Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293489 times)

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #1845 on: May 05, 2017, 12:24:24 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just had a very interesting conversation with an OnPeak representative. Now, take this with a grain of salt, of course - because we've been given wrong or contradictory information from reps before. But it IS interesting enough to report here...

I explained that I was one of the people who was let into the form immediately (like, the first 30 seconds), but I didn't get any kind of confirmation email last Monday. I told him I had seen posts by people who were let in quite a bit after me, but got one of the hotels that was in my top six list. I asked if there was any way he could check to make sure my email address was correct, as I had been a bit panicky this week that I had typed it wrong - because it didn't make sense to me that I didn't get an email.

Anyway, he told me not to worry. He said that the split of notifications of the 1st and the 8th was arbitrary - and strictly for them to be able to handle / process things on their end - and that I should get my notification on the 8th.

I asked him: "So is there a possibility I might still  get my first choice downtown hotel, but be notified in the second round?" - to which he said "Yes".

So I then asked him: "So are you saying that whether you are notified on the 1st or the 8th doesn't really mean anything - like, it doesn't imply that people notified on the 1st were the fastest into the form, the first reservations processed, more likely got their top picks etc..."

He said "Correct".

As I said, take this with a grain of salt....but it might ease the minds of others in the same boat as me (until Monday at least, when we'll see for sure).

Thanks for sharing that. I really hope so, in any event I think it's worth collecting things we've been told by onpeak and compare those to how things shake out.

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #1846 on: May 05, 2017, 12:36:37 PM »
That's a  very interesting report, Shadows! I hope it plays out like that on Monday. REgardless, it will be interesting to see the trends between the two notification dates!

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1847 on: Today at 09:57:40 PM »

Offline Shadows

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #1847 on: May 05, 2017, 12:46:38 PM »
The more I think about it, the more it makes sense to me.

The speculation that they were going to somehow shuffle around and re-allocate things for the "second round" of emails on the 8th, based on who did or didn't pay their deposit by today didn't seem plausible to me. Unless a lot of OnPeak people were going to work all weekend, there just doesn't seem to be enough time to execute this re-processing and re-allocation. (Consider the number of days they needed for the first allocation).

Also, historically, the credit card deposit date hasn't been a "hard date" - with people being able to still work out issues and secure their reservations at least a day or two after the deadline.

Sooooo......it may very well be that we should just think of the two email dates this year (the 1st and the 8th) almost as if they are just one single day, and one "first-round" notification cycle - with OnPeak just splitting the notifications so that THEY can handle things on their end. The split may just turn out to be something weird like alphabetical, or geographical, or something.

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #1848 on: May 05, 2017, 01:15:45 PM »
I originally left the thread, but totally got brought back because of the Reddit drama.  WOW. ???

Anyway, I'm looking forward to how things shake out on Monday with that new bit of information.

Offline RustyPonds

• Gaming Lounge
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #1849 on: May 05, 2017, 01:17:39 PM »
I just had a very interesting conversation with an OnPeak representative. Now, take this with a grain of salt, of course - because we've been given wrong or contradictory information from reps before. But it IS interesting enough to report here...

As I said, take this with a grain of salt....but it might ease the minds of others in the same boat as me (until Monday at least, when we'll see for sure).

I don't know. I feel like the biggest trick OnPeak ever played was convincing us that they know what they're talking about...  :D >:( :'(

Offline Angie

• Ballroom 20
    • The NerdyGirl's Blog
  • Liked: 200
« Reply #1850 on: May 05, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »
Wasn't there some sort of conclusion that people who got in  the first 2 minutes got emails on Monday? I honestly have only seen bits and pieces on twitter, so correct me if I'm wrong. But I didn't see anyone who had later time get an email.

If thats true, and if what you heard from onpeak is true, wouldn't that mean the people who got in the first 2 minutes and did not get emailed Monday will be the "other half" on 5/8?

I don't know, and I am just speculating (and not trying to scare anyone). I am trying to make sense of a situation that does not make sense LOL

Offline jristen

• Ballroom 20
  • stardust and stuff
  • Liked: 760
« Reply #1851 on: May 05, 2017, 01:37:01 PM »
OnPeak seems to have a tenuous relationship with what happens in reality so I'm interested to see what will happen on Monday. I would say though, that if it was completely arbitrary, we should've seen more Mission Valley/Shuttle route hotels than we did. The fact that we saw very few/if any makes me think that there had to have been some time/priority element in play.

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #1852 on: May 05, 2017, 01:39:13 PM »

He said "Correct".

I still have a big grain of salt. Maybe some of it was arbitrary, but arbitrary doesn't mean random.  Maybe they didn't contact everyone, but the people they did contact did tend to get downtown hotels. 

But, what they told you certainly leaves me with a feeling that they still aren't following strict set of rules the way we think they do.

Offline Shadows

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #1853 on: May 05, 2017, 01:53:22 PM »
Wasn't there some sort of conclusion that people who got in  the first 2 minutes got emails on Monday?

OK, but there were also MANY people who for sure got in within the first minute who didn't get emails.

I saw lots of posts of people whose time was later than mine (some a minute or more later), who got a hotel that was in my top 6.

Offline saban

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #1854 on: May 05, 2017, 02:18:30 PM »
I guess we'll just have to wait until Monday to see.  I'd like to think that On Peak has some sort of idea of what they're doing but I doubt it.

TravT77

« Reply #1855 on: May 05, 2017, 02:26:20 PM »
Yeah, to paraphrase Vizzini, I would never trust an OnPeak rep when cash is on the line.
Nothing to add here. Just had to pay my respects to the PB ref! Love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #1856 on: May 05, 2017, 02:27:57 PM »
Called and updated my reservation (very easy). Went to double check it, but it says I can't alter it (which I don't want to), but I can't even look at it to see if the Room mate names are correct. Is everyone seeing that, or should I be concerned?
Ang

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #1857 on: May 05, 2017, 02:31:41 PM »
Called and updated my reservation (very easy). Went to double check it, but it says I can't alter it (which I don't want to), but I can't even look at it to see if the Room mate names are correct. Is everyone seeing that, or should I be concerned?

I just logged in and saw the same message, with no ability to see any details. 
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #1858 on: May 05, 2017, 02:33:25 PM »
I just logged in and saw the same message, with no ability to see any details.
That's what I thought. I did see a mention of it in the thread, but wasn't sure if it was the same thing. Whew!! Thanks for looking it up!
Ang

Offline marcia29

• Supporter
  • Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 1292
« Reply #1859 on: May 05, 2017, 02:36:37 PM »
That's what I thought. I did see a mention of it in the thread, but wasn't sure if it was the same thing. Whew!! Thanks for looking it up!

Keeping up with OP is def a group effort!   :)
It is 2024, and I am still asking...where's my flyin' car??!! @fannishmarcia