Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293432 times)

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #2580 on: May 15, 2017, 11:22:55 AM »
[member=5681]sessionka[/member] we don't know what the minus sign means, but there have always been a few hotels listed with negative numbers.

Offline ToryRoxx

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 30
« Reply #2581 on: May 15, 2017, 11:24:41 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I've stayed at Hotel Circle before, it's been a while though but I doubt much has changed about it from my experience. I love being in the Gaslamp, of course, but it's not bad at all. Depending on where you are in the hotel shuttle order, it could possibly be "worse." If you're staying there, I'd look at the shuttle list in advance and determine where you are in the order and plan according.

For instance, my hotel was the last stop before it went straight to the Convention Center. That meant I was on the shuttle and the trip was significantly less than some people who had gotten on earlier. So I didn't need to plan as much how early I needed to be to make sure I got there when I wanted. That also meant that I was the last in the order in terms of going from the convention center to my hotel. I personally didn't mind the like 2x length of time to get back in comparison to getting to the center, because I was usually exhausted anyway so it didn't matter too much to me.

We had cars with us too, so we were able to hop over to restaurants etc. and there were also restaurants around the hotels too. (Mine had one like 20 feet from our room and it was actually really good.) But you might want to look into whether your Hotel Circle hotel has free parking or paid parking (and if they guarantee at least 1 parking spot per room.) Mine did that year, not sure if that's changed, so it was easy.
Well right now im at an impass we have a reservation at Quality inn Downtown North . Its not perfect but its downtown and includes breakfast. Today i made a res. For Doubletree in Hotel Circle w/ breakfast and parking.We'll have a car and we already have parking reserved for near the convention center. So right now just trying to debate whether i should keep doubltree or quality inn  . . . Ugggg hotels are the worst part  of Sdcc reservations.  Its my first time going so i need good advice

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2582 on: Today at 08:54:54 AM »

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #2582 on: May 15, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »
[member=5681]sessionka[/member]

That shows up every year and I don't think it's ever been confirmed that it's overbooking or what it really is. I don't think anyone's ever ran into an issue with them overbooking for a room if you got it through the official lottery. At least, not that I know of.

(btw I believe you accidentally put your question "What does a minus number mean in the inventory.  Are they overbooking?" inside the quoted section. It has definitely happened to me before lol Particularly, I find, if you add the quote from the reply page.)

Edit: Hopefully you see this [member=6577]ToryRoxx[/member]

Well right now im at an impass we have a reservation at Quality inn Downtown North . Its not perfect but its downtown and includes breakfast. Today i made a res. For Doubletree in Hotel Circle w/ breakfast and parking.We'll have a car and we already have parking reserved for near the convention center. So right now just trying to debate whether i should keep doubltree or quality inn  . . . Ugggg hotels are the worst part  of Sdcc reservations.  Its my first time going so i need good advice

I took a look at last year's shuttle list and approx. times (which you can find here): You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

There is typically a shared shuttle stop at Union & Cedar I believe and that's ~10 minutes walking then ~8 minutes to the convention center on the shuttle. So hopefully that helps you decide a bit! Some people like a bit of a walk in the morning before the convention, to get moving and sometimes to pick up some things (that's mainly the Gaslamp though.) I'm not familiar with that specific area of Downtown your hotel is in so I don't know what all would be around it or on the walk to the potential shuttle stop.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:43:35 AM by Iris_aya »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline SteveD

• Administrator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1680
« Reply #2583 on: May 15, 2017, 11:33:10 AM »
There seems to be an issue quoting my spoilers on this version of the forum.  The text gets truncated before the table and spoiler end tags, thus breaking the quote.

It seems best not to include the large table when quoting if possible.

Offline rushfanyyz

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 211
« Reply #2584 on: May 15, 2017, 11:34:14 AM »
I've stayed at Hotel Circle before, it's been a while though but I doubt much has changed about it from my experience. I love being in the Gaslamp, of course, but it's not bad at all. Depending on where you are in the hotel shuttle order, it could possibly be "worse." If you're staying there, I'd look at the shuttle list in advance and determine where you are in the order and plan according.

For instance, my hotel was the last stop before it went straight to the Convention Center. That meant I was on the shuttle and the trip was significantly less than some people who had gotten on earlier. So I didn't need to plan as much how early I needed to be to make sure I got there when I wanted. That also meant that I was the last in the order in terms of going from the convention center to my hotel. I personally didn't mind the like 2x length of time to get back in comparison to getting to the center, because I was usually exhausted anyway so it didn't matter too much to me.

We had cars with us too, so we were able to hop over to restaurants etc. and there were also restaurants around the hotels too. (Mine had one like 20 feet from our room and it was actually really good.) But you might want to look into whether your Hotel Circle hotel has free parking or paid parking (and if they guarantee at least 1 parking spot per room.) Mine did that year, not sure if that's changed, so it was easy.

I stayed there last year (as well as previous years) and it is still the same and I noticed personally that they seemed to run more shuttles than a few years ago. Not much of a wait and especially if you are heading out early like most of us do the traffic hardly impacts the shuttle driving to the convention center.  Ditto on the driving back, I was always so exhausted I took the ride back in comfy seats as no big deal even if it took a little longer. It's not downtown of course but you will still have a great comic con.

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #2585 on: May 15, 2017, 11:35:08 AM »
[member=5681]sessionka[/member]

That shows up every year and I don't think it's ever been confirmed that it's overbooking or what it really is. I don't think anyone's ever ran into an issue with them overbooking for a room if you got it through the official lottery. At least, not that I know of.

(btw I believe you accidentally put your question "What does a minus number mean in the inventory.  Are they overbooking?" inside the quoted section. It has definitely happened to me before lol Particularly, I find, if you add the quote from the reply page.)

Thanks for the editing tip...    :) :)
Phasers on Stun!!!

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
« Reply #2586 on: May 15, 2017, 11:35:18 AM »
Actually, not to be a downer, but I have heard stories in the past years of people who had confirmed reservations downtown who showed up and was told that the hotel was overbooked and they had run out of rooms. And then they've been shunted to something out of downtown.

However, the few stories I have heard like this all involved people who arrived late Thursday or on Friday. So as long as you're checking in by Wednesday evening, I don't think that's an issue.

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #2587 on: May 15, 2017, 11:46:23 AM »
Actually, not to be a downer, but I have heard stories in the past years of people who had confirmed reservations downtown who showed up and was told that the hotel was overbooked and they had run out of rooms. And then they've been shunted to something out of downtown.

However, the few stories I have heard like this all involved people who arrived late Thursday or on Friday. So as long as you're checking in by Wednesday evening, I don't think that's an issue.

Oh wow @.@ Maybe I haven't been paying enough attention to the current year's hotel thread after the con ends to see it. We check-in Thursday most years (I live in North County SD so we often stay at my place if we're not doing Preview Night) and we've never had an issue the years we checked-in Thursday at the Bayfront, even when there were negative numbers for the inventory. However, it should be noted that we usually check-in by ~10:00 AM on Thursday.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 11:51:42 AM by Iris_aya »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #2588 on: May 15, 2017, 11:53:17 AM »

Not familiar with the Quality Inn, but the Doubletree looks a bit nicer and has the shuttle. (As [member=1256]Iris_aya[/member] pointed out you might be able to walk to the shuttle stop for the downtown Doubletree, one caveat is that in the past that has been at the end of the Pink shuttle route and some buses might be full in the morning.)

If the shuttle isn't important to you since you have the car, the Quality Inn might save you in travel time. It's also really close to Balboa park if you wanted to do anything in there.

Offline ripresa

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 62
« Reply #2589 on: May 15, 2017, 12:01:58 PM »
noob question: What does "Hotel Circle" mean?

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #2590 on: May 15, 2017, 12:04:42 PM »

It's a kind of loop just north and south of I-8 where there are a lot of hotels. You can type it into google maps to see what I mean.

Offline Kevin Bachelder

• Exhibit Hall
  • My Twitter - @kbachelder
    • DragonConNewbies.org
  • Liked: 28
« Reply #2591 on: May 15, 2017, 12:10:10 PM »
For people who are staying in Mission Valley, do you all usually just take the shuttle or rent a car? I think I'd like to avoid renting a car but if that's the best route to take, I may just do that.

I stayed at the San Diego Marriott Mission Valley last year.  I took the trolley a couple of times.  It was fine. It was about a 5-7 minute walk from the hotel.  Mostly I took Uber to get to the convention center area.  That was easy and didn't cost too much and was much quicker than the trolley.

Good luck,

Kevin
New to the awesomeness that is Dragon Con?

Tuning In To Scifi TV podcast (covering all genre TV shows)

Tales Of The Black Badge - A Wynonna Earp fan podcast

Offline Emerald_Mom

• Supporter
  • Gaming Lounge
  • Liked: 234
« Reply #2592 on: May 15, 2017, 12:10:31 PM »
I keep checking the hotel options, but nothing really interesting is showing up.... will be interesting to see if anything shows up the closer we get to the deadline for cancelling???
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”
― Dr. Seuss

Offline Breq

• Freebie Table
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #2593 on: May 15, 2017, 12:13:37 PM »
I keep seeing the Renaissance open and close, and also the Wyndham a few times. Renaissance is open as of this post, if anyone's wanting to hop on it!

Offline sessionka

• Supporter
  • Hall H
  • Liked: 713
« Reply #2594 on: May 15, 2017, 12:17:10 PM »

I have the 2015 shuttle service map, and Hotel Circle shows up on the 'Mission Valley' Section...  Or am I wrong.
Phasers on Stun!!!