Author Topic: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd  (Read 293491 times)

Offline highgiant

• Room 6BCF
  • Liked: 83
Re: SDCC 2017 Hotel Discussion, July 20th to July 23rd
« Reply #2625 on: May 15, 2017, 04:08:05 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The issue with this is that press like myself didn't get to register for a badge until after the hotel sale.  And some pros don't hear about it until really close to the con (specifically some pros on panels and stuff like that).  So unfortunately it doesn't work out very well limiting it to badge holders.

SD just need more hotels to be built :) any sign of any new hotels being built in the next few years or any of the existing hotels planning expansions?

Offline StarBell84

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #2626 on: May 15, 2017, 04:12:55 PM »
The issue with this is that press like myself didn't get to register for a badge until after the hotel sale.  And some pros don't hear about it until really close to the con (specifically some pros on panels and stuff like that).  So unfortunately it doesn't work out very well limiting it to badge holders.

I agree. I am a volunteer for one of the CCI departments. When the original email went out for the hotel sale back in April I didn't get it since it went to badge holders. It had to be sent to me so I could try for a place to stay there are a lot of people who do SDCC that get badges after the fact. A friend of mine asked why didn't OnPeak or CCI do three Hotel blocks, one for badge holders, one for CCI workers/volunteers/Press/Pro and one for those who fall in neither category. I couldn't answer her. Just shrugged. I don't see a fix for how things can change.
Free your inner nerd so your outer nerd has someone to talk to

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #2627 on: Today at 10:07:06 PM »

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #2627 on: May 15, 2017, 04:15:47 PM »
Does anyone know if the deadline for getting a refund is at 11:59pm or earlier?

Also, is the Town & Country Resort really horrible? I am not really concerned about it being old or musty, I'm just gonna sleep there so whatever, but I am concerned about bedbugs, and the Yelp reviews are concerning me.
This reminds me of Big Bang Theory. Amy was on the phone with Sheldon assuring him that there were no bed bugs at the hotel she was at. Before she hung up, she said something like "No, I will not sleep in my garment bag!" LOL. (I know it is a scary and legitimate concern-so I am not trying to make light of it!)

Sorry-back to our regularly scheduled hotel discussions.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 04:19:11 PM by Angology »
Ang

Offline Angel_

• Volunteer HQ
  • Aizawa Enthusiast
    • The Geekiary
  • Liked: 1537
« Reply #2628 on: May 15, 2017, 04:31:22 PM »
I agree. I am a volunteer for one of the CCI departments. When the original email went out for the hotel sale back in April I didn't get it since it went to badge holders. It had to be sent to me so I could try for a place to stay there are a lot of people who do SDCC that get badges after the fact. A friend of mine asked why didn't OnPeak or CCI do three Hotel blocks, one for badge holders, one for CCI workers/volunteers/Press/Pro and one for those who fall in neither category. I couldn't answer her. Just shrugged. I don't see a fix for how things can change.

Wow that's a pretty good idea to break it up like that.  I don't see them ever actually implementing it.  And I can see a lot of push back from regular badge holders. But I like this idea.  It always sucks to see industry people struggling to find a room, too.  I remember one year Felicia Day was shut out which just blew my mind since she's an SDCC staple.

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #2629 on: May 15, 2017, 05:55:24 PM »
Wow that's a pretty good idea to break it up like that.  I don't see them ever actually implementing it.  And I can see a lot of push back from regular badge holders. But I like this idea.  It always sucks to see industry people struggling to find a room, too.  I remember one year Felicia Day was shut out which just blew my mind since she's an SDCC staple.

It would never work because who would prioritize who? Badge holders would not be happy if pros and staff for instance got all the "good" hotels first. The same could be said about it being the inverse. I've always stated and will continue to state, having it be badge-holder only won't work PERIOD. Too many people do not have their badges yet. Until CCI can make it so that everyone that needs a badge of some sort, has it prior to the hotel sale, then no, it won't work limiting it to badge holders.

Offline Johnc86

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 43
« Reply #2630 on: May 15, 2017, 06:08:29 PM »
I kept refreshing and ended up getting the DoubleTree San Diego Downtown from a Mission Valley hotel! I couldn't believe it, almost broke my neck running to get my wallet (should have had it ready)...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 06:11:48 PM by Johnnyc86 »

Offline Angology

• Volunteer HQ
  • @Angology on IG
  • Liked: 1610
« Reply #2631 on: May 15, 2017, 06:14:52 PM »
I kept refreshing and ended up getting the DoubleTree San Diego Downtown from a Mission Valley hotel! I couldn't believe it, almost broke my neck running to get my wallet (should have had it ready)...
Congrats! And the wallet thing sounds like something I would do. Luckily, it turned out okay! Whew!
Ang

Offline catvonawesome

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 359
« Reply #2632 on: May 15, 2017, 06:47:00 PM »
Of course.... you could just camp out on the Hall H lawn on Friday night...  >:D

Haha! I personally, would've booked around it and switched hotels. They didn't want to. No one in our group does hall h or that would be the solution right there!
Do these tacos taste funny to you?

Offline Ahka

• Sails Pavilion
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2633 on: May 15, 2017, 06:52:34 PM »
If i understand correctly, we can cancel a waitlist room we booked today without penalty, if cancel on or before May 15. Does that mean we have until midnight? pacific time? Thanks!

Offline Jonathan

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 338
« Reply #2634 on: May 15, 2017, 06:52:48 PM »
Haha! I personally, would've booked around it and switched hotels. They didn't want to. No one in our group does hall h or that would be the solution right there!

I've camped out once for Ballroom 20. I don't know how anyone does it. I stayed awake all night with my friends. Then when we were finally inside, I kept falling asleep. I was asleep for half the panels (including the one I was camped out in line for)

Offline jnyama

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 27
« Reply #2635 on: May 15, 2017, 07:01:49 PM »
I've camped out once for Ballroom 20. I don't know how anyone does it. I stayed awake all night with my friends. Then when we were finally inside, I kept falling asleep. I was asleep for half the panels (including the one I was camped out in line for)

I have done that even without camping out. Getting into these panels is so stressful, I sometimes feel like once I finally get in, I either fall asleep or I have to spend half the time calculating where I have to run to for the next panel.

Offline MickeyJack

• Supporter
  • Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 591
« Reply #2636 on: May 15, 2017, 07:17:22 PM »

I camped out once for B20 for the Firefly 10 year panel. It was not much fun on the cement, but we were rewarded by a visit from Joss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Iris

• Supporter
  • Hall H
    • Website links to my discord for alternate contacting
  • Liked: 708
« Reply #2637 on: May 15, 2017, 07:45:30 PM »

Honestly, I'm a major insomniac, so even under ideal circumstances I can barely sleep. So always end up getting no sleep when I camp. Maybe it's just that I'm so used to severe sleep deprivation so I'm generally fine even sitting all day in Hall H without falling asleep. On the other hand, my friends can fall asleep almost anywhere so they manage to sleep camping out.

I would be willing to forgo a room, maybe, for Friday night. But at the same time you have no place (unless you have friends who can let you) to freshen up before panels and you have to figure out how to store your things, as it's generally only hotel parking that is all day. Sleeping on concrete etc. and feeling fine all day though definitely requires preparation.

But yeah, you'd have to get all your crap out of the room by 12, generally, and then either move hotels or find a place you can sit your car for the entire night (as you have to be out of the parking lots ~2am generally.) Of course I guess you could probably make plans for a  secured parking facility by the airport etc. then you'd have to check back in to a hotel. Of course, TJ mentioned that some people who checked in later in the week during the con have encountered the issues with the potential overbooking...

Edit: and I meant to add this in before I posted buuut

Congrats on the upgrade! Oh yeah @.@ that's why I try to get everyone's CC info before any chances to buy for SDCC. By this point in my group of roommates they're actually saying "Just in case I can't be there to answer, I'm going to give you this a week before."
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 08:04:37 PM by Iris_aya »
Author of the Hotel Exchange Deposit and Transfer Walkthrough. If you need help with figuring out the logistics of an OP deposit, transfer, etc., please feel free to DM me here or Discord and I'll do my best to help. If you DM me on Discord, please identify yourself and that you're from the forum.

Offline jazzyj

• Gaming Lounge
  • Cheese and Carb Enthusiast
  • Liked: 302
« Reply #2638 on: May 15, 2017, 08:01:48 PM »
Does anyone know if I'd be penalized if I get a hotel off of the waitlist after already having a hotel confirmation on file?

I was able to get a hotel from the exchange this year and had it transferred to "Email A." "Email A" also received a hotel offer from OnPeak but since I got a better hotel on the exchange, I let the offer email expire, meaning I also have the "Buy Now" link and access to the waitlist inventory.

My friends didn't receive a waitlist email and are trying to move closer to the con. If they use "Email A"'s waitlist login, which already has the transferred hotel on file, and book a hotel through that, would OnPeak view that as a duplicate and cancel one or both reservations? I do want to help them but I don't want to get my own hotel cancelled.

Offline joey125

• Exhibit Hall
  • Liked: 26
« Reply #2639 on: May 15, 2017, 08:10:45 PM »
I apologize if this doesn't belong here, but time is running out and I'd love to help out if possible.

I have the Sofia (deposit already processed) that I will be cancelling this evening. is it PT or ET? Is there a safe way to transfer this or should I just send it back into the inventory and let people know?
🔥 bad. 🌳 pretty.