Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293501 times)

Offline spritegirl24_7

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 96
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #1875 on: May 06, 2017, 04:14:36 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I just had a very interesting conversation with an OnPeak representative. Now, take this with a grain of salt, of course - because we've been given wrong or contradictory information from reps before. But it IS interesting enough to report here...

I explained that I was one of the people who was let into the form immediately (like, the first 30 seconds), but I didn't get any kind of confirmation email last Monday. I told him I had seen posts by people who were let in quite a bit after me, but got one of the hotels that was in my top six list. I asked if there was any way he could check to make sure my email address was correct, as I had been a bit panicky this week that I had typed it wrong - because it didn't make sense to me that I didn't get an email.

Anyway, he told me not to worry. He said that the split of notifications of the 1st and the 8th was arbitrary - and strictly for them to be able to handle / process things on their end - and that I should get my notification on the 8th.

I asked him: "So is there a possibility I might still  get my first choice downtown hotel, but be notified in the second round?" - to which he said "Yes".

So I then asked him: "So are you saying that whether you are notified on the 1st or the 8th doesn't really mean anything - like, it doesn't imply that people notified on the 1st were the fastest into the form, the first reservations processed, more likely got their top picks etc..."

He said "Correct".

As I said, take this with a grain of salt....but it might ease the minds of others in the same boat as me (until Monday at least, when we'll see for sure).

Definitely taking it with a grain of salt, but thanks so much for sharing this info. You've given me a little bit of renewed hope for Monday.  :)

Offline fborrego79

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #1876 on: May 06, 2017, 07:26:33 AM »
It is interesting. Originally I thought that the 2 dates would help with getting more people something from their list. The people from the first group may have unused rooms could go to the second group. If that is not the case, then emails for hotels will be going out not only on Monday but all the way to the 18th... that may make the process more nerve racking for anyone who has not gotten a hotel yet.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #1877 on: Today at 11:56:58 PM »

Offline kiddo235

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #1877 on: May 06, 2017, 08:59:34 AM »
Thought I'd share another story about a deposit that wasn't made on time but this was on purpose. 

An acquaintance of a friend of mine had a group of people that all received Hilton Bayfront reservations.  They didn't get them together, but separately.  One of the extra Bayfront reservations went to my group and we were very grateful.  But I just heard yesterday that a couple of their other friends that received a Bayfront reservation just decided that they are no longer going to Comic con (I guess they didn't have badges either). 

They obviously didn't even realize what they had or were just too selfish to realize that there were plenty of people that would have taken that reservation, their own friends, my friends, people on the forum, etc.  They didn't even try to give it to someone else before the time lapsed.  So it just went back into the pot. 

Now some people will say that's "fair" and how this whole process works.  I say it just gives us an example of people who are going to Comic con who aren't REALLY going to Comic con.  People who aren't as invested in what's happening there as those of us who are attending. 

I'm not sure how this whole group of friends who didn't even submit forms together all got the Bayfront, but someone will benefit from this on Monday and who knows how many other people just let their top hotel reservations lapse. 

"Always said I wanted to work in Hollywood...I should have been more specific."

Offline Mike223

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1878 on: May 06, 2017, 09:10:59 AM »
Curious when they would release emails on May 8th.

Offline rabbitwarren

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 399
« Reply #1879 on: May 06, 2017, 09:37:37 AM »
Def. sucks that happened, but I will say this: due to attending SDCC, the con taught me to never ever fool around when planning a trip for it. You either do it right away or don't bother. Btw, this is why you should always have a plan B, because things do happen. Just my opinion. Not trying to sound harsh, just why did this friend take so long? I would understand if life got in the way, but if not? Yeah...

No kidding. I'm currently on a cruise and I paid for an exorbitant internet package, even with my Mifi device, because I wanted to make sure I could submit my deposit just in case the period happened while I was in an area with a spotty signal.  (I didn't trust my brother, who is my roommate, to do it).

Offline chirigami

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 74
« Reply #1880 on: May 06, 2017, 12:48:17 PM »
A bit belated (and I am too lazy to go find my other post) but thank you guys for the replies about the possible room downgrade situation ~ hopefully it'll go smoothly if the situation calls for it.  Now to just wait for Monday ~

Offline Webdude007

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #1881 on: May 06, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »
I requested 2 rooms in the lottery as did others in my group. 

IF, after we get the May 8 results, we want to give away the sets of two rooms, what is the protocol?

Do I add each room twice into the spreadsheet and then note that the two are linked? Or do I add one entry into the spreadsheet and make a note that it covers 2 rooms?  If there's a way to give away both rooms to different groups that need it, that would better than having one group take one of the rooms and letting the other room go back into the pool.  Thoughts?

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #1882 on: May 06, 2017, 01:25:30 PM »
I requested 2 rooms in the lottery as did others in my group. 

IF, after we get the May 8 results, we want to give away the sets of two rooms, what is the protocol?

Do I add each room twice into the spreadsheet and then note that the two are linked? Or do I add one entry into the spreadsheet and make a note that it covers 2 rooms?  If there's a way to give away both rooms to different groups that need it, that would better than having one group take one of the rooms and letting the other room go back into the pool.  Thoughts?

Block hotel reservations (ie. more than one room in a single reservation) can be assigned to individual people and then become theirs and they receive a separate log-in credentials. So I'd put them up separately, because it seems pretty easy this year.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #1883 on: May 06, 2017, 01:45:27 PM »
No kidding. I'm currently on a cruise and I paid for an exorbitant internet package, even with my Mifi device, because I wanted to make sure I could submit my deposit just in case the period happened while I was in an area with a spotty signal.  (I didn't trust my brother, who is my roommate, to do it).
Enjoy the cruise. Sorry to hear you had to pay into the high price for connectivity.
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline dkd

• Hall H
  • Liked: 632
« Reply #1884 on: May 07, 2017, 06:03:40 AM »
Curious when they would release emails on May 8th.

I would think about the same time they did on May 1st.

I sense the level of tension isn't nearly the same around here that it was at this time last week. 

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #1885 on: May 07, 2017, 07:19:51 AM »
I would think about the same time they did on May 1st.

I sense the level of tension isn't nearly the same around here that it was at this time last week.

Most people have probably either accepted their fate or secured a hotel in the exchange.  Without a hotel from the exchange I'd be freaking out.

Offline Michaelnaut

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • The artist formerly known as 'Michael M'
    • LinkedIn
  • Liked: 1885
« Reply #1886 on: May 07, 2017, 08:05:35 AM »
I just had a very interesting conversation with an OnPeak representative. Now, take this with a grain of salt, of course - because we've been given wrong or contradictory information from reps before. But it IS interesting enough to report here...

I explained that I was one of the people who was let into the form immediately (like, the first 30 seconds), but I didn't get any kind of confirmation email last Monday. I told him I had seen posts by people who were let in quite a bit after me, but got one of the hotels that was in my top six list. I asked if there was any way he could check to make sure my email address was correct, as I had been a bit panicky this week that I had typed it wrong - because it didn't make sense to me that I didn't get an email.

Anyway, he told me not to worry. He said that the split of notifications of the 1st and the 8th was arbitrary - and strictly for them to be able to handle / process things on their end - and that I should get my notification on the 8th.

I asked him: "So is there a possibility I might still  get my first choice downtown hotel, but be notified in the second round?" - to which he said "Yes".

So I then asked him: "So are you saying that whether you are notified on the 1st or the 8th doesn't really mean anything - like, it doesn't imply that people notified on the 1st were the fastest into the form, the first reservations processed, more likely got their top picks etc..."

He said "Correct".

As I said, take this with a grain of salt....but it might ease the minds of others in the same boat as me (until Monday at least, when we'll see for sure).
Re-reading this again, and it's a tough one to comprehend here...why delay a response to those that got in to the form as soon as possible?

The only thing I can think of is that OP slices up all the responses, say, CSR1 gets those from 9:00:00 to 9:00:10, CSR2 gets 9:00:11 to 9:00:20, and so on, and all the CSRs send out their responses that they can get to by May 1.  And then, between May 1 and May 8th, all the CSRs catch up to what they can.  But that just means that you may possibly delay getting a response to somebody that got in early enough to get something on their list, a whole extra week.  Where's the logic in that?

Oh, I said the 'L' word when dealing with Hotelpocalypse...my bad ;)
"I am serious...and don't call me Shirley"

Offline gobbieboom

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 50
« Reply #1887 on: May 07, 2017, 04:14:22 PM »
I've been set for the MMM since Monday, but I'm still feeling on the panicked side for tomorrow. Mainly because, even with that OP report, I'm perplexed as to how things are going to work out.

Offline Fazermint

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 48
« Reply #1888 on: May 07, 2017, 04:28:15 PM »
Most people have probably either accepted their fate or secured a hotel in the exchange.  Without a hotel from the exchange I'd be freaking out.

I got a hotel through the exchange, THANK YOU KIND BOARD MEMBER. Since I got in at 9:03:28, I knew I had no chance at the first email, but I'm really wondering if I have a chance at the second one. (If I do, I'll definitely pass it on to a board member.) Although, it seems to me that there are tons of people who got in faster than I did, and are still waiting for their emails. So... There's always the waitlist.  :P

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #1889 on: May 07, 2017, 04:30:33 PM »
I've been set for the MMM since Monday, but I'm still feeling on the panicked side for tomorrow. Mainly because, even with that OP report, I'm perplexed as to how things are going to work out.

Don't panic. You're in this with all of us. We're here for support.