Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293417 times)

Offline Lavendar

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 71
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #525 on: April 22, 2017, 04:59:01 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There will be plenty of rooms in Mission Valley and beyond. No one has to pay $800/night downtown.
Now that 100,000 ppl enter 6 other will that still be the case?

Offline TheNeck

• Hall H
  • Liked: 367
« Reply #526 on: April 22, 2017, 05:43:09 PM »
It's not clear to me if one person can enter into the waiting room using multiple browsers or devices with the same email link, or if it is one per person like the ticket lottery.  Has anyone used multiple browsers before and does it help?
last year i used multiple browsers without any issues, it can't hurt i dont think.
SDCC 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC Volunteer 2022, 2023
Fundays 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
Wondercon 2015, 2018

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #527 on: Today at 06:04:14 AM »

Offline thawk

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 124
« Reply #527 on: April 22, 2017, 06:37:34 PM »
Forgive me if I've missed this question, but have we gotten confirmation on the following:

Let's say I put 6 downtown and 6 non-downtown.  I get assigned one of my non-downtown choices.  Am I still waitlisted for my downtown options?  Would change my thoughts about whether I wanted to indicate a non-downtown hotel.
nana nana nana nana BATMAN...!

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #528 on: April 22, 2017, 06:40:10 PM »
Forgive me if I've missed this question, but have we gotten confirmation on the following:

Let's say I put 6 downtown and 6 non-downtown.  I get assigned one of my non-downtown choices.  Am I still waitlisted for my downtown options?  Would change my thoughts about whether I wanted to indicate a non-downtown hotel.

We discussed this a little bit earlier. The truthful answer? We "don't know." OnPeak hasn't given us any indication of their algorithm on how they judge who gets what hotel. No clue of preference or anything. They should have given another option box. One stating "I prefer downtown hotels above all else." So the system automatically goes downtown for you, and if you don't get one, you're automatically waitlisted for downtown as well. I know there is the option of "book me closest to the convention center regardless of rate" but to me that is slightly different than having a box dedicated to "downtown above all else." But as of right now, we have no indication any way.

Offline thawk

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 124
« Reply #529 on: April 22, 2017, 06:57:44 PM »
We discussed this a little bit earlier. The truthful answer? We "don't know." OnPeak hasn't given us any indication of their algorithm on how they judge who gets what hotel. No clue of preference or anything. They should have given another option box. One stating "I prefer downtown hotels above all else." So the system automatically goes downtown for you, and if you don't get one, you're automatically waitlisted for downtown as well. I know there is the option of "book me closest to the convention center regardless of rate" but to me that is slightly different than having a box dedicated to "downtown above all else." But as of right now, we have no indication any way.

Thanks for catching me up :)
nana nana nana nana BATMAN...!

Offline SDCCgal2015

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #530 on: April 22, 2017, 07:02:56 PM »
So I'm in a group of 4 and we are all going to try, but has anyone ever figured out whether we shouldn't put each other's names in as occupants or not?  Because we have always done so and we were never flagged as duplicates.  I'm wondering if they only look at the information at the top.

What does everyone else do?

Me and my people are curious as to the answer to this as well

Offline kiddo235

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #531 on: April 22, 2017, 09:29:36 PM »
Me and my people are curious as to the answer to this as well

I see no one has supplied an answer yet and I know there are a lot of people in our same predicament.
"Always said I wanted to work in Hollywood...I should have been more specific."

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #532 on: April 22, 2017, 09:42:13 PM »
I see no one has supplied an answer yet and I know there are a lot of people in our same predicament.

I don't think it's because no one has supplied an answer, I think it's because nobody HAS an answer. We simply don't know. In previous years, it's never been an issue, but then last year happened, and things got thrown out the window. I know I personally don't want to tell someone something, and be proven wrong when I'm not 100% sure. In this case, I'm not 100% sure. I know what I THINK, but it's meaningless because OnPeak can do whatever they want to do sadly.

Offline TardisMom

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1845
« Reply #533 on: April 22, 2017, 10:03:14 PM »

I *think* it is more important to make sure the phone number and email address don't get duplicated. 

That said, last year my 2 daughters and I had no response to our requests and used different emails and phone numbers, but our last name is distinctive.  So that's the only thing I can't figure that they flagged.  We *may* have used the home address more than once, but even so there are apartment buildings and such and also what if family members each want their own room???  We did end up getting rooms but through friends with completely different info.

But really I don't think anyone knows for sure...

Offline spritegirl24_7

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #534 on: April 23, 2017, 07:49:00 AM »
I *think* it is more important to make sure the phone number and email address don't get duplicated. 

That said, last year my 2 daughters and I had no response to our requests and used different emails and phone numbers, but our last name is distinctive.  So that's the only thing I can't figure that they flagged.  We *may* have used the home address more than once, but even so there are apartment buildings and such and also what if family members each want their own room???  We did end up getting rooms but through friends with completely different info.

But really I don't think anyone knows for sure...

I've been wondering about the duplicate issue as well. Every year, my mom and I always list the same 6 hotel choices. We list each other as room occupants and have the same mailing address, but different phone numbers and email addresses. She got a hotel last year (even though it wasn't one of our 6 choices, it was still downtown) and I got nothing. So, not sure if mine was flagged for being a duplicate due to address/last name being the same, or if the hotels were just all gone by the time mine was processed.

We ended up not being able to go due to health issues, so now that these changes with the 6 downtown vs. 6 non-downtown and the options for what to do if none of your hotels are available, i'm extra nervous as we need a close hotel due to her health issues. We are planning to only list the 6 downtown options and nothing in the non-downtown area as we would rather be waitlisted for downtown than be farther away. 

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #535 on: April 23, 2017, 08:54:51 AM »
Last year, my husband and I used different email addresses, different phone numbers, different guest names BUT the same address.  He got a room and I never got anything! I assume I was flagged because our addresses were the same!

Offline Kevin Bachelder

• Exhibit Hall
  • My Twitter - @kbachelder
    • DragonConNewbies.org
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #536 on: April 23, 2017, 11:02:10 AM »
I don't have a badge for 2017 but may be getting one from a vendor so I'm interested in getting a hotel room. 

Do you have to have a 2017 badge to be able to take part in the hotel lottery?

Thank you,

Kevin
New to the awesomeness that is Dragon Con?

Tuning In To Scifi TV podcast (covering all genre TV shows)

Tales Of The Black Badge - A Wynonna Earp fan podcast

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #537 on: April 23, 2017, 11:15:47 AM »
I don't have a badge for 2017 but may be getting one from a vendor so I'm interested in getting a hotel room. 

Do you have to have a 2017 badge to be able to take part in the hotel lottery?

No, anyone can participate in the hotel lottery. :)

Offline Kevin Bachelder

• Exhibit Hall
  • My Twitter - @kbachelder
    • DragonConNewbies.org
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #538 on: April 23, 2017, 11:22:35 AM »
No, anyone can participate in the hotel lottery. :)

Excellent...thanks for the quick and very helpful reply!  8)

Kevin
New to the awesomeness that is Dragon Con?

Tuning In To Scifi TV podcast (covering all genre TV shows)

Tales Of The Black Badge - A Wynonna Earp fan podcast

Offline Quislings

• Room 6BCF
    • Nerdophiles
  • Liked: 44
« Reply #539 on: April 23, 2017, 11:32:03 AM »
I feel like these are dumb questions on my part, but I've never requested more than one room on a form and this year we're contemplating two rooms.

Does it hurt/hinder your chances at downtown hotels to request 2 rooms on the form?

And when you get two rooms, is the deposit two nights for two rooms (so 4 nights) + taxes?
Managing Editor of You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | SDCC (2013 - 2018) | NYCC (2014 - 2018) | Wondercon (2017) | AwesomeCon (2014)