Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293527 times)

Offline BunkeyBrain

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 22
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #2175 on: May 08, 2017, 03:57:28 PM »
I've never been on the waitlist before and am curious how it works. If you're placed in one of your top hotels, are you taken off the list, or are you still waitlisted for the hotels you listed as higher preferences? In other words, if you got your 6th choice, are you waitlisted for your 1st?

I called OnPeak and asked this question, and they answered yes, but it seems like it would be a huge ordeal to bump up everybody to their first choice.

Does anyone have experience with this? In my case, I got placed in one of the non-downtown hotels I listed (although I entered the form at 9:01), so I'm trying to figure out if I'm out of luck for a downtown option.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline straightline3

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 66
« Reply #2176 on: May 08, 2017, 04:05:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've never been on the waitlist before and am curious how it works. If you're placed in one of your top hotels, are you taken off the list, or are you still waitlisted for the hotels you listed as higher preferences? In other words, if you got your 6th choice, are you waitlisted for your 1st?

I called OnPeak and asked this question, and they answered yes, but it seems like it would be a huge ordeal to bump up everybody to their first choice.

Does anyone have experience with this? In my case, I got placed in one of the non-downtown hotels I listed (although I entered the form at 9:01), so I'm trying to figure out if I'm out of luck for a downtown option.

In years past, when it's your turn on the waistlist, within the OP site, you have access to a protected buying webpage that shows realtime inventory of all their hotels. And I was NOT limited to just the hotels on my original list. Also I'm sure the topic was covered at length in this forum.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2177 on: Today at 07:25:41 AM »

Offline jnyama

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #2177 on: May 08, 2017, 04:06:05 PM »
Yes, as long as you selected the waitlist option when you did the request.

Thanks!  I'm sure I checked waitlist, since I was pretty sure that was where I was headed by that time.  I just checked and actually this hotel including parking ends up to be more than my crappy backup hotel, so I guess now I have to figure out whether I want to accept it to stay on the waitlist and risk getting stuck with the deposit if the waitlist doesn't come out until after it's non-refundable...

Offline highgiant

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 83
« Reply #2178 on: May 08, 2017, 04:07:38 PM »
Thanks!  I'm sure I checked waitlist, since I was pretty sure that was where I was headed by that time.  I just checked and actually this hotel including parking ends up to be more than my crappy backup hotel, so I guess now I have to figure out whether I want to accept it to stay on the waitlist and risk getting stuck with the deposit if the waitlist doesn't come out until after it's non-refundable...

it's not an option to let it lapse is it? (sounds from your comment like if you do you don't remain on the waitlist?)

Offline AJComicCon

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2179 on: May 08, 2017, 04:11:56 PM »
Any advice on if the Renaissance DT or Wyndham Bayside is better? Ended up with those two as options in our room pool, but haven't stayed at either before.

Offline Dubb

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 316
« Reply #2180 on: May 08, 2017, 04:17:06 PM »
The Hilton San Diego Bayfront (right next to the convention center) has been booked 20 times in the last hour.

For an eye watering $5770 total for 4 nights stay (wednesday to sunday)

The SDCC hype is real.

I don't think the number of times booking sites report a hotel has been booked in the past hour necessarily means those exact dates someone is currently looking at.

Offline jnyama

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #2181 on: May 08, 2017, 04:20:53 PM »

it's not an option to let it lapse is it? (sounds from your comment like if you do you don't remain on the waitlist?)
I'm not sure?  I will probably try to call them this week to ask.

Offline EscoBlades

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #2182 on: May 08, 2017, 04:24:43 PM »
I don't think the number of times booking sites report a hotel has been booked in the past hour necessarily means those exact dates someone is currently looking at.

Very true, although the number jumped very quickly within that specific timeframe, for the date range selected. Educated guess was that it was as a result of Hotelpocalypse emails and shuffling around, etc

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #2183 on: May 08, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »
OnPeak just booked me and my two friends in a room at the Bay Club at Shelter Island for 4 nights, even though it wasn't even on my list of hotels. Has to be by far the WORST hotel reservation I've ever gotten. The Bay Club is the furthest hotel from the convention center as possible, so far away, remote and in the middle of nowhere, that there are NO affordable restaurants in the area to eat at (Sorry I can't afford to pay $30 for breakfast and $80 for dinner eating at the club restaurant), and you have to drive at least 30 minutes in order to get anywhere close to civilization (restaurants, stores, etc). Its equivalent of being banished to Siberia...the shuttle bus ride from hotel to CC will take well over 90 minutes. To top that off, we got booked in a room with ONLY ONE BED, even though I specifically requested TWO BEDS on my hotel order form. How the hell are 3 guys going to fit in a one bed room? Very very Unhappy with this reservation. Hoping we can be put on the wait list for a better hotel situation preferably downtown  or even hotel circle WITH TWO BEDS. I'm seriously considering cancelling the reservation and going on Priceline to see what's out there.  >:( :-X

Why is this hotel even part of the SDCC hotel block? I mean, at least Old Town is within trolley distance and the airport is a short drive/shuttle, but this is so darn far and disconnected from everything.  Why is this a thing.

I hope someone swoops in the save you because wow.  I'm sorry dude.

Offline LB42

• Supporter
  • Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 181
« Reply #2184 on: May 08, 2017, 04:37:20 PM »
Any advice on if the Renaissance DT or Wyndham Bayside is better? Ended up with those two as options in our room pool, but haven't stayed at either before.
So you can walk from the Renaissance, (formerly W)  but ...it was tough for us.  The distance isn't the issue, rather the quality of the walk, past the detention center etc.  For a female, particularly in costume, it can be tough. Bayside is also a hike, but you can stick by the water and come up along the back side of the convention center. If you are committed to riding the shuttle - then its a wash.  On balance - I liked Bayside better - but its a close close close call. I suggest you read all the reviews on FoCC for both hotels and decide what's important to you. 

Offline nedoeht3705

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #2185 on: May 08, 2017, 04:39:02 PM »
Quick question, I got an offer in the first round but was a bit out of my price range and decided to wait for round 2. It looks like I was unsuccessful,do I need to resubmit my request?

Online alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7002
« Reply #2186 on: May 08, 2017, 04:41:04 PM »
Quick question, I got an offer in the first round but was a bit out of my price range and decided to wait for round 2. It looks like I was unsuccessful,do I need to resubmit my request?
yes the 'I want a room' sheet was cleared
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5

Offline BunkeyBrain

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 22
« Reply #2187 on: May 08, 2017, 04:53:49 PM »
In years past, when it's your turn on the waistlist, within the OP site, you have access to a protected buying webpage that shows realtime inventory of all their hotels. And I was NOT limited to just the hotels on my original list. Also I'm sure the topic was covered at length in this forum.
Thank you! That's really helpful.

Offline saban

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #2188 on: May 08, 2017, 05:00:12 PM »

I stayed at Bayside and it was nice.  It's a bit of a walk but it's straight all the way.  The room was nice, parking was never an issue and there's a shuttle stop right there.

Offline ToryRoxx

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #2189 on: May 08, 2017, 05:18:08 PM »
How do you know if you were put on the waitlist besides knowing that you clicked put me on waitlist on the form ?