch, but unless you've maxed out your credit card, just paying the 2 night deposit, then waiting for your other people's hotels shouldn't be an issue. Then if someone else gets something better, you contact OnPeak and get a refund on the first batch hotel. I highly doubt this 2 stage system is meant to prevent people from thinking twice.

What I actually think the two batch system is for, is they'll take half of the people who go to the form first. So say the first 1000 people, whatever. Just using that number as an example. Give them their hotels. By the time the second batch notification is out, everyone who wanted their rooms will have paid their deposit, and so this potentially opens-up more rooms for those in the second batch. Not everyone will keep their room. Thus after all the deposits are made, the extra rooms will then be put back into the lottery for the second batch to have. I like that idea personally. In the past, the extra rooms all went to waitlist. Now, you potentially can give them to the second batch first. Then after the second batch of deposits are paid, we can go to the waitlisted people. It means hopefully less people waitlisted, and more people getting their top choices. Again, I have no insider info, but my idea sounds the most clearest as to why you'd go to a two batch notification system.

Good point! I wasn't even thinking about it that way.

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #503 on: April 22, 2017, 10:30:11 AM »
interesting this year's sale you don't have to pick 6.

im working if i should just submit the top 2 i really want, or if i should just pick my top 6 downtown hotels anyways?

what is everybody going to do, pick 6 still or just pick their top 2 or 3?

last year was my 1st time doing to the hotel lottery and i got my #1. also i did get in right at 9am when the sale went live.
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #504 on: April 22, 2017, 10:32:48 AM »
interesting this year's sale you don't have to pick 6.

im working if i should just submit the top 2 i really want, or if i should just pick my top 6 downtown hotels anyways?

what is everybody going to do, pick 6 still or just pick their top 2 or 3?

last year was my 1st time doing to the hotel lottery and i got my #1. also i did get in right at 9am when the sale went live.

I'm going to pick a Top 2 or 3. Why? Simple. It depends on the waitlisting. I'm going under the assumption if I pick say 6 hotels, it gives them more hotels to give me for the waitlist. I'd rather be waitlisted for only the 2 or 3 I really want. I used to pick 6 because we had to, but really, I only had like a couple or so I actually wanted. But this is me. Others may just want a downtown hotel, and not be so specific. In that case, Id say pick 6 to get more chances at a waitlist.

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #505 on: April 22, 2017, 10:38:38 AM »
has anyone had a list of hotels based on the form timestamp (they claim it's the time you enter the form, but they didn't address stories from last year sooo..)  after a few minutes you know the closest are gone...so you move on to the next closest?

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #506 on: April 22, 2017, 10:39:17 AM »
has anyone had a list of hotels based on the form timestamp (they claim it's the time you enter the form, but they didn't address stories from last year sooo..)  after a few minutes you know the closest are gone...so you move on to the next closest?

Can you please clarify what you're asking? I can't understand your question.

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 71
« Reply #507 on: April 22, 2017, 10:43:19 AM »
Can you please clarify what you're asking? I can't understand your question.

if you don't get into the form by 9:05 MMM, HBF, hard rock, omni, are probably already spoken for, do you then make your top choice the next closest, may be less likely requested in the first minutes?

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #508 on: April 22, 2017, 10:45:18 AM »
As the Pendry hotel is not on the hotel list, and the SDCC dates are blocked on their website, I am guessing that the hotel has been reserved by some entity--a studio for instance.  Oh well...
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
« Reply #509 on: April 22, 2017, 10:46:45 AM »
if you don't get into the form by 9:05 MMM, HBF, hard rock, omni, are probably already spoken for, do you then make your top choice the next closest, may be less likely requested in the first minutes?

I'd make my choices as I normally would. I won't assume if I don't get in by 9:05, that my top choices are gone. But that's me.

As the Pendry hotel is not on the hotel list, and the SDCC dates are blocked on their website, I am guessing that the hotel has been reserved by some entity--a studio for instance.  Oh well...

I posted in the Pendry thread. I wonder if the Pendry will show-up in the actual form. In the past, when we get the list of hotels, the final form has extra rooms/hotels that weren't in the "sample." Or, as you state, Pendry is being saved for VIPs and the like. We may never know though, until Wednesday.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 10:50:14 AM by Jonathan »