Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293489 times)

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #1785 on: May 03, 2017, 04:52:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If they wouldn't do it for you today, I'd wait until after the 15th. They can submit a case and have it done. I got a twin switched to a quad last year, but you just have to be patient and wait it out. They're kind of afraid of changing things and losing you your reservation right now with everything going on - but it'll be a different story here in a few weeks.
But a twin is already two beds, so you were just changing the number of occupants.  It's tougher to change the number of beds because all the rooms have been allocated already.
Of course they do say that the number of beds is not guaranteed.
The hotel may be able to do something at check in if you get in early enough.

Offline Miclpea

• Hall H
  • Liked: 350
« Reply #1786 on: May 03, 2017, 04:54:17 PM »
Ok so I have a room booked for Tuesday-Tuesday at Bayfront. Went online and got cheaper rates for Tuesday and then again for Sunday-Tuesday. I called Hilton to see if I can combine my 3 reservations to avoid  changing rooms 3 times. The chick was so not helpful and I got "disconnected "from her lol. I don't think they have the reservations from onpeak yet with our info. Guess I will try to combine them at check in. I'm also nervous to change any dates through on peak. What if the Hilton changes the rates or something. I don't want to lose my reservation. So stressful lol.
Check in the time to do it. They don't want to move you if possible.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1787 on: Today at 09:51:51 PM »

Offline jristen

• Ballroom 20
  • stardust and stuff
  • Liked: 760
« Reply #1787 on: May 03, 2017, 04:55:17 PM »
You could do it sort of getting out of an apartment lease early? Like, you tell OnPeak you want to cancel, and you get all your money back... but only AFTER OnPeak has redistributed your room to someone on the waitlist.

You wouldn't be able to help friends that way, which is a drawback... but you also couldn't profit off the transfer since you'd never know the identity of the person your room was transferred to.

I think I would have to really know what percentage of transfers are done by scalpers/people profiting off of the transfer before I would know how stringent I would want the policy to be for cancellations/transfers. If 10% of the transfers are scalpers, I would support putting in more safeguards but probably not to the extent of having it be like an apartment lease.

That being said, I think it would be quite easy (and possibly helpful) if OnPeak made all reservations in their system non-transferable but then hotels could follow whatever process they normally have in regard to transfers, once the reservation is in their systems. That would definitely cut down on scalpers (riskier/lower return on investment) but still allow for situations like dkd mentioned.

Offline lawboysam

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 405
« Reply #1788 on: May 03, 2017, 05:38:14 PM »
But a twin is already two beds, so you were just changing the number of occupants.  It's tougher to change the number of beds because all the rooms have been allocated already.
Of course they do say that the number of beds is not guaranteed.
The hotel may be able to do something at check in if you get in early enough.

I changed two people/one bed to four people/two beds. Whichever that is. Like I said, they absolutely CAN do it, you just might have to be patient.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1789 on: May 03, 2017, 05:53:57 PM »
I changed two people/one bed to four people/two beds. Whichever that is. Like I said, they absolutely CAN do it, you just might have to be patient.
So one bed to two beds, then. 
As rooms get canceled onPeak probably has more flexibility in making a change.
I've done that in the past during the waitlist sale, trading in a double for a twin.
Also at MGH once they gave me the option of either one or two beds when I checked in, but I usually come in on Monday or Tuesday so there are more options available then.

Offline mllNY

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1089
« Reply #1790 on: May 03, 2017, 06:35:55 PM »
I see that reddit thread is gone and the user is deleted

The Cult of The Friends of Comic Con has struck AGAIN
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 06:40:30 PM by mllNY »
2023 Cons: Five Points Festival, SDCC, Toy Fair, NYCC, IX, PAX Unplugged

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #1791 on: May 03, 2017, 06:40:49 PM »

MWAHAHAHAHAHA
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline scottydizzy

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 106
« Reply #1792 on: May 03, 2017, 06:44:00 PM »
Curiosity question:
I didn't get an email on the 1st, but thanks to the Cult of FoCCI, was able to snag a great hotel and am now set.
I am hoping I still get awarded a hotel on the 8th so that I can pay it forward however, now that my name & email are associated to a reservation (and deposit charged to my CC), do you think I will be taken out of the May 8th 'sweepstakes'?

Will totally understand if I am, but really hoping to help someone else out if possible.

Appreciate any thoughts!

Cheers,
~S
Monsterpalooza - Burbank 2014-15, Pasadena 2016-19
Star Wars Celebration - L.A. 2007, Anaheim 2015
WonderCon - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 (L.A.), 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023
SDCC - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2022, 2023

Offline jristen

• Ballroom 20
  • stardust and stuff
  • Liked: 760
« Reply #1793 on: May 03, 2017, 06:52:25 PM »
Curiosity question:
I didn't get an email on the 1st, but thanks to the Cult of FoCCI, was able to snag a great hotel and am now set.
I am hoping I still get awarded a hotel on the 8th so that I can pay it forward however, now that my name & email are associated to a reservation (and deposit charged to my CC), do you think I will be taken out of the May 8th 'sweepstakes'?

Will totally understand if I am, but really hoping to help someone else out if possible.

Appreciate any thoughts!

Cheers,
~S

My speculation is that OnPeak is incapable of that kind of sorting so you'll probably get an email on Monday. But since this is the first year they've done it this way, we will all be learning together!

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #1794 on: May 03, 2017, 06:56:56 PM »
Curiosity question:

Appreciate any thoughts!

Cheers,
~S
We are all here to help each other out. Happy to hear you are all set and looking forward to helping out someone in need.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #1795 on: May 03, 2017, 06:58:09 PM »
Curiosity question:

Appreciate any thoughts!

Cheers,
~S
There's no way to really know how onPeak is going to handle this situation.

They seem to be sticklers about duplicates and questioned me when I transferred a room into my name even though I already had a reservation pending.
I just explained to the CSR that I wasn't going to put a deposit on the other room and would most likely offer it to a friend or give it back.
He didn't seem to have a problem with that.

I'm not sure if they will still offer you a room if you already have one though.  This is definitely a wait and see.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #1796 on: May 03, 2017, 07:02:27 PM »

If you need access to the thread..... ;)

I have it still open.

Curiosity question:

Appreciate any thoughts!

Cheers,
~S

The same happened to me. So what I did was change the email and phone number. Plus I went with Jon instead of Jonathan. So hopefully no duplicate.

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #1797 on: May 03, 2017, 07:05:46 PM »
I received a room from jristen... but the info I used was different then what I used for the hotel lottery.
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline SDCCgal2015

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #1798 on: May 03, 2017, 07:13:02 PM »
I feel like a maniac I keep checking to see if anyone sends me and message from the exchange board I guess it cause I have nothing better to do since where I live in Midwest has turned into an island from the flooding

Offline cbaggs

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 92
« Reply #1799 on: May 03, 2017, 07:28:34 PM »
Curiosity question:

Appreciate any thoughts!

Cheers,
~S

The same happened to me. So what I did was change the email and phone number. Plus I went with Jon instead of Jonathan. So hopefully no duplicate.

I'm wondering the same thing [member=415]scottydizzy[/member].  And I did the same thing you did [member=4284]Jonathan[/member] just to be safe.  I gave a different email address and phone number when I took the transferred room, although both my request during hotelpocalypse and my transferred room have my actual name on them.  So we'll see what happens!