Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293482 times)

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #2070 on: May 08, 2017, 12:00:16 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It almost feels like they chose a bunch of people's forms at random and put them at the farthest hotels without taking their selections into consideration :\  We're still waiting on two more confirmations on my end.  But, I'm losing hope and gaining more frustration and annoyance at this system.

Honestly this is what it sounds like.  I'd say about 80% (stat pulled from my butt, don't quote this as fact please) seem to be fitting a pattern but a good chunk seem to be completely outside of any discernible pattern.  For example, last week there was a number of people that got placed in MMM with really later than 9:05.  But people who were under 9:05 and had MMM on their top 6 (like me) got a room not on their list.  Now this week it seems people who were in the 9:01 time stamp have been shoved out to MV or Old Town or Coronado while people with later time stamps got downtown hotels.  If they are using a computer algorithm for this, something went wonky.  If they are sorting it by hand (doubtful) then they are clearly making lots of human errors with certain submission chunks.

My stats are pulled from my butt but it's based on observations from both here and Twitter.

TravT77

« Reply #2071 on: May 08, 2017, 12:00:30 PM »
I was just under 3 minutes and got Mission Valley Sheraton. I already had a MV room so I was prepared for the drive in anyways, so at least I'll save a little money this way.

Should I hold out to see if an exchange member offers a DT room?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2072 on: Today at 07:29:02 PM »

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2072 on: May 08, 2017, 12:01:27 PM »
I was just under 3 minutes and got Mission Valley Sheraton. I already had a MV room so I was prepared for the drive in anyways, so at least I'll save a little money this way.

I would!

Offline automatic

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #2073 on: May 08, 2017, 12:03:51 PM »
Has anyone heard about any request being flagged as a duplicate?
how would one know that their request was flagged as a duplicate? do you get an email, etc?

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2074 on: May 08, 2017, 12:05:01 PM »
how would one know that their request was flagged as a duplicate? do you get an email, etc?

Yes, in the past, duplicates were notified.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #2075 on: May 08, 2017, 12:05:17 PM »
Also I just want to make a friendly reminder, please try to not double-post as it's been a bit rampant in this thread (not aiming this at anyone because there's been quite a few users.) There is a modify option and if you ping @[username] even in an edit, I have personally received the notice still, so that's an option. However, the thread is moving pretty quickly right now so it should be fine for the most part!

--

Uggg..I am desperate. Please send me a message if you have a room at the Marriott Marquis & Marina or another downtown hotel like that. I would be happy to help you out in anyway possible as well so send a message if you have a reservation you won't be using. PLEASE!

[member=4492]mikenjaz209[/member]

Edit: Sorry I think you'd already did the following @.@ I misread your username and thought you hadn't. However, the following still applies to other people who haven't already! Good luck mikenjaz209. I recommend that you edit your form entry (through the link you should've received to the e-mail you used) that you'd take other DT hotels, because that can help you receive offers if you're not too specific.

Please read through: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for the Hotel Exchange instructions and then post your request into the form to be added to the request form.

There is also an Offers list: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login to look through to send a PM asking about a room for offer. However, I don't believe the offer list will be available to add to until later.

Generally requests for hotels should be kept to the designated sub-forum.

I was wrong.  I just got my email.  I didn't get top 6, nor downtown.  My request for "closest to convention center" resulted in Old Town, 4.1 miles away without shuttle.  Glad someone gave me MMM last week.

Because of IE, can't estimate when I got in.  Best guess was 3-3 1/2 minutes.

Is it even worth offering this in the exchange?

[member=3221]dkd[/member]

I would absolutely offer it. There will probably be a point where it's fairly obvious that people are out of luck in terms of getting a downtown/gaslamp hotel. As such, people may want to lock down a non-downtown hotel room before the re-sale opens just to get it over with. It's always worth a try, I believe.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 12:23:55 PM by Iris_aya »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline JennyP

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2076 on: May 08, 2017, 12:05:26 PM »
Got my email for Best Western PLUS in Old Town. Luckily, my friend got our first choice last week. Crazy to see the difference of about 30 seconds. Would there be any interest, or should I just let it go?

Offline DRWHO42

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
    • FoCC Blog
  • Liked: 1750
« Reply #2077 on: May 08, 2017, 12:07:45 PM »
Honestly this is what it sounds like.  I'd say about 80% (stat pulled from my butt, don't quote this as fact please) seem to be fitting a pattern but a good chunk seem to be completely outside of any discernible pattern.  For example, last week there was a number of people that got placed in MMM with really later than 9:05.  But people who were under 9:05 and had MMM on their top 6 (like me) got a room not on their list.  Now this week it seems people who were in the 9:01 time stamp have been shoved out to MV or Old Town or Coronado while people with later time stamps got downtown hotels.  If they are using a computer algorithm for this, something went wonky.  If they are sorting it by hand (doubtful) then they are clearly making lots of human errors with certain submission chunks.

My stats are pulled from my butt but it's based on observations from both here and Twitter.
Even if it is not officially confirmed there is something weird within the OP 'black box'. There are some definite "anomalies" or patterns which boggle the mind. 
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 12:09:53 PM by DRWHO42 »
Time and Relative Dimension in Space - 'TARDIS' for short

Editor-in-Chief of the FoCC Blog

Offline NCDS

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 4557
« Reply #2078 on: May 08, 2017, 12:08:27 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are willing to take any downtown hotel it will increase your chances.  Let's face it anything downtown is an upgrade from MV.
2018 Punk Rock Bowling Champion

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #2079 on: May 08, 2017, 12:08:50 PM »
Got my email for Best Western PLUS in Old Town. Luckily, my friend got our first choice last week. Crazy to see the difference of about 30 seconds. Would there be any interest, or should I just let it go?
[member=4347]JennyP[/member]

I said this above but it applies to you as well:

I would absolutely offer it. There will probably be a point where it's fairly obvious that people are out of luck in terms of getting a downtown/gaslamp hotel. As such, people may want to lock down a non-downtown hotel room before the re-sale opens just to get it over with. It's always worth a try, I believe.
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline automatic

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 10
« Reply #2080 on: May 08, 2017, 12:08:56 PM »
minus whale offer it up -  you have this week to make a choice, right?

Offline Resin

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 73
« Reply #2081 on: May 08, 2017, 12:09:25 PM »
I got my first pick last week, but my roommates just got their emails for "Best Western Palms" and "Hacienda Old Town." We all had the same top 6.

Not sure on entry times but I believe they got in at 9:02-03 or later.

Offline marvelmorris

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #2082 on: May 08, 2017, 12:11:30 PM »
Received my OnPeak email today.  Entered the form between 9:01-9:02 and submitted the form between 9:05-9:06.  I received my 3rd choice, the Marriott Marina Marquis (King Bed). 

Offline v1ral

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 25
« Reply #2083 on: May 08, 2017, 12:12:08 PM »
Yea, got my email! I got the Manchester Grand Hyatt, never stayed there before and it was further down on my list. But I'm excited, I've heard it's nice.  :D

Offline foxbatkllr

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 175
« Reply #2084 on: May 08, 2017, 12:13:02 PM »
Yea, got my email! I got the Manchester Grand Hyatt, never stayed there before and it was further down on my list. But I'm excited, I've heard it's nice.  :D

Congrats.  It is a nice hotel.  You should be very happy with it.