Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293426 times)

Offline jristen

• Ballroom 20
  • stardust and stuff
  • Liked: 760
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #900 on: April 26, 2017, 12:55:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yeah. I truly don't see how the processing order gets ignored if your top six aren't available anymore and you've selected a placement option that they can fill at that moment. If your top 6 isn't avail, but you've selected closest to convention center regardless of price, and there's even one room available to put you in somewhere, they do it, then move onto the next submission.

Agree with this. I feel like they'll probably send out notification for all downtown hotels on May 1, since they know those are the preferred ones, and then do everything else a week later? Including distributing a few hotels that got returned after the May 1 deadline.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #901 on: April 26, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »
Agree with this. I feel like they'll probably send out notification for all downtown hotels on May 1, since they know those are the preferred ones, and then do everything else a week later? Including distributing a few hotels that got returned after the May 1 deadline.

It could also be possible that anyone requesting non-downtown as their top 6 could be included in the May 1st notice.

...and this returns us to the possibility that you could be in the May 1st mailing, be forced to commit to a hotel that wasn't in your top six, but one of your top six gets returned and goes to a May 8th person.

It's probably not going to happen a lot, but I do recall some good hotels were on the waitlist options last year.

Monday will be very interesting.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:17:58 PM by dkd »

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #902 on: Today at 07:42:32 AM »

Offline kiddo235

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #902 on: April 26, 2017, 01:12:43 PM »
Did anyone on here just submit one hotel?

A friend of mine did.  We will see what happens with that.
"Always said I wanted to work in Hollywood...I should have been more specific."

Offline Tjod65

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #903 on: April 26, 2017, 01:40:48 PM »
Was there really any reason not to choose 6 non-downtown hotels other than the speculation of one of your 6 downtown hotels being cancelled after May 1st and then you getting it in the next release of emails?

Offline gobbieboom

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 50
« Reply #904 on: April 26, 2017, 01:43:19 PM »
Was there really any reason not to choose 6 non-downtown hotels other than the speculation of one of your 6 downtown hotels being cancelled after May 1st and then you getting it in the next release of emails?

My rationale was that if I only picked downtown hotels and missed out on my top six, picking the option of being put in any hotel closest to the con regardless of price would mean I'd potentially be assigned into a non-downtown room, BUT it would also guarantee that selecting the waitlist option would only have me waitlisted for downtown.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #905 on: April 26, 2017, 01:47:12 PM »

Obviously most people want downtown. But the majority of those, if downtown is unavailable, would want a non-downtown room. By selecting your choice of non-downtown rooms, you are communicating your choices in case there are no downtown rooms when they get to you, rather than being assigned something random.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #906 on: April 26, 2017, 01:51:24 PM »
I would love for OnPeak to give us a personal CONFIRMATION PAGE, instead of the generic one.  At least we would have something specific that said we successfully submitted our form.
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline chaosdreamer

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 102
« Reply #907 on: April 26, 2017, 01:57:26 PM »
A friend of mine did.  We will see what happens with that.

Thank your friend for getting us that data point!  ;)

Offline Satam

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #908 on: April 26, 2017, 02:09:36 PM »

I already booked a downtown hotel at an inflated (but still not altogether unreasonable) rate.  Getting a non-downtown hotel through the lottery would be a downgrade in pretty much every respect except cost, which isn't my only consideration.

Offline rickythump

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 310
« Reply #909 on: April 26, 2017, 02:31:33 PM »
I would love for OnPeak to give us a personal CONFIRMATION PAGE, instead of the generic one.  At least we would have something specific that said we successfully submitted our form.

An e-mail confirmation would be great as well. I'm (and many other people, I'm sure) going back over the form process in my head and stressing out on whether or not I put the correct e-mail address, duration of stay, etc etc etc.

Offline citizenmilton

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #910 on: April 26, 2017, 02:38:43 PM »

We don't know the algorithm OnPeak uses, so this is indeed all speculation. But we do know that OnPeak cites statistics to Comic-Con International that specify the % of attendees who "got placed in a room of their choice."

Suppose attendees A, B, and C participate in the #Hotelpocalypse. Let's say attendee C chose only downtown hotels, but attendee A and B chose 6 from each category. Attendee C was third in the queue in the process but they all have relatively similar timestamps. They could tailor the algorithm to maximize "choice selection matching" as the primary criteria for sorting. So, even though attendee C was the last in line, they would get placed into the downtown hotel, and attendee B would get placed out in Mission Valley. And OnPeak could report back to Comic-Con International that 100% of those three attendees were "successful" in getting a room they requested. Whereas, with a strictly linear system, only 66% of those attendees would've been "successful."

It's in their interest to use an algorithm like this to game the numbers and claim improvement over last year. I'm not saying or even speculating that is indeed what they do. But the process is so opaque, who knows?

Folks in the forum may disagree with this characterization of last year's process, but, I thought the general consensus last year was that the claims made by OnPeak about how the process was handled, versus the actual outcomes, had a number of wildly diverging aspects. On people discussing this situation on Reddit, the form access times and results did not seem to correlate properly. It's all anecdotal, of course, but there were lots of reports of persons with earlier form access times getting worse results than those with significantly later times. Did people inaccurately track their times? Maybe. But there seemed to be so much inconsistency, it sure seemed to me to indicate that OnPeak's sorting algorithms are a bit more complicated than we've been led to believe, or maybe their system is just glitchy and unreliable? I know someone on this forum has done much more exhaustive research on this so maybe I'm wrong and maybe the numbers in here are better than the ones that were on Reddit?

For this year, I left the non-downtown ones blank. I have no idea if it had any influence in improving my odds. I figure this theory has a very small chance of being true or being close to true enough that something similar is happening. For me, the difference between "any downtown" versus "anything in Mission Valley" is so enormous, I'd rather play those small odds to their fullest potential rather than maybe have an option at a slightly-more-preferable Mission Valley hotel or hotels. Next year, we'll probably know a lot more and I'll adjust my strategy accordingly :)

Offline MarvelGurl

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 273
« Reply #911 on: April 26, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »

For me, if I don't get downtown I don't really care what non-downtown hotel I get sorted into so to hopefully better my chances of getting a downtown hotel I want to make it clear that's the area that I want and won't "settle" for an alternative.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #912 on: April 26, 2017, 03:58:08 PM »
Looks like a few hotels didn't allocate ALL their rooms to SDCC.  I just got these in a Hotel search:

Hilton Bayfront:  $1,317 per night
Indigo:  $738 per night

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #913 on: April 26, 2017, 04:01:55 PM »
For me, if I don't get downtown I don't really care what non-downtown hotel I get sorted into so to hopefully better my chances of getting a downtown hotel I want to make it clear that's the area that I want and won't "settle" for an alternative.
I'm with you on this MarvelGurl. I only put downtown choices because if it's not downtown, I know from prior experience, that I'm going to be spending very little time in the hotel, so I don't care where I stay. I'm perfectly fine sleeping on my camping pad, and I actually enjoy the camaraderie of the Hall H line. I've made friends for life that way. So, I'm sweating it, but I'm not sweating it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #914 on: April 26, 2017, 04:04:12 PM »
Looks like a few hotels didn't allocate ALL their rooms to SDCC.  I just got these in a Hotel search:

Hilton Bayfront:  $1,317 per night
Indigo:  $738 per night
I actually did laugh out loud in disbelief of the $1317 per night. Holy crap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk