Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293465 times)

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #930 on: April 26, 2017, 08:24:02 PM »
Any word on why the Coronado hotels were missing from the sale? I checked the Coronado Marriott out of curiosity, they did have some $379 a night rates, but non-cancellable.

Also, I liked the addition of the green running person in lieu of the queue numbers, those numbers confused a lot of people in the last sale.

Offline NeedaRoomPlease

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #931 on: April 26, 2017, 08:35:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

So people were running multiple browsers and that worked? Why would they set up a system like that, it seems really unfair.

I agree 110%....

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #932 on: Today at 03:54:26 PM »

Online SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #932 on: April 26, 2017, 08:51:17 PM »
Any word on why the Coronado hotels were missing from the sale? I checked the Coronado Marriott out of curiosity, they did have some $379 a night rates, but non-cancellable.

Also, I liked the addition of the green running person in lieu of the queue numbers, those numbers confused a lot of people in the last sale.
I think I saw on twitter that the Coronado hotel blocks were already 100% booked.  My guess is for talent.  Same with the Pendry.
We have seen hotels appear in the past during the waitlist that were not part of the original sale.  Maybe it will happen again?

Offline jristen

• Ballroom 20
  • stardust and stuff
  • Liked: 760
« Reply #933 on: April 26, 2017, 08:53:43 PM »
I think I saw on twitter that the Coronado hotel blocks were already 100% booked.  My guess is for talent.  Same with the Pendry.
We have seen hotels appear in the past during the waitlist that were not part of the original sale.  Maybe it will happen again?

I think this will happen. I remember in the emails from the Sony leak someone talking about how they needed to confirm their block for the MGH by a certain date or they would lose them.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 09:25:17 PM by jristen »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #934 on: April 26, 2017, 09:02:05 PM »

I think this will happen. I remember in the emails from the Sony leak someone talking about how they needed to confirm their block for the MGH by a certain date or the time would lose them.

Really interesting, (and I need to start going on twitter again.) Correction on my earlier post about the Coronado Marriott, i still see $371 a night but it can be canceled. I know the Del has been a popular spot for celebrities, but we've stayed at the Marriott several years and never saw any.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #935 on: April 26, 2017, 09:33:50 PM »
I have another thought about the possibility that the Pendry was taken up entirely by VIP's.  If that's the case, maybe they were blocks that moved from other hotels.  Maybe this still added hotel rooms for attendees, even if it was indirect.

Offline lawboysam

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #936 on: April 27, 2017, 04:24:36 AM »
We don't know the algorithm OnPeak uses, so this is indeed all speculation. But we do know that OnPeak cites statistics to Comic-Con International that specify the % of attendees who "got placed in a room of their choice."

We were finally able to confirm with onPeak (Director of Product Development, not a phone rep) AFTER the sale (sigh) that they are prioritizing downtown over non-downtown if you selected both. But that would have been good info to know beforehand.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 04:28:26 AM by lawboysam »

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #937 on: April 27, 2017, 04:35:58 AM »
We were finally able to confirm with onPeak (Director of Product Development, not a phone rep) AFTER the sale (sigh) that they are prioritizing downtown over non-downtown if you selected both. But that would have been good info to know beforehand.
Thanks for looking into it.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #938 on: April 27, 2017, 05:59:29 AM »

That's great to hear, thank you!

Offline citizenmilton

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #939 on: April 27, 2017, 07:30:30 AM »

That's cool to know. You guys do such a fantastic job! I'm also curious what the order of preference is, in this (complicated but relevant) situation, if an attendee:

1. chose 6 downtown hotels, none of which are available at time of processing, but several other downtown hotels ARE available.
2. chose 6 non-downtown hotels, several of which are available at time of processing
3. chose the checkbox of, "If none of my preferred hotel choices are available... put me at closest available"

My GUESS is, that even with selection of the preference for proximity, and that they say they prioritize downtown, my guess is that in the above scenario, even though there are still downtown hotels available, just not ones you specified, I bet they'll put that submitter in one of the Mission Valley hotels that matched their preference selections. I could be totally wrong on that, but, it seems like the proximity of the hotel doesn't get factored in until "none of (your) preferred hotel choices are available".

That scenario is probably encountered by a non-trivial amount of submissions, and the common sense understanding of "prioritizing downtown" would maybe lead someone to expect that, "if there's anything downtown available, give that to me first," but I don't think that's what actually happens. In the above scenario, I think the submitter gets Mission Valley'd. Hence, why I left the non-downtown options blank.

Offline spritegirl24_7

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 96
« Reply #940 on: April 27, 2017, 07:51:05 AM »
That's cool to know. You guys do such a fantastic job! I'm also curious what the order of preference is, in this (complicated but relevant) situation, if an attendee:

1. chose 6 downtown hotels, none of which are available at time of processing, but several other downtown hotels ARE available.
2. chose 6 non-downtown hotels, several of which are available at time of processing
3. chose the checkbox of, "If none of my preferred hotel choices are available... put me at closest available"

My GUESS is, that even with selection of the preference for proximity, and that they say they prioritize downtown, my guess is that in the above scenario, even though there are still downtown hotels available, just not ones you specified, I bet they'll put that submitter in one of the Mission Valley hotels that matched their preference selections. I could be totally wrong on that, but, it seems like the proximity of the hotel doesn't get factored in until "none of (your) preferred hotel choices are available".

That scenario is probably encountered by a non-trivial amount of submissions, and the common sense understanding of "prioritizing downtown" would maybe lead someone to expect that, "if there's anything downtown available, give that to me first," but I don't think that's what actually happens. In the above scenario, I think the submitter gets Mission Valley'd. Hence, why I left the non-downtown options blank.

This exact scenario is why I only listed 6 downtown hotels and then selected the "book me into the closest hotel if none of mine are available" option. I was too worried that if I listed any non-downtown at all, that if my 6 downtown weren't available, they'd just put me in non-downtown even thought that option for booking the closest was selected. I didn't want to be Mission Valley'd either.  :D

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #941 on: April 27, 2017, 07:54:34 AM »
I'm still confused about the waitlist option. It had no other info except to be put on the waitlist. Are they going to do that weird thing where you just go look at whatever is left and pick something like last year?

With the 2 waves of confirmations, it feels like you have to make some hard choices: take what you get on may 1 (which might not be what you want), roll the dice and see if you get something may 8, or take a chance with a not explained waitlist.

My first thought with the 2 waves is that a lot of downtown hotels will go back into the pool because those who get what they want may 1 will have other group members who cancel/don't deposit. But now I wondee if they give those rooms to the waitlist or to the may 8 group.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 07:59:04 AM by Angie »

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #942 on: April 27, 2017, 07:56:15 AM »

[/quote]

I did the same using the same logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #943 on: April 27, 2017, 09:18:52 AM »
I'm still confused about the waitlist option. It had no other info except to be put on the waitlist. Are they going to do that weird thing where you just go look at whatever is left and pick something like last year?

With the 2 waves of confirmations, it feels like you have to make some hard choices: take what you get on may 1 (which might not be what you want), roll the dice and see if you get something may 8, or take a chance with a not explained waitlist.

My first thought with the 2 waves is that a lot of downtown hotels will go back into the pool because those who get what they want may 1 will have other group members who cancel/don't deposit. But now I wondee if they give those rooms to the waitlist or to the may 8 group.

This is the dilemma I tried to express a few screens ago.

In the past, if you don't take a hotel, you don't get on the waitlist.  You just get dropped from the system.  The only people on the waitlist in the past were people who got nothing or people who got a hotel they didn't want.

That's the way I understood it, but I could be wrong.  Maybe you do get on the waitlist if you don't like the hotel they gave you.  Maybe someone can expand on that.  I've never asked to be on the waitlist.

But, now, with two waves, it's unclear whether you take the hotel you don't want, but are in the front of the line on May 8th OR you move to the back of the line.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #944 on: April 27, 2017, 09:25:55 AM »
So far it appears that a lot of people did not list non-downtown hotels and chose the closest to the con option. There's a kind of game theory thing in the current approach that is tricky, if you are location sensitive at some point you would want to start adding some preferable non-downtown hotels but it's hard to know at what point that would start. 

I think that, with the randomization, things are at the point where they should just let you submit the form during some period, at your leisure, AND allow you to provide a more complete set of preferences. I do worry that the current system is open to being gamed in several ways, but that could be mostly solved by not having a live submission and by requiring the use of a CCI member id, (not necessarily a badge but I know that has a lot of support.)

I like the distance, price and shuttle options, they should keep that but also allow you to enter an area (downtown, Harbor island, ...) as a choice. They could also allow you to prioritize as many hotels (the list isn't that long) and areas as you want, so you could rank all of them if you wanted or just a couple, or even just pick closest to the con, which corresponds pretty well to a lot of people's top 6 list anyway.

This is the dilemma I tried to express a few screens ago.

In the past, if you don't take a hotel, you don't get on the waitlist.  You just get dropped from the system.  The only people on the waitlist in the past were people who got nothing or people who got a hotel they didn't want.

That's the way I understood it, but I could be wrong.  Maybe you do get on the waitlist if you don't like the hotel they gave you.  Maybe someone can expand on that.  I've never asked to be on the waitlist.

But, now, with two waves, it's unclear whether you take the hotel you don't want, but are in the front of the line on May 8th OR you move to the back of the line.

Last year you did stay on the waitlist even if you didn't take the hotel they gave you. But yeah, we don't know if that will be the same.