Author Topic: D23 Episode II: How will it impact SDCC this year?  (Read 15117 times)

Offline Transmute Jun

• Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Queen of the Bird Missiles
  • Liked: 9714
Re: D23 Episode II: How will it impact SDCC this year?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 12:45:56 PM »
I think you're right. If that one is picked up (and it seems like it would be picked up) then there will be a lot of tie-in promotion at SDCC.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
  • Liked: 1770
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 05:01:18 PM »
If the last D23 is any indication, I think it is likely that we won't see:

* a Marvel movie panel.  I was really bummed a few years ago that there was no AVENGERS panel because Disney wanted to save it for D23.  Unfortunately (kind of) for us (or at least unfortunately for CCI attendees), AVENGERS made a metric ton of cash without a proper Comic-Con panel: i.e. they kinda proved that they don't need a Comic-Con panel to still make a load of money.  I think it's probable there won't be a panel for THOR 2 or CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER, or any other Marvel movie in production.

* any Disney movie panels.  Last year we saw OZ: THE GREAT AND POWERFUL, FRANKENWEENIE, and WRECK IT RALPH (am I missing one?).  The year before we had zilch.  Count on this happening, as well as no Pixar panel (there hasn't been one at Comic-Con since, I think, Toy Story 3, but there was a cool Pixar panel at the last D23).

* Star Wars?  This is toss-up.  I'm pretty positive we'll miss out on Disney and Marvel films, but I'm not so confident about Star Wars.  Comic-Con is THE place to get the masses excited for the next Star Wars property, and it would be the perfect place to show any sort of concept art, or to announce a director & cast.  Disney might hold back this ginormous property for their own expo, or maybe they'll double-dip and do both shows.  Can you imagine how much hype Disney could garner if they announced a director, brought out Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, and Harrison Ford as a tease/announcement they'll be involved in some way?!  They would freaking win Comic-Con! 

Of course, with only two D23 convention so far, there might not be as big of a sample to get an accurate guesstimate.  Maybe Disney will bring smaller (relatively) Marvel, or Star Wars panels but bring the real awesome footage to D23. 
As a Cleveland sports fan, I've found it's best to be pessimistic and assume the worst, then you'll be pleasantly surprised if something better happens :P

Friends of Comic Cons

« Reply #17 on: Today at 03:20:10 AM »

Yzrfan

D23 Episode II: How will it impact SDCC this year?
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 05:28:46 PM »
I think Marvel, Lucas, and Disney will all have a presence at SDCC and D23. I don't think Disney will keep Lucas and Marvel strictly for D23. D23 is catered towards more of the traditional Disney fan. Disney knows Lucas and Marvel is a huge player in SDCC and won't take them away from it. Just my opinion. Like the maker said the deal was in the making for awhile and Disney has seen first hand the importance of both Lucas and Marvel is to SDCC.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 06:29:08 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think Marvel, Lucas, and Disney will all have a presence at SDCC and D23. I don't think Disney will keep Lucas and Marvel strictly for D23. D23 is catered towards more of the traditional Disney fan. Disney knows Lucas and Marvel is a huge player in SDCC and won't take them away from it. Just my opinion. Like the maker said the deal was in the making for awhile and Disney has seen first hand the importance of both Lucas and Marvel is to SDCC.

For sure, they'll be in the Exhibit Hall.  Two years ago, when there was no Marvel movie panel and no Disney film panel, they were TOTALLY hyping AVENGERS, unveiling posters, props, etc. every day of the Con (including the totally rad Avengers t-shirt).  There's also no way there won't be a Lucasfilm 'booth' (those bigger corporations are a bit large to consider them just booths).  But if last D23 cycle is any indication, it is very likely there will not be a Marvel movie panel, a Disney movie panel, and maybe even a Star Wars movie panel.
Believe, I really hope I'm wrong.  I've been to every Marvel movie panel that's been at Comic-Con over the years: from the Iron Man goof the first year when Favs showed us a "teaser" that was the old school cartoon intro, to last year's dance party, and everything in between.  I've gotten awesome swag every single year for every Marvel movie: t-shirts from every Marvel film (except for Incredible Hulk, which they didn't hype as much).  I'm really curious to see what Thor 2 looks like, and I'm dying to see what Marvel does with WINTER SOLDIER: I don't want to pay the highish prices of D23 (if for no other reason, my 11 year old son is free at Comic-Con, but will cost $121 to take to D23.  Really hope I'm wrong...

Yzrfan

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 06:52:41 PM »
Last D23 had a cup of joe and they did show a clip of the avengers. D23 is strictly Disney staples (movies, tv shows, parks, and merchandise). You don't  have anything to worry about, unless Mickey Mouse joins the avengers.

angel_k

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 08:59:18 PM »
If the last D23 is any indication, I think it is likely that we won't see:

* a Marvel movie panel.  I was really bummed a few years ago that there was no AVENGERS panel because Disney wanted to save it for D23.  Unfortunately (kind of) for us (or at least unfortunately for CCI attendees), AVENGERS made a metric ton of cash without a proper Comic-Con panel: i.e. they kinda proved that they don't need a Comic-Con panel to still make a load of money.  I think it's probable there won't be a panel for THOR 2 or CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER, or any other Marvel movie in production.

Noooooo.  I really really hope you're wrong.  How did D23 affect ABC stuff at con?  Because Thor is great and all, but I'm more excited about SHIELD because Whedon is involved.  I'd love to have both, but if I had to choose, I'm going with the Whedon project.

In general, what is ABC's presence like at con?  I know NBC shut down an entire street or something for Revolution.  Can we expect similar type of hype from ABC?

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 11:48:25 PM »
In general, what is ABC's presence like at con?  I know NBC shut down an entire street or something for Revolution.  Can we expect similar type of hype from ABC?

I don't remember a huge ABC specific presence last year (just the Neighbors house/booth thing.  I don't think ABC had any other booths) and while they did Once Upon A Time and 666 Park Avenue panels, they didn't bring Castle (which they previously had).  From what I remember, they also had some of the pedicabs decked out for OUAT and 666 was one of the shows featured on the hotel key cards.

However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if ABC pushes S.H.I.E.L.D. harder at Comic Con than those shows, given how tailor made for Comic Con it is/the large presence Marvel usually has.

angel_k

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 12:24:09 AM »
I don't remember a huge ABC specific presence last year (just the Neighbors house/booth thing.  I don't think ABC had any other booths) and while they did Once Upon A Time and 666 Park Avenue panels, they didn't bring Castle (which they previously had).  From what I remember, they also had some of the pedicabs decked out for OUAT and 666 was one of the shows featured on the hotel key cards.

However, I wouldn't be at all surprised if ABC pushes S.H.I.E.L.D. harder at Comic Con than those shows, given how tailor made for Comic Con it is/the large presence Marvel usually has.

I've been poking around schedules of last year and it looks like they showed a sneak peak of 666 on preview night.  I've never even heard of that show so I didn't realize it was ABC.  That looks hopeful for lots of awesome SHIELD stuff.  I can only hope they'll have a completed pilot by then and want to share it.

All this talk about SHIELD inspired a rewatch of the Avengers today.  Not that I need an excuse to rewatch it, but I am totally pumped up about this now.  Might marathon all of them soon.

Offline DaveG

• Pre-Registration
  • Liked: 572
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 11:32:15 AM »
I think if Disney doesn't do a Marvel panel at SDCC they are making a big mistake.  Some properties, like the Avengers, already had enough momentum that with or without SDCC it was going to be big.  But they do plan to launch Guardians of the Galaxy in the near future.  That's a relatively unknown property outside of comic book geeks.  I think any opportunity they pass to start building buzz around that is a mistake.

I also think a SHIELD panel would rock and generate a huge amount of excitement!  I'm very much looking forward to that show and since the TV presence at SDCC continues to get more popular, I think they would miss yet another opportunity to give this show a good head start.

I'm sure there is some stuff they can hold back on and save for D23, but it seems those are two opportunities they shouldn't pass on.

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 01:04:41 PM »
I think if Disney doesn't do a Marvel panel at SDCC they are making a big mistake.  Some properties, like the Avengers, already had enough momentum that with or without SDCC it was going to be big.  But they do plan to launch Guardians of the Galaxy in the near future.  That's a relatively unknown property outside of comic book geeks.  I think any opportunity they pass to start building buzz around that is a mistake.
I think you could argue that THOR & CAPTAIN AMERICA are pretty big properties now as well. 
You're right about Guardians of the Galaxy, but that would likely be a Comic-Con 2014 panel and not 2013.

I also think a SHIELD panel would rock and generate a huge amount of excitement!  I'm very much looking forward to that show and since the TV presence at SDCC continues to get more popular, I think they would miss yet another opportunity to give this show a good head start.
I agree, and I'm not so sure about a TV show/panel.  TV is a bit riskier than film, and a SHIEL show minus the popular AVENGERS heroes might be a toughish sell & I could see Disney promoting the snot out of it at Comic-Con. 

I'm sure there is some stuff they can hold back on and save for D23, but it seems those are two opportunities they shouldn't pass on.
The two upcoming Marvel movies are well-established properties, and AVENGERS was a risky move a few years ago.  It seems like a no-brainer to us now (especially the more fanatical of us who post on Comic-Con boards), but for Marvel it was a pretty big gamble.  With Disney making the risky move in 2011 to skip a Comic-Con & NOT have an AVENGERS panel (after, kind of frankly, Comic-Con helped sell IRON MAN to the mainstream & helped propel Marvel movies to the big time) and then have AVENGERS become one of the highest grossing films of all time, I'm sure they're confident they can follow the same strategy in 2013.

Again, I'd love nothing more than to be wrong.  But I think if you temper your expectations, expect the worst, then if Disney has a Marvel panel in 2013 we'll be pleasantly surprised & happy

Offline perc2100

• Volunteer HQ
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 01:14:11 PM »
Last D23 had a cup of joe and they did show a clip of the avengers. D23 is strictly Disney staples (movies, tv shows, parks, and merchandise). You don't  have anything to worry about, unless Mickey Mouse joins the avengers.

Actually, last D23 in 2011 there were several cast members at the AVENGERS panel where they showed an extended trailer and a sizzle reel.  It was a pretty big deal, and mirrored most of Marvel's CCI panels over the yeas.
At Comic-Con 2011 there were zero Marvel movie panels.  They had a presence, for sure, in the Exhibit Hall but there were no panels.

There have only been two D23, but Disney made it known in 2011 that they were building a Convention to rival/mimic Comic-Con.  They're likely not going to skip CCI this year, but it's pretty possible (I would say probable) that there will not be a Marvel movie panel, and probably not any Disney movie panels.  Don't know about TV shows, and there's no doubt that Marvel will continue to have a huge presence in the Exhibit Hall.  But don't be so sure about panels.  There have only been two D23 Exhibits, and one could make the argument that there is too small a sample to determine a trend.  I'm just saying it would not be surprising if there weren't those panels at CCI.

FWIW I was pretty surprised that there was no Avengers panel in 2011.  I argued with friends and colleagues for a month, confident that Marvel would keep their streak and have a film panel at CCI.  When the schedule came out, I was taken aback by the confirmation of no AVENGERS panel, no Disney panels, etc.  Hope like hell I'm wrong, but don't count on it

Offline oneroomdisco

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 197
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 01:21:23 PM »
I think you could argue that THOR & CAPTAIN AMERICA are pretty big properties now as well. 
You're right about Guardians of the Galaxy, but that would likely be a Comic-Con 2014 panel and not 2013.

I've wondered a lot about GotG, since 2014 would seem the most logical, except that it's scheduled to release the week after SDCC 2014.  And given its position as the riskiest/least known MCU project yet, I could see Marvel wanting to try and build up some hype this year.

Most of the rumored start dates has them filming this summer, so I wouldn't be all that surprised if they brought the cast/showed a tiny teaser.

Offline EnglishmanInSanDiego

• Ballroom 20
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 05:04:00 PM »
We talk about a lack of Avengers presence at Comic-Con - then neglect to remember, it was at Comic-Con 2010 they brought out the entire team for the first time, including the unveiling of Mark Ruffalo, and then the following year, the HeliCarrier set to the Exhibit Hall (complete with movie extras), one week after they had completed shooting on it. I know we can try and fold in some grand conspiracy but we've now all seen the amount of CGI involved with that movie and, I think, the timing of the panel just did not work out for Comic-Con.

As for Guardians..., I agree - it's too risky a project and an unknown quantity to not preview whenever and wherever they can - 2013's Hall H 'Iron Man'-like sizzle reveal, perhaps? Maybe, if they get enough done in London in time...

You let The Man get you down, The Man wins - I say, Damn The Man.
"I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."
Don't let The Man get you down; you do that and The Man wins. I say, Damn The Man. "I cannot lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies."

Yzrfan

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 05:25:22 PM »
And last year they did have the Item 41 (i think thats the right number)hunt/screening in the Gas Lamp.

Offline alyssa

• Administrator
  • Stan Lee's Hospitality Suite
  • Liked: 7001
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2013, 05:53:24 AM »
<snip>
FWIW I was pretty surprised that there was no Avengers panel in 2011.  I argued with friends and colleagues for a month, confident that Marvel would keep their streak and have a film panel at CCI.  When the schedule came out, I was taken aback by the confirmation of no AVENGERS panel, no Disney panels, etc.  Hope like hell I'm wrong, but don't count on it
I gotta agree with you on this one. I too was one of those who clung to the notion Marvel would have a panel at the 2011 con. 
Donations gratefully accepted. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login,
Our Twitters @FoCCBlog @friendsofcci
"Are you willing to give up all you are, to keep all you have?" G'kar Babylon 5