Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293509 times)

Offline Fazermint

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 48
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #1650 on: May 02, 2017, 06:45:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Let me be clear to everyone. If someone asks for money and you don't know/trust them 100%, please let the moderating team know.

for example, one of my good friend who i roomed with last year asked for my CC #, i gave it without thought .I would not have given my CC # to an unknown person.

Good point. A safe way to pay someone you don't know, is to attach your credit card to your PayPal account, and then pay using PayPal, making sure you choose the "goods and services" option, and put it on your credit card. You'll have to  pay a fee to do that, but if you don't get what you paid for, you can easily get your money back. And the person won't have your credit card number.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #1651 on: May 02, 2017, 06:54:09 PM »
Going to have to second this and give another shout-out to our hotel exchange moderating team for their hard work!  This wouldn't be possible without your help, so thank you so much for your efforts, [member=283]Devorah[/member], [member=3724]jristen[/member], [member=2339]NCDS[/member], [member=364]Angology[/member], [member=842]TardisMom[/member], [member=314]Transmute Jun[/member], and [member=1]alyssa[/member].
I wholeheartedly agree. Great team helping us all out! Thank you very much to all involved.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 07:39:13 PM by DRWHO42 »
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1652 on: Today at 02:43:38 AM »

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #1652 on: May 02, 2017, 06:57:16 PM »
Changing direction here... 
thanks for shifting gears and of course thanking us too

There's a couple of things that haven't been brought up in a while-

first, the forum tech team has put together a sheet for folks to offer rooms. Personally, i've got a couple of Hotel Solamar double rooms (one bed) to give away. help me help you ;)
here's the link You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Second thing, if your interested in helping the forum/site, we do accept donations. We've got a couple of subscription plans with some incentives, no ad's and lanyards. here's the link for to subscribe, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

third, We do sell official FoCC lanyard for $10. The nice thing about the lanyards is they're super easy to spot. I've run into so many folks at con simply because they were wearing the lanyard. the store is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Maxdoom5

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #1653 on: May 02, 2017, 07:35:10 PM »
First posting here btw (been following for a couple years now) I just wanted to say thank you guys for not only  being one of the best references for the con but for really showing what good is left in humanity. I have never seen such a great group of people work together and create such a welcoming atmosphere!

Offline ripresa

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #1654 on: May 02, 2017, 07:36:39 PM »
So it looks like for 9:03 submission time the odds are low? Like 10% that we get a hotel at all?

Offline gaeilstar

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 70
« Reply #1655 on: May 02, 2017, 07:38:26 PM »
Going to have to second this and give another shout-out to our hotel exchange moderating team for their hard work!  This wouldn't be possible without your help, so thank you so much for your efforts, [member=283]Devorah[/member], [member=3724]jristen[/member], [member=2339]NCDS[/member], [member=364]Angology[/member], [member=842]TardisMom[/member], [member=314]Transmute Jun[/member], and [member=1]alyssa[/member].

Agree completely!!! Not only has this forum been completely valuable and a lifesaver, but I've made some amazing friends. Thanks to the mods--I know you work hard and this is not easy job!!

Offline Maxdoom5

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 14
« Reply #1656 on: May 02, 2017, 07:44:09 PM »
Hey guys every year my wife and I stay at hostels international in a private room if we strike out with hotelpocolypse. We just called and they had a private room available and it's like 2 blocks from the con. There's always super friendly people there and the location is perfect. They still have one more private room available. It was like $900 for Wednesday through Sunday FYI

Offline Zero

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1991
« Reply #1657 on: May 02, 2017, 07:47:43 PM »
First posting here btw (been following for a couple years now) I just wanted to say thank you guys for not only  being one of the best references for the con but for really showing what good is left in humanity. I have never seen such a great group of people work together and create such a welcoming atmosphere!

Thank you for making this your first post!  Your kind words are greatly appreciated.  It's true that we have moderators helping to facilitate the exchange process, but it's a community effort in putting it forward (and offering something to either give away or trade in the first place).  We couldn't do it without our forum members and their wealth of kindness and knowledge.

Agree completely!!! Not only has this forum been completely valuable and a lifesaver, but I've made some amazing friends. Thanks to the mods--I know you work hard and this is not easy job!!

On behalf of the moderating team, thank you so much, [member=2945]gaeilstar[/member]!  I'm so glad you have had the opportunity to make some good friends from this experience on the forums as well.  ^__^ I'll be the first one to admit that it's challenging yet rewarding being a global mod, but when I see posts like this and the one from [member=6047]Maxdoom5[/member] above, it really means a lot.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login | You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Searching for the light known as 'you' in the middle of the night...

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #1658 on: May 02, 2017, 07:56:26 PM »
So it looks like for 9:03 submission time the odds are low? Like 10% that we get a hotel at all?

you should get a hotel. there will be rooms, just farther away
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline Vypinoy

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #1659 on: May 02, 2017, 09:25:35 PM »
I got the Marriott Marqius and Marina!

Confirmation email 9:20am PT

I got in right when the waiting room released to that running man queue line. And on a cell phone no less (Android).

Screen changed from waiting room to running man and just kept running to the full running man meter.

I had another device browser get in by the time i finished the first form and that second form didnt even get a May 1st hotel email confirmation. had another device get in a form within 9 minutes after opening and that also didnt get an email yet.

So was the first minute in?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:35:29 PM by Vypinoy »

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #1660 on: May 02, 2017, 09:38:04 PM »
Hmm, this might be a good idea. I'm also contemplating changing my reservation to come in on Tuesday.

I came in on Tuesday the last two years. I loved it so much, I'm coming in Monday this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jristen

• Ballroom 20
  • stardust and stuff
  • Liked: 760
« Reply #1661 on: May 02, 2017, 09:40:17 PM »
I came in on Tuesday the last two years. I loved it so much, I'm coming in Monday this year.

We started coming in on Tuesday last year and I love it. It's so nice to not be rushed and it also enables you to get 90% of your hotel requests. Two birds, one stone. This year, with a kind recommendation from [member=314]Transmute Jun[/member] I think we'll be checking out a spa before SDCC starts as well!

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #1662 on: May 02, 2017, 09:59:45 PM »
thanks for shifting gears and of course thanking us too

There's a couple of things that haven't been brought up in a while-

first, the forum tech team has put together a sheet for folks to offer rooms. Personally, i've got a couple of Hotel Solamar double rooms (one bed) to give away. help me help you ;)
here's the link You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Second thing, if your interested in helping the forum/site, we do accept donations. We've got a couple of subscription plans with some incentives, no ad's and lanyards. here's the link for to subscribe, You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

third, We do sell official FoCC lanyard for $10. The nice thing about the lanyards is they're super easy to spot. I've run into so many folks at con simply because they were wearing the lanyard. the store is You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
This forum does amazing things! It has introduced me to people that I would have never met who have become what keeps me going when things get dark at work in the muggle world during the year. It's funny how knowing you will see a group
of people for 5-6 days of the year makes the jerks you deal with the other 360 days more bearable. I do/ have contributed. Best money spent. I don't need any of.the perks. The forum is the perk.

Offline NoNoNuni

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #1663 on: May 02, 2017, 10:26:19 PM »
Westin Gaslamp for us, huzzah! (subject to change, of course, in the unlikely even of one of us getting something closer in the next batch.)

We ended up there last year after our top 6's got sold out, and we loved it so much, we put it on the list this year. I hope all you folks who ended up there find it just as awesome!

Offline Webdude007

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #1664 on: May 02, 2017, 10:28:30 PM »
I can't say enough nice things about this forum.

I was literally lost before the FOCC forum showed me the way.  The people here are so knowledgeable and come from so many backgrounds and personalities.  The badge buying groups are amazing (thank you Louis Martinez and all) and then I find myself starting to come out of the lurker shadows to post more often now.

Anyways, kudos to you all for making this my go-to place for information and all things comic con.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:30:39 PM by Webdude007 »