Author Topic: Comic Art Appreciation  (Read 127247 times)

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
Re: Comic Art Appreciation
« Reply #420 on: March 05, 2017, 08:43:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yup, got those Coipel titles.  Whenever I find an artist I like, I comicbookdatabase them and hit the dollar bins hard.  :)

Same.  I am a big James Stokoe fan.  He has a new book coming out - Aliens.  :)  Here's a pic: 
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2123
« Reply #421 on: March 06, 2017, 01:41:19 PM »
comic_con Will Eisner was born on March 6th, 1917. Today would have been his 100th birthday. A beloved artist, author, and champion of the Graphic Novel. While he is greatly missed, we celebrate the art he left behind.

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #422 on: Today at 03:05:50 AM »

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 2023
« Reply #422 on: March 07, 2017, 10:01:42 PM »
Same.  I am a big James Stokoe fan.  He has a new book coming out - Aliens.  :)  Here's a pic: 

Loved Stokoe's Godzilla stuff for IDW, Aliens is a great choice for him. I haven't looked at Wonton Soup in some time, but I can't seem to find it.

I am definitely in the camp of people that didn't get Sienkiewicz at first. At one convention I saw him at he had a stack of drawings that you could just go through, some amazing portraits. (Then he went to do a panel and just left some $100K or more of work just sitting there on his table.)

This is from the Locust Moon Little Nemo kickstarter, some "behind the scenes" of his contribution to the project.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1792
« Reply #423 on: March 07, 2017, 10:10:02 PM »
At comic con, Adam Hughes wife Allison Sohn who is also an artist said, "If you want to learn how to draw hands, look at Alan Davis' work."

My first comment to her was, "Not your husband's work?  He's sitting right there.  ::points:: And he can hear you.".  :)

My long term reaction is:  Whenever is read Alan Davis' work, I spend the whole time looking at everyone's hands.

Offline Pyramid

• Supporter
  • Volunteer HQ
  • Comic Con is a Black Hole for my wallet.
  • Liked: 549
« Reply #424 on: March 07, 2017, 10:41:15 PM »
Loved Stokoe's Godzilla stuff for IDW, Aliens is a great choice for him. I haven't looked at Wonton Soup in some time, but I can't seem to find it.

His Godzilla work is also phenomenal!  If you get a chance try to track down the Kickstarter book he did, Sullivan's Sluggers!  It's great as well!  Here's a pic: 
Twitter feed:  wes@comicconster

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #425 on: March 13, 2017, 12:14:39 PM »
Welcome back!

When ResurrXion hits Marvel Comics in April, not only will the publisher’s X-Men line be revamped and expanded, every one of the mutant-led titles will find its cover graced by the return of the corner box art.

Now, this isn’t the corner box art of old. Artist Leonard Kirk and colorist Michael Garland have updated the classic rectangle to fit nicely in each title’s new X-icon, situated right behind the logo or, in some cases, as part of the logo.

A staple of comic book companies for decades, Marvel Comics took the idea of corner box artwork to new heights, using the small piece of cover real estate to add jokes, tease secrets and just generally add some additional character to its covers. In time, the rectangle, usually located in the upper-left corner of the cover, became an iconic aspect of Marvel’s monthly releases. Oftentimes, it was used to give readers a shorthand roster of who they’d find inside their team books, or to show which member of the Avengers, X-Men or other team would be the focus of that issue’s story. Other times, the corner boxes would tell a (very basic) story of their own, unfolding across multiple issues. (CBR’s Brian Cronin wrote up an excellent historical look at the corner box.)

Though once ubiquitous corner box faded away, to the point where you’d now be hard pressed to find one at all on current comics, fans have long loved the uniquely comic book artwork. They remain such a popular aspect of the medium that Marvel recently launched a variant cover program in which acclaimed painter Joe Jusko has been recreating classic corner box artwork as full-sized variants. As part of the series, Jusko has reinterpreted the works of Jack Kirby, John Buscema and more. But aside from that, the corner box has remained a relic of the past - until April, that is, when Marvel will bring them back in a big way as part of the publisher’s soft-reboot of its X-Men line.

Check out the gallery below for every one of Kirk and Garlad’s new corner box designs, as well as how examples of how their art will look on the first Resurrxion issue of every X-title available in April.

Also, following this weekly round-up: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 07:45:03 PM by AzT »

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #426 on: April 05, 2017, 07:59:16 AM »

Here's a look at the art DC Comics showed off this weekend at WonderCon. Images include art and covers from Batman #20, Detective Comics #954-955, Batgirl and the Birds of Prey #9-10, Cyborg #11-12, Green Lanterns #19-20, the WildStorm: A Celebration of 25 Years harcover and Jim Lee's cover to July's Dark Days: The Casting #1.

Wondercon Artwork On Sale Now! - Cooper, Drake, Manev, Poirier, Wilson and more!

« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 12:06:00 PM by AzT »

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #427 on: April 08, 2017, 10:16:51 PM »

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #428 on: April 12, 2017, 07:53:28 PM »
darkhorsecomics Stan Sakai's iconic masterpiece USAGI YOJIMBO is nominated for a 2017 National Cartoonist Society Reuben Award!

Offline AzT

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #429 on: April 23, 2017, 08:04:48 PM »

Usagi Yojimbo (兎用心棒 Usagi Yōjinbō, “rabbit bodyguard”) is a comic book series created by Stan Sakai. Set primarily at the beginning of the Edo period of Japanese history, the series features anthropomorphic animals replacing humans. Miyamoto Usagi, the title character, debuted in “Albedo Anthropomorphic” #2 in November 1984 from Thoughts And Images. Fantagraphics then picked up the character, appearing in “Critters” and eventually landing his own monthly series. Usagi was also published for a time by Mirage Studios, the home of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, for 16 issues until 1996 when Sakai and his series found their current home with Dark Horse Comics.

Usagi Yojimbo became a household name thanks in part to the 1980s “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” cartoon and toy line. With his appearance on the cartoon and one of the most popular action figures in the line, it was only natural for the fans to discover the “Usagi Yojimbo” comic books. Not only did these characters crossover on the cartoon, but also they had multiple adventures in the comics as their worlds collided with one another, often focusing on tales of Usagi and Leonardo. As much fun as it was to read that, it was even greater to see independent comic creators bring one another along in their individual successes as Kevin Eastman & Peter Laird (TMNT Co-creators) did with Stan Sakai and vice versa.

Three publishers, 31 trade paperbacks, over 160 issues, and 5 Eisner awards later, it would seem Usagi’s still going strong and is more popular than ever. 2017 is going to be a BIG year for “Usagi Yojimbo” — Miyamoto Usagi will guest star in 3 episodes of Nickelodeon’s “Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” animated series, voiced by John Boyega of “Star Wars: The Force Awakens”. Along with that, he’ll see 5 action figures from Playmates, his first in 13 years! The big news, though — Stan Sakai will be writing AND drawing an ALL NEW “Usagi Yojimbo/TMNT” one shot from IDW Publishing! No matter what your calendar tells you, 2017 is definitely looking like the Year Of The Rabbit

The “Usagi Yojimbo” exhibit will be running from April 20th in to late June.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #430 on: April 23, 2017, 11:12:29 PM »
Usagi Yojimbo is hands down one of the best comics series of all time, and all ages at that. Plus Stan Sakai is one of the nicest people in the history of, well ... people. I was at a small con years ago, at an artist's booth, going through the prints she had for sale. Stan Sakai comes up next to me and starts going through the stack as well, grabs one, gives the artist $20 and starts to walk away. She calls out to him to wait since they only cost $5 and he has change coming. He turns, bows, and politely informs her that her prints are worth much more than $5, then keeps walking away. Meanwhile I'm still standing there like an idiot, but I get to see how happy she looked. I don't think an artist could have asked for a bigger confidence builder than that. 

More recently, the Silicon Valley Comic Con featured a Usagi Yojimbo VR game which was really well done. I did the demo and got to talk to the gamemakers. Stan Sakai was very involved with the development, but in a funny way. I forget the name of the tool the used for the graphics, but apparently Stan messed around with it for a few minutes and then starting making graphics better than anything that had been made for the game so far, so a good bit of his artwork ended up in the game, much to the delightment and frustration of all.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #431 on: April 25, 2017, 02:13:16 PM »

I only recently discovered Stuart Immonen.  I really like his run on X-Men.

Offline mark

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #432 on: April 25, 2017, 05:00:01 PM »
I only recently discovered Stuart Immonen.  I really like his run on X-Men.

He's great. Have you checked out Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E?

Also, speaking of Stokoe, I've recently just caught up on the recent Moon Knight issues, which use art from both Stokoe and  Francesco Francavilla. I don't want to say whys since it's part of the story but it's really effective.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #433 on: April 25, 2017, 05:40:37 PM »
He's great. Have you checked out Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E?

Also, speaking of Stokoe, I've recently just caught up on the recent Moon Knight issues, which use art from both Stokoe and  Francesco Francavilla. I don't want to say whys since it's part of the story but it's really effective.

Not yet.  I'll have to try to find those next time I'm at the store.  Thanks.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Volunteer HQ
« Reply #434 on: April 28, 2017, 07:00:52 AM »
Simone Bianchi