Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293451 times)

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #990 on: April 27, 2017, 12:17:27 PM »
While I would love them to have unique ID's to enter the waiting room, whatever system they use, somebody is going to figure out a way to game the system.  Even with the unique ID's for the badge sale, people use buying groups, get multiple member ID's, etc.

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #991 on: April 27, 2017, 12:33:07 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I did.
So did I.  Maybe that will give us an advantage.  :D
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #992 on: Today at 12:38:43 PM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #992 on: April 27, 2017, 12:35:36 PM »
I want to list out the good things this year too, it's not perfect but I do think they have made some improvements.

Explicit and clear communication about how randomization played a role.
Example form was good, worked fine (last year there was that issue with the watermark,) and gave people time to process the new options.
Addition of an option that included cost, distance too but cost was something really important to add in my opinion.
Running person replacing the queue numbers.
The software (so far as we know) worked smoothly, things started on time and I didn't notice or hear about any congestion issues.

Offline hipchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 156
« Reply #993 on: April 27, 2017, 12:46:17 PM »
I used two computers and three browsers per computer. I learned from previous years. I wasn't trying to get a crap ton of entries that is too difficult when you just need a room for two people. Just making sure I had multiple chances of getting randomized into a group that let me in immediately and I submitted one request for myself and one for my husband. I closed everything else out after I finished.

I also entered member ID for me and for my husband. I figure if they REALLY wanted to, they can scan member IDs with CCI to see who has a badge and prioritize them with a hotel. They're a vendor tho so I don't think they are that sophisticated. My guess is they are doing some kind of research to see how many ppl with IDs are participating vs those who don't have IDs. I doubt it will go anywhere though.

Offline hikanteki

• Fulfillment Room
  • Liked: 602
« Reply #994 on: April 27, 2017, 12:56:15 PM »
I don't think they should limit the hotel lottery to badge holders per se, but they should limit it to people with Member IDs. Volunteers, exhibitors, comp badges, etc need hotels too. Anyone who is associated with Comic-Con should know to have a Member ID. If someone who isn't going to Comic-Con at all really wants to go through the drama of the lottery for a chance to be able to book a hotel at $300+/night when it would be half the price any other week...let them, I guess.

Also, there are always hotels available until the con...just not downtown ones. Giving badged attendees priority for the downtown ones just seems like too many specifics to block a relatively small group of people.
SDCC 07 12-14 16-19 22-24 | CCSE 21 | ECCC 12-19 21-23 | WC 10-11 16 19 22-24 | RCCC 15 21-22 24 | SVCC 16-19 21-22 | DCC 16 22 | SLCC 19 21 | SFFX 22-24 | ABQCC 23-24 | SWC 15

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #995 on: April 27, 2017, 12:56:34 PM »
I want to list out the good things this year too, it's not perfect but I do think they have made some improvements.

Example form was good, worked fine (last year there was that issue with the watermark,) and gave people time to process the new options.
Addition of an option that included cost, distance too but cost was something really important to add in my opinion.
The software (so far as we know) worked smoothly, things started on time and I didn't notice or hear about any congestion issues.
Very good points.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline LB42

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #996 on: April 27, 2017, 01:00:11 PM »
Requesting the member ID seems like a data mining expedition to me. By adding this data point to the registration form, they should be able to get some decent data on what percentage of rooms go to members and from there what percentage of members are awarded downtown vs shuttle route vs wholly shut out of  rooms.  Depending on the data exchange between CCI and on peak, they may also be able to drill down and find the percentages of attendees receiving rooms etc.  This could help CCI evaluate and address the nagging concern that a disproportionate number of downtown rooms are awarded to non-attendees. Now - will they actually do that or will that data go in the round file - who knows.

Offline semigeekgirl

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • "If the apocalypse comes, beep me."
  • Liked: 2464
« Reply #997 on: April 27, 2017, 01:02:48 PM »

I would, unfortunately, quibble with the first point... despite OnPeak's multiple assurances that the forms would be processed in order of form entry, apparently phone reps are telling people form speed *did* matter.

I'm pretty sure those phone reps are just wrong, but it still begs the question, why is OnPeak incapable of communicating its policies clearly to its own employees? EVERY YEAR.

Offline gobbieboom

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 50
« Reply #998 on: April 27, 2017, 01:06:56 PM »
I'm sure there are plenty of people like me who are current badge holders and just didn't bother to type in my member ID in the field simply because it wasn't required. So, I'm not sure how accurate the data will be.

Offline Devorah

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • If the apocalypse comes, beep me.
  • Liked: 1399
« Reply #999 on: April 27, 2017, 01:07:24 PM »

I would, unfortunately, quibble with the first point... despite OnPeak's multiple assurances that the forms would be processed in order of form entry, apparently phone reps are telling people form speed *did* matter.

I'm pretty sure those phone reps are just wrong, but it still begs the question, why is OnPeak incapable of communicating its policies clearly to its own employees? EVERY YEAR.

Agreed that kudos on the first point should wait until we see the results and determine (as much as that's possible) if it actually worked the way they said.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #1000 on: April 27, 2017, 01:08:45 PM »

Ack. But I was happy with the written stuff.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #1001 on: April 27, 2017, 01:39:15 PM »

Great, yet again communication issues with their employees! Gotta love it  :-\ I hope they're just wrong, and maybe the forum should try to get to a manager tbh, but that makes me a bit more nervous because my typing is definitely not speedy right now due to illness and I was the first person in my hotel room to get in.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline Godolphin

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 191
« Reply #1002 on: April 27, 2017, 01:46:57 PM »
I don't believe anything Onpeak says, I had autofill and selected fast. I still had a feeling being fast might help, we will see. I submitted in under a minute after getting access to the form.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 01:51:04 PM by Godolphin »

Offline hipchick

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 156
« Reply #1003 on: April 27, 2017, 01:58:17 PM »

If that's true I'm totally screwed because I got in at around :49 secs but took at least five min to fill it out because I didn't want to screw up given they told us speed didn't matter it was when you were granted access that did 😕

Offline gobbieboom

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 50
« Reply #1004 on: April 27, 2017, 02:02:49 PM »
It flies in the face of literally everything both onPeak and SDCC have been saying about this year's sale, so I'm chalking it up to phone reps not being informed.