Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293457 times)

Offline sideproject

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 44
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #1575 on: May 02, 2017, 09:12:40 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So after going through all that, my guess is that the selection model is a random formula of potential revenue, what types of rooms are available, and timestamp.

This makes a lot of sense to me.

Offline straightline3

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #1576 on: May 02, 2017, 09:13:40 AM »
I'm pretty sure you pay the remaining balance during your stay for SDCC. If you want to pay it off early, you may call the hotel to make those arrangements.

The rest is due when you checkout of the hotel.  When you checkin to the hotel, you have to give them a credit card that they will authorize for the expected remainder, which if you are parking a car, will be more than the deposit amount. And they usually add some amount (maybe $100) for potential incidental charges like room service.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1577 on: Today at 01:50:47 PM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #1577 on: May 02, 2017, 09:15:34 AM »
In business school, we often had to do these problems where we had to maximize revenue/efficiency based on constraints (i.e. your staff's schedule, union regulations regarding maximum hours etc).  I would assume that there was a similar formula in place.  It never made sense to me that it was entirely based on Timestamps as people are coming in and leaving on different days, the block is setup for the whole week and if they gave rooms to all the people who are coming in just for Friday and Saturday, it wouldn't maximize efficiency. 

My guess for what the model looks like (forgive me, I'm stuck on a boat with nothing better to do).  Let's say the Omni has the following available:

1 king, 2 doubles on  Tuesday Night
2 kings, 3 doubles on Wednesday Night
3 kings, 4 doubles on Thursday, Friday, Saturday Night

And we have the following who want the Omni as their first choice (in order of time stamp)

Tom-Room for 2, 4 nights checking in Wed
Dick-Room for 2, 2 nights checking in Thurs
Harry-Room for 1, 4 nights checking in in Wed
Jane-Room for 4, 5 nights checking in Tues
Mary-Room for 4, 3 nights checking in Thurs
Ann-Room for 1, 4 nights checking in Tues
John-Room for 1, 2 nights checking in Fri
Caitlyn-Room for 2, 3 nights checking in Wed
Chris-Room for 3, 5 nights checking in Tues

For convenience sake, let's say the guest value is about $100 per person and the maximum the Omni can hope to earn from the week is $9200.  If we went by a timestamp first rule, the following would get rooms: Tom, Dick, Harry, Jane, Mary, Ann, John.  The total revenue from this combo is $5,400. 

If we then decided to go by a formula of working from whoever has the earliest check-in, our guest list now looks like Tom, Dick, Harry, Jane, Mary, Ann, and Chris.  Despite being the last person to get the form, Chris gets in because he had an earlier check-in than John.  Our revenue goes up to $6,700. 

Now if we do a more complicated formula that takes into account revenue to be earned plus the constraints of time and occupancy with timestamp being the tie breaker, our guest list is now: Tom, Dick, Harry, Jane, Mary, Caitlyn, and Chris, with Dick and Kaitlyn looking at King Beds.  Ann now loses out to Harry despite the earlier checkin due to the timestamp rule and Caitlyn gets in because she brings in more  revenue.  This combo bumps up revenue to $6,900

So after going through all that, my guess is that the selection model is a random formula of potential revenue, what types of rooms are available, and timestamp.

I like the theory (I have an operations research background) and the reasoning is solid, but I think you might be giving them too much credit. My perception has been that they are more of a logistics company and don't do much if any revenue maximization. The rates are also negotiated between the hotels and CCI and some hotels do control a bit by price, charging a more expensive rate for a short stay.

The problem is also a bit easier in that the majority of people will stay for similar date ranges, I think even more people request similar date ranges knowing they can add days on either side pretty easily if they need to. They also seem to be ignoring the room type request in many people's cases.

Up until a few years ago you had to fill out the form as quickly as possible and then they went roughly by submission time, possibly with some dithering. My guess is that the assignment process has stayed mostly the same except they now use a different method for ordering the requests. They do seem to be tracking some metrics like how many requests get a top choice or how many get something in their list, but my overall perception is that they are trying to improve this by making changes in form options and how the assignments are now being staggered rather than any changes to the core selection algorithm.

Just my 2 cents. But it's definitely worth thinking about this from all sides, how would you set it up to maximize the benefit to hotels, how would you set it up to maximize attendee experience, and so on.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #1578 on: May 02, 2017, 09:16:04 AM »

Brilliant.  Well thought out and probably correct.  This changes the way I enter my request in the future.

Even though I am going from Tuesday to Sunday, I submitted for Thursday to Sunday.  Why?  Because Tuesday and Wednesday are usually available on the open market and sometimes at better rates.  If I didn't get a great hotel, I'd get a better hotel for Tuesday and Wednesday and switch on Thursday.  If I did get a great hotel, I could go to the open market to add the missing days for that hotel.

But, now that I know submitting for Tuesday through Sunday is an advantage, I will do that in the future.

Edited to add:
While MMM rooms are $304 per night through OnPeak, they are $229 on the open market for Tuesday night.  Since I am in MMM for Wednesday thru Sunday, I just got Tuesday at the lower rate.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:57:23 AM by dkd »

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #1579 on: May 02, 2017, 09:18:04 AM »
It never made sense to me that it was entirely based on Timestamps as people are coming in and leaving on different days, the block is setup for the whole week and if they gave rooms to all the people who are coming in just for Friday and Saturday, it wouldn't maximize efficiency. 

I have always thought the same thing, which is why I always request Wednesday-Monday, regardless of what days I actually go. I will straighten out after I pay the deposit, if I need to.

Offline bmag

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 19
« Reply #1580 on: May 02, 2017, 09:19:51 AM »
I got in the form at 901 and completed about 902-903 and still no email. I'll be promoting at the artist alley and my wife will be promoting at the Hello Kitty booth. Hoping that Marvel would have helped me out. Not going to be easy since the kids will be with us. Definitely wanted something in the downtown area. Hoping luck will shine our way coming may 8!

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #1581 on: May 02, 2017, 09:29:39 AM »
I was just chatting with a friend....

I'm sorry if I sound dumb but....if deposits need to be made by 12:00 AM PDT on May 5, isn't that the same as midnight May 4? ::)

Offline straightline3

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #1582 on: May 02, 2017, 09:39:51 AM »
I was just chatting with a friend....

I'm sorry if I sound dumb but....if deposits need to be made by 12:00 AM PDT on May 5, isn't that the same as midnight May 4? ::)

Yes indeed

Offline jontargaryen

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 65
« Reply #1583 on: May 02, 2017, 09:49:01 AM »
Does anyone know when you can pay the remainder of the balance? I asked the girl @ Epic & she had no clue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the past I've been able to call the hotel directly and pay the rest over the phone once the reservation gets sent to the hotel. Or you can pay at checkout. I prefer to pay in advance for cash flow and budget purposes.

Offline madfly

• Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 140
« Reply #1584 on: May 02, 2017, 09:58:12 AM »
Yes indeed

I hope everyone realizes this.....wouldn't want anyone to miss out on their hotel!

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #1585 on: May 02, 2017, 10:41:25 AM »
We put in our CC information for the deposit last night on a transferred room and it was pending on our card first thing this morning, so that's good I suppose.  Just need to call them and change some of the roommate info.

Offline LB42

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #1586 on: May 02, 2017, 10:49:20 AM »
a bunch of folks have approached me looking to give away rooms but they only have doubles/one bed.

the thought occurs to me, if more people were ok with a king, we'd be able to clear a lot more people off the board

If there are any of these still floating around -  I only need a king and am on the form. We were able to give away a room at MGH a few years ago - but had times of 9:11 this year so downtown is not in the cards for us this year absent a room trade.

For those wanting a backup- Embassy Suites has off an on put up cancellable rooms (no upfront payment) at 469 per night - but that's really pricey. They had a few available yesterday and I would expect they will put out a few more as those who won the hotel lottery cancel their refundable rooms.

Offline Johnc86

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #1587 on: May 02, 2017, 11:02:40 AM »
I didn't get a hotel during the first round, does that mean in the second round it will mainly be non-downtown hotels? Will hotels put rooms back up on the open market thru Expedia, Priceline, etc.? I'm assuming those will cost significantly more than hotel reg. Any other options besides that or Airbnb?

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #1588 on: May 02, 2017, 11:07:05 AM »
I didn't get a hotel during the first round, does that mean in the second round it will mainly be non-downtown hotels? Will hotels put rooms back up on the open market thru Expedia, Priceline, etc.? I'm assuming those will cost significantly more than hotel reg. Any other options besides that or Airbnb?

We really don't know this year.  The theory is that unclaimed rooms for the first round will be added back into the pool for the 2nd round.  So I imagine some people in the 2nd round will get downtown hotels.  After that it will be the waitlist.  I would doubt any rooms get put back on the open market.

Offline Javier

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 51
« Reply #1589 on: May 02, 2017, 11:08:00 AM »
It could be just the more popular hotels first...really only saw people with mostly Omni, MMM, MGH, Hilton, HR. So I got a feeling they want those out of the way so they can allot the rooms people give up to second batch as well as the rest of the hotels.

Just an opinion, no insider knowledge